Jump to content

Match Thread: Swindon Town v Port Vale


Fosse69

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

Montano was recruited by a club playing in a higher league than lge2 and he has played although not in a lge game. It was Brown and Joyce's decision to suit them and their families. The information on the podcast viz Montano  is very interesting.

Livingston are bottom of the SPL and Monty hasn't played a league minute, so it's all good and well being recruited to a better league but he seemingly isn't good enough to feature in it, in the worst team up there. Argument doesn't stand up. 

Brown and Joyce; is that conjecture or do you know them personally? I find it hard to believe that Brown moves his family to Devon after turning down a contract at League 1 Wycombe to join us, as it was an easier commute from his Wolverhampton home. Joyce; yeah, it's nearby for him, but there's loads of North-Western clubs at better levels than Fylde. He's playing against semi-professionals regularly. 

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

Popey is giving his opinion, you obviously don't like what he's says. I haven't listened to all the podcast yet but in the piece I've listened to he doesn't lambast Monty's mental stability.

I don't like him undermining the current setup, no, not in such personal and aggressive ways. He has a right to an opinion but calling people 'scumbags' and taking the mick out of their accent is 'toys out of pram' behaviour. He claimed Monty wasn't mentally stable.  People jokingly use his 'trust the process' line when things go well, the same way he used it to give the club/people working at the club a good kicking. Can't put yourself out there so egregiously and not face blowback if your aggressive claims don't match up.

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

Plenty of negative things have been said about Popey but this is the first "no holds barred" response I've heard from him.

Not sure what this means. I don't agree with the way he went about his departure. I'm not fussed about whether its no holds barred or not. It was unfair on the fans of Port Vale who have worshipped him for nearly a decade, hearing a player they love undermine the setup they are backing this season in the hope of rare success. Great memories of the player but he's left a real sour taste for many.

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

Look on the thread if it's still available. Yep that positivity served Vale well, if Ribeiro had recruited a 3-4 overseas  players then the majority of fans would have applauded him for trying something "Out side of the box".

It was 5 years ago. I was as critical as anyone, but I find it hard to have a go at Vale fans for being optimistic before a ball has been kicked. If they're still being blinkered when things have clearly gone wrong, then that's silly/rose tinted, but let's let Vale fans enjoy being Vale fans, yeah? No idea what the relevance is. 'Football fans are optimistic about their own team'?

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

Vale are unlikely to get promoted signing players who are as good or just an improvement on the likes of  Whitehead or Fitzpatrick. Vale will get promoted when players as good or better than Worrall or Legge are recruited, it's not rocket science. Some positives so far are Proctors composed finishing and Garrity's energy but It's early days and time will tell.

Won't find me disagreeing. Too early to judge but the signs are promising. We finished 13th with a lot of players we have since seemingly improved on.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

If the keeper is under orders to hoof from a goal kick then the rest of the team need to clear the box and get their backsides upfield.

What did Bowers say about that great save Covolan made at 1-1 which probably kept us in the game?

I'm not sure that is always the case. By dropping deep it forces the opposition to push up meaning that when the keeper lumps it up there is more space and time to get the ball under control and find a pass. It also means if they win the ball they are further up the pitch.

Saying that is a bit like saying you should always throw the ball up the line, there are plenty of reasons to do it and also plenty of reasons not to do it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Joe B said:

Livingston are bottom of the SPL and Monty hasn't played a league minute, so it's all good and well being recruited to a better league but he seemingly isn't good enough to feature in it, in the worst team up there. Argument doesn't stand up

Livingstone are in a higher league than Vale and someone within the club considered Monty good enough to feature for the team whether the leaque or league cup or whatever, what doesn't stand up? They've played 5 league games, what's happened to the "It's early days, give the guy a chance" cry. 

19 hours ago, Joe B said:

Brown and Joyce; is that conjecture or do you know them personally? I find it hard to believe that Brown moves his family to Devon after turning down a contract at League 1 Wycombe to join us, as it was an easier commute from his Wolverhampton home. Joyce; yeah, it's nearby for him, but there's loads of North-Western clubs at better levels than Fylde. He's playing against semi-professionals regularly.

Thinking about the longer term future at this time in their careers is what most people would do.

19 hours ago, Joe B said:

I don't like him undermining the current setup, no, not in such personal and aggressive ways. He has a right to an opinion but calling people 'scumbags' and taking the mick out of their accent is 'toys out of pram' behaviour. He claimed Monty wasn't mentally stable.  People jokingly use his 'trust the process' line when things go well, the same way he used it to give the club/people working at the club a good kicking. Can't put yourself out there so egregiously and not face blowback if your aggressive claims don't match up.

Popey is obviously feeling aggrieved not only at DF/DC but also John Askey and I can see why although it's only his side of the story. I don't consider his comments aggressive but just unpalatable to some. He's given answers to questions many people were thinking at the time, eg why is Bennet starting not Pope, why did Mitch Clarke leave mid season? etc. I heard the comment about Monty but it didn't come over to me as you're insinuating, you're taking it too literally.

19 hours ago, Joe B said:

Not sure what this means. I don't agree with the way he went about his departure. I'm not fussed about whether its no holds barred or not. It was unfair on the fans of Port Vale who have worshipped him for nearly a decade, hearing a player they love undermine the setup they are backing this season in the hope of rare success. Great memories of the player but he's left a real sour taste for many.

"Plenty  of negative things have been said about Pope" means just that, for years he's been given some flack on this site by certain posters but no one is beyond criticism. However some posters have kicked the guy after he's been released and when he's down and he's probably read the posts whether on OVF or Twitter.

19 hours ago, Joe B said:

It was 5 years ago. I was as critical as anyone, but I find it hard to have a go at Vale fans for being optimistic before a ball has been kicked. If they're still being blinkered when things have clearly gone wrong, then that's silly/rose tinted, but let's let Vale fans enjoy being Vale fans, yeah? No idea what the relevance is. 'Football fans are optimistic about their own team'?

All Vale fans want to be and are optimistic about the Vale but some carry a realism gene.

19 hours ago, Joe B said:

Won't find me disagreeing. Too early to judge but the signs are promising. We finished 13th with a lot of players we have since seemingly improved on.

And that's my point, have vale signed players as good or better than Smith, Legge, Worrall, Conlon and Rodney etc, if we have than we should be around/in the top 7 come April/May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are Livingston in a higher league than Vale. Pure conjecture. 

Based on Celtic and Rangers I assume. The rest are garbage and full of league one and two cast offs . 

You can't compare Scotland and England leagues , chalk and cheese . 

Umpteen free transfers at our level end up in Scotland. It's an abysmal league in as much as it's meant to be the cream of the crop . 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott Tanser has played 100+ games at the level. Deniz Mehmet has got games up there. 

I like Monty but the idea that he's stepped up from us is questionable, especially if he isn't playing for a bad team for that standard.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Scott Tanser has played 100+ games at the level. Deniz Mehmet has got games up there. 

I like Monty but the idea that he's stepped up from us is questionable, especially if he isn't playing for a bad team for that standard.

Harry Panayiotou plays for them… after his unsuccessful loan spell with us he went on to have spells at Nuneaton, Aittitos Spata and Aldershot.

I love Monty but have to agree he 100% has not taken a step up front the vale.

 

Edited by Iron Curtain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Livingstone are in a higher league than Vale and someone within the club considered Monty good enough to feature for the team whether the leaque or league cup or whatever, what doesn't stand up? They've played 5 league games, what's happened to the "It's early days, give the guy a chance" cry. 

Thinking about the longer term future at this time in their careers is what most people would do.

Popey is obviously feeling aggrieved not only at DF/DC but also John Askey and I can see why although it's only his side of the story. I don't consider his comments aggressive but just unpalatable to some. He's given answers to questions many people were thinking at the time, eg why is Bennet starting not Pope, why did Mitch Clarke leave mid season? etc. I heard the comment about Monty but it didn't come over to me as you're insinuating, you're taking it too literally.

"Plenty  of negative things have been said about Pope" means just that, for years he's been given some flack on this site by certain posters but no one is beyond criticism. However some posters have kicked the guy after he's been released and when he's down and he's probably read the posts whether on OVF or Twitter.

All Vale fans want to be and are optimistic about the Vale but some carry a realism gene.

And that's my point, have vale signed players as good or better than Smith, Legge, Worrall, Conlon and Rodney etc, if we have than we should be around/in the top 7 come April/May.

Jesus, is it warm in Tom Popes pocket? Must have been nice spaffing your money watching his team play Pope ball whilst he took the piss out of fans. What a ‘legend’. 
 

Not going to pick this apart line for line, but Bennett scored a brace for Sutton on Saturday. Made me think of Popes locker room scouting, maybe Bennett just couldn’t  down enough bloody pints as the other lads, or maybe he just wasn’t on Popes wavelength with regards to ‘banter’ (masquerading as probably bullying). Or grasp this, maybe he’s better than Pope, and that’s why he’s playing league 2 football and not Isthmians League X with his mates from 10 years ago.

Either way, I’m sure you have congratulated him on his 6 goals for Congleton. 
 

Just get out the past, move on. Stop shitting on people who want to get behind the club and bring positivity. You are in the minority.

Edited by Jermaine Holwynn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 13/09/2021 at 14:51, CambridgeDon said:

The other thing that's gone unremarked is Wilson's role when he came on. You can't see it in the short highlights but it's Wilson's ball to Gibbo in midfield that sets up Lloyd and then Wilson's knock back to Gibbo for his shot that hit the post. Great positional play - the lad is class and just needs something to fall for him to get him started. Better things to come, methinks.

I think he's a goal away from going on a good run. I think we just need to be patient with him. If you don't look at his career stats, it's easy to forget just how little first-team football he has played - 66 League starts in eight years (five of those starts for Vale). Out of all the players, I suspect he's the one who may take the longest to adjust but also possibly the one with the greatest potential to be a huge asset when he does.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Livingstone are in a higher league than Vale and someone within the club considered Monty good enough to feature for the team whether the leaque or league cup or whatever, what doesn't stand up? They've played 5 league games, what's happened to the "It's early days, give the guy a chance" cry. 

Thinking about the longer term future at this time in their careers is what most people would do.

Popey is obviously feeling aggrieved not only at DF/DC but also John Askey and I can see why although it's only his side of the story. I don't consider his comments aggressive but just unpalatable to some. He's given answers to questions many people were thinking at the time, eg why is Bennet starting not Pope, why did Mitch Clarke leave mid season? etc. I heard the comment about Monty but it didn't come over to me as you're insinuating, you're taking it too literally.

"Plenty  of negative things have been said about Pope" means just that, for years he's been given some flack on this site by certain posters but no one is beyond criticism. However some posters have kicked the guy after he's been released and when he's down and he's probably read the posts whether on OVF or Twitter.

All Vale fans want to be and are optimistic about the Vale but some carry a realism gene.

And that's my point, have vale signed players as good or better than Smith, Legge, Worrall, Conlon and Rodney etc, if we have than we should be around/in the top 7 come April/May.

The standard of that division other than a couple of sides is lower than this. As others have mentioned some pretty awful vale players seem to built quite a good career in that division. The fact that Monty can’t get a game speaks volumes. 
 

Players at the age of brown / Joyce will look after their career at their age, of course. That Dosent change the fact one has dropped a league and other is now a coach. 
 

You don’t consider what pope said to be aggressive? Come off it. What he said was embarrassing. Players with much less legacy at the club left with their heads held high (brown, Monty and Joyce being three of them). The ‘legend’ Tom pope instead blames literally every other person for not getting a game, instead of looking closer to home. He has slagged literally everyone associated with the club off and I don’t think has still thanked the fans / club for his time at vale. It’s embarrassing and reeks of jealousy and spite. 

In my opinion any aggressive comments towards him since his comments are 100% justified. 
 

The players are clearly an upgrade on last season. There is no doubt what so ever that we have completely upgraded the squad. If anyone thinks otherwise then they really do have a screw lose. Virtually every player released has dropped down a level / Dosent get a look in at their club. I notice mills has already been dropped at walsall. Time will tell whether we’re good enough as a squad to be in the business end of the division, but we certainly have the players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, darren1810 said:

How are Livingston in a higher league than Vale. Pure conjecture. 

Based on Celtic and Rangers I assume. The rest are garbage and full of league one and two cast offs . 

You can't compare Scotland and England leagues , chalk and cheese . 

Umpteen free transfers at our level end up in Scotland. It's an abysmal league in as much as it's meant to be the cream of the crop . 

Outside Celtic and Rangers few other clubs would beat us. Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts and Dundee maybe league 1. The rest would struggle even in our league. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 13/09/2021 at 20:59, Tony Rodriguez said:

You may not like his commentary, that is your opinion. But do you need to be so gratuitously and unpleasantly rude?

I think if people listened to him on Ale and the Vale podcast they would change their opinion of him. Also commentary is very, very difficult and I genuinely admire his ability to pick out players in a busy area when he doesn't have the luxury of monitors and equipment to aid him. Sometimes he makes mistakes but he isn't a robot.

I actually like that we have him doing commentary on our games and he won't please everyone but as he has said, don't make it personal. If you have criticism, make it constructive.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I think if people listened to him on Ale and the Vale podcast they would change their opinion of him. Also commentary is very, very difficult and I genuinely admire his ability to pick out players in a busy area when he doesn't have the luxury of monitors and equipment to aid him. Sometimes he makes mistakes but he isn't a robot.

I actually like that we have him doing commentary on our games and he won't please everyone but as he has said, don't make it personal. If you have criticism, make it constructive.

Yeah think I'm in your court Rocky. I QUITE like listening to him because he is a die hard Vale fan. I sometimes think it is like sitting in the Railway paddock and some random bloke is giving a running commentary. My major criticism that I frequently say out loud to the Missus is...watch the game. His art is should be about relaying the action on the pitch....he will frequently miss an incident or name the wrong player because he is talking about something else. There was a classic last Saturday when their lad took a foul throw and he was chatting away and completely missed it until Yatesy said that's the worst foul throw I've seen in pro football.....He needs to watch the action but I think your point about monitors, replays etc is a good one SO he needs to concentrate more on what is going on in front of him.

On a separate note i wish iFollow would rein in on their replays....we don't need to see how the corner was won if it has been taken quickly and we leave the action with the cross coming in!!!! That happened a lot on Saturday.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Yeah think I'm in your court Rocky. I QUITE like listening to him because he is a die hard Vale fan. I sometimes think it is like sitting in the Railway paddock and some random bloke is giving a running commentary. My major criticism that I frequently say out loud to the Missus is...watch the game. His art is should be about relaying the action on the pitch....he will frequently miss an incident or name the wrong player because he is talking about something else. There was a classic last Saturday when their lad took a foul throw and he was chatting away and completely missed it until Yatesy said that's the worst foul throw I've seen in pro football.....He needs to watch the action but I think your point about monitors, replays etc is a good one SO he needs to concentrate more on what is going on in front of him.

On a separate note i wish iFollow would rein in on their replays....we don't need to see how the corner was won if it has been taken quickly and we leave the action with the cross coming in!!!! That happened a lot on Saturday.


Can't fault the criticism. I am all for opposing views if people take the time to add context and detail. Vale seem to be fighting a battle for columns and airtime, and we have someone who is trying their best to elevate the club through his love for it. 

On a sidenote, I do have someone near me in the paddock who spends the game just shouting stuff out around him trying to be funny, it is excruciating at times, but I don't know if I'd have it any other way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...