onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Our new signings

Beech

I know we're only a bunch of games in. This is by no means a thread to write any of our new signings off. That should go without saying.

But which one's have impressed you and haven't impressed you so far? Which one's would you consider as upgrades on the players we released earlier this summer?

Obviously Proctor has had a great start. Even without his goals, his link up play is generally very good. We need more out of whoever partners him, whether that's Wilson, Rodney or Amoo. He's far exceeded my expectations so far, and long may it continue. Garrity has had some poor games and some very good ones, but definitely looks a prospect. Another I expected little from anytime soon but has surprised me.

So far I've been most dissapointed with Benning. He was the one signing we made in the summer that I was most excited for. Looks very poor defensively and hasn't offered enough going forward yet either. Not been impressed with Martin either, as of yet. He looks a very basic defender, and not as good in the air as he should be for someone his size.

I'm sure they will all improve, given time. But a couple of them certainly need to.

Advert

2 hours ago, Beech said:

I know we're only a bunch of games in. This is by no means a thread to write any of our new signings off. That should go without saying.

But which one's have impressed you and haven't impressed you so far? Which one's would you consider as upgrades on the players we released earlier this summer?

Obviously Proctor has had a great start. Even without his goals, his link up play is generally very good. We need more out of whoever partners him, whether that's Wilson, Rodney or Amoo. He's far exceeded my expectations so far, and long may it continue. Garrity has had some poor games and some very good ones, but definitely looks a prospect. Another I expected little from anytime soon but has surprised me.

So far I've been most dissapointed with Benning. He was the one signing we made in the summer that I was most excited for. Looks very poor defensively and hasn't offered enough going forward yet either. Not been impressed with Martin either, as of yet. He looks a very basic defender, and not as good in the air as he should be for someone his size.

I'm sure they will all improve, given time. But a couple of them certainly need to.

Impressed by Walker, Garrity, Jones, Pett and Proctor. 
I think Wilson has done ok and is certainly an upgrade on Robinson/Guthrie. 
Cass is good for a back up, as is Stone.

Need to see more of Martin before I can form an opinion.

Not convinced on Covolan yet, but will give him chance to change my mind. Benning been poor but he’s got a good track record at this level so hopefully he can turn it round. 
Johnson doesn’t look good enough for this level (but will again give him a chance before I write him off).

Any clowns who say this team isn’t better than last season are incredibly deluded. Just a matter of whether the players can put it together and I believe they can.

Lets hope they all come good they probably ain't used to playing in front of good crowds if they want keep it that way then they have to win games .

Up to yet very I am very impressed with Pett Garrity and D Jones and J Proctor like Walker also the rest they have moments of excellence and moments of poor play but I am sure they will eradicate that as they gel and get to understand what the manager wants from them .

The futures bright ive seen enough in the three games I've seen to say that they could well click and beat the  majority of this league  

Garrity and Jones have surprised me didn’t expect too much from them two. Jones has been excellent. Proctor I would say has also surprised. I thought he would be a good player but he looks very dangerous in front of goal. 

Been disappointed with Benning so far, he is a quality player at this level, same with Martin but I think they will improve and be key players. 
Wilson and Covolan also for me. These were the two signings I really wasn’t sure about and they’ve not changed my mind so far. (Plenty of time yet) I think once Wilson gets one, he could get a few more, seems a real confidence player and to be fair has linked up well with proctor. 

Some over performed, some under performed. Will even out through the season and class will show through.

Can you imagine going to work for a 6 day week (6 league games) and being assessed every day from day 1 as to how good you are. Only for your boss to turn round and say your <ovf censored> at the end of the week.

Some started better than others.  Not all will come off.  Rudgie used to say he hoped to right more often than he was wrong.  Proctor Jones and Garrity biggest positives, Benning and Martin biggest negatives so far - but we are only 6 games in!

Reality is it will take more than one window to get where we / DC want to be.

Someone did an excellent player by player comparison on the transfer thread - hard to argue that the vast majority are not upgrades, but time will tell!

Every one who has had notable minutes has impressed me, in the context of a comparison with what we had last season. Those who've hardly played I haven't seen enough to form any judgment.

Proctor - Huge upgrade on Pope. Wins nearly everything in the air and, more pertinently, his flick ons actually have direction and intent. Can also score - 10 out of 10 so far

Wilson - Clearly an upgrade on Robinson and Guthrie. Some of his touches are championship level. Just needs a goal - 7 out of 10

Pett, Walker and Garrity - Again, clearly all upgrades on Joyce, Manny (they can actually play a notable amount of games) and Burgess, in terms of tackling, positioning, passing and drive - 7 out of 10

Jones - Best signing of the summer so far. Brisley not fit to lace his boots - 10 out of 10

Martin - Not great, but not awful either - 6 out of 10

Benning - Big disappointment given his alleged stellar reputation, but still better than Fitzpatrick. Hopefully he'll come good, but if he's looking for L1 next season, it may have to be with us or not at all - 5 out of 10

Cass - really like him. Great going forward and none to shabby at the back. Mills upgrade without question - 7 out of 10

Covolan - capable enough. Gets a hard time unfairly in my view just because he's different to what we're used to. Can't blame him for any goals conceded yet unless you're really looking for a stick to beat him with. No worse than Brown - 6 out of 10

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

Every one who has had notable minutes has impressed me, in the context of a comparison with what we had last season. Those who've hardly played I haven't seen enough to form any judgment.

Proctor - Huge upgrade on Pope. Wins nearly everything in the air and, more pertinently, his flick ons actually have direction and intent. Can also score - 10 out of 10 so far

Wilson - Clearly an upgrade on Robinson and Guthrie. Some of his touches are championship level. Just needs a goal - 7 out of 10

Pett, Walker and Garrity - Again, clearly all upgrades on Joyce, Manny (they can actually play a notable amount of games) and Burgess, in terms of tackling, positioning, passing and drive - 7 out of 10

Jones - Best signing of the summer so far. Brisley not fit to lace his boots - 10 out of 10

Martin - Not great, but not awful either - 6 out of 10

Benning - Big disappointment given his alleged stellar reputation, but still better than Fitzpatrick. Hopefully he'll come good, but if he's looking for L1 next season, it may have to be with us or not at all - 5 out of 10

Cass - really like him. Great going forward and none to shabby at the back. Mills upgrade without question - 7 out of 10

Covolan - capable enough. Gets a hard time unfairly in my view just because he's different to what we're used to. Can't blame him for any goals conceded yet unless you're really looking for a stick to beat him with. No worse than Brown - 6 out of 10

I think that's a fair summary. Some may still need time settling in / finding form; Wilson needs a goal to boost his confidence - but the skill level is there.

19 minutes ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

Agree with plenty on here. But none of the CMs are close to Manny's ability.

You mean the currently injured Manny?

When you look at some of the guys we had last year like Mills, Fitzpatrick, Crookes, McKirdy, Robinson, Whitehead, and Co, can you honestly say the lads who have come in aren't better?

Covolan is suffering because he is not Scott Brown - nowt to do with his keeping.  After about a dozen games last year I put a post on here, very risky at the time, asking if anyone agreed that Scott had not been up to his usual standard - a number of posters agreed with me.  His performance level had fallen away and when you look at some of his performances like at home to Walsall he was nowhere near the level he had been for his previous two seasons.  Served us well and a great bloke but he was on the way down.  We need to judge Covolan on how he performs, not on the fact that he has replaced a former fans favourite.  A man whose opinion on football I respect above all tells me he is a very good goalkeeper.  That'll do for me.

We have a lot of players moving to the area, new houses, moving family etc

It would be crazy to expect that everyone be settled and 100% right now

Calm down.

We're hardly bottom of the league with zero wins are we?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we've out shot the opposition in every game but one this season. We're doing okay and are a work in progress.

3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

You mean the currently injured Manny?

When you look at some of the guys we had last year like Mills, Fitzpatrick, Crookes, McKirdy, Robinson, Whitehead, and Co, can you honestly say the lads who have come in aren't better?

Covolan is suffering because he is not Scott Brown - nowt to do with his keeping.  After about a dozen games last year I put a post on here, very risky at the time, asking if anyone agreed that Scott had not been up to his usual standard - a number of posters agreed with me.  His performance level had fallen away and when you look at some of his performances like at home to Walsall he was nowhere near the level he had been for his previous two seasons.  Served us well and a great bloke but he was on the way down.  We need to judge Covolan on how he performs, not on the fact that he has replaced a former fans favourite.  A man whose opinion on football I respect above all tells me he is a very good goalkeeper.  That'll do for me.

Like I said, the majority are better. Some much better. Manny is an exception. I very specifically referred to his ability in my comment. Quite simple, really.

I back Covolan 100%. Looks a decent keeper to me (I played in goal for 20 years). You did slate Scott for "not getting his body behind" the ball that bobbled over his foot, if memory serves. That kind of criticism doesn't help anyone. And its the kind of nonsense that is being spouted at Lucas now. 

9 hours ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

Like I said, the majority are better. Some much better. Manny is an exception. I very specifically referred to his ability in my comment. Quite simple, really.

I back Covolan 100%. Looks a decent keeper to me (I played in goal for 20 years). You did slate Scott for "not getting his body behind" the ball that bobbled over his foot, if memory serves. That kind of criticism doesn't help anyone. And its the kind of nonsense that is being spouted at Lucas now. 

But what is the point of having ability if he's never on the pitch to show it?

He made 26 appearances in the last 2 seasons with us.

We could have Lionel Messi on the books but if he only played 1 game a season he'd be a waste of a wage.

Archived