Match Thread: Swindon Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 hour ago, sunny boslem said:

How can u not like this guy 👍 

You beat me to it! They come on here saying he's arrogant and full of himself - he's not...but you actually have to listen to him, rather than decide what you've heard...before it's been said!

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

You beat me to it! They come on here saying he's arrogant and full of himself - he's not...but you actually have to listen to him, rather than decide what you've heard...before it's been said!

Defo mate 👍

• Thanks 1

It was an enjoyable away trip again this week, we produced a performance in the first half that deservedly saw us take the lead. Worrall had a lot of joy down the right and that was where most of our threat was coming from, Garrittys finish for the first was excellent and we’ve been crying our for a midfielder who can arrive into the box late. Rodney should have done better with his chance when he rounded the keeper, maybe a striker with more confidence would have shot first time after getting round him? I’d also add that when Rodney managed to get their centre halves out wide he didn’t try to get at them, to me that’s a sure sign of a player low on confidence. Swindon didn’t really create much first half, and arguably their right hand side too was their most productive with their right back joining in, but certainly their philosophy of trying to play out at every opportunity was something that saw us winning the ball back often because of the high press we played. 

The first quarter of an hour of the second half saw them get back into the game. It was a given that they would come out fired up and gifting them an early goal lifted them. I think they got in too easily behind us and cass was caught wrong side of the striker that scored and was out muscled at the back post. Given that lift  and they got in a couple of times down our left hand side and got into some dangerous positions. This week though Clark’s subs worked, substituting Benning for Gibbo helped to snuff out their threat down our left and also he managed to do what Benning hadn’t been able to do all game and that was get crosses in and be a threat in their half. Indeed he got the assist for the goal when he hit the post. We had a few scary moments in that half and we didn't hit the heights of our first half, but that’s going to happen in games, we won’t always get our way and be on top all the time. But we rode it out with some excellent defending all over the pitch. 

Lots of positives to take from that and lots of good performances too. For me Cass is better as a centre half, he isn’t a full back or a wing back, he’s the natural competition for Nathan Smith in that spot with lots of timely interceptions and good positioning. My only criticism of Cass would be that at times he got too tight to their strikers and was then rolled too easily for them to get away and get crosses in. Smith played well in the central role of the 3 and Jones did too. Covolan had little to do, apart from one great point blank save, but he did have a couple of shaky moments when coming for the ball. Worrall had a good first half and offered a lot of threat going forward, but he was quieter in the second half, but I’m still not convinced he’s a wing back. Benning didn’t really offer much going forward, and him getting subbed must surely have been down to that shaky 15 min spell after the restart. His place could be under threat following Gibbos cameo who looked just as good on the left as he does on the right. The midfield 3 of Conlon Pett and Garrity were good, we kept the ball well at times, broke up play, pressed well and Garrity could be a real find. Proctor was quiet today and it just wasnt working for him, whilst Rodney did look a threat, he was also much better than last week. I think all the subs worked, Lloyd and Wilson all had an impact in helping us to see the game out.

I liked the fact that for the first time in quite a few seasons we look nasty at times, doing the other side of the game when we need to, the dark arts if you like. Overall I’d say aside from that shaky spell after half time we put in a decent hard working performance with some good football at times and also some threat to us. The key now is getting it right at home. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 9

Great game, great result. As others have said you're not going to get complete domination for 90 mins but we were on top for 60-70 minutes, only really faltered for a while after they scored.

If someone told me at the start of the season that Garrity would be one of my favourite players 7 games in, I'd have told them they were mad. He was magic again today with two fantastic goals.

DC's masterplan is really beginning to take shape.

• Like 2

Mansfield in double trouble tonight… a loss to Walsall and Clough in danger of getting them docked 3 points because of the FAs controversial new “don’t be mean to players” rule.

Although he didn’t start speaking until the interviewer had finished every time. So apparently the FA are considering reducing the penalty to 2 points for being nice and polite… so that’s nice.

DC needs to be careful after his “deadwood” comment… rumours that some of our old players were really really really upset means our punishment could be raised to 6 points. 

Garrity's got a finish on him hasn't he?

Also shout out to Gibbons. Excellent anticipation and a quality effort that could easily have curled in that rebounded before the second.

It really is conspicuous who disappears off here the second we go in front. More than one. Comical. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, windsorvale4ever said:

Garrity is a different player now he's not sitting back he's superb around the box and looks like he's got an eye for a goal or 2.

I loved his attitude when he was interviewed, obviously understands what's required of a modern pro footballer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, blackdog said:

The coverage on RS has now become farcical, I cut them slack due to that lot down the road having a bigger fanbase, in my mind it would be ridiculous to have the same amount of coverage as them BUT the coverage tonight has been non existent and dare I say almost deliberate, Smith Johnson and Pejic all going on and on and on , I got the feeling that anything or anyone but don't mention Port Vale, I also know Carl only gets in touch when we lose but on my reckoning 50 minutes in before a mention is pushing the boundaries of fairness, come on Vale get promoted and embarrass them. 

Well said. 

7 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Mansfield in double trouble tonight… a loss to Walsall and Clough in danger of getting them docked 3 points because of the FAs controversial new “don’t be mean to players” rule.

Although he didn’t start speaking until the interviewer had finished every time. So apparently the FA are considering reducing the penalty to 2 points for being nice and polite… so that’s nice.

DC needs to be careful after his “deadwood” comment… rumours that some of our old players were really really really upset means our punishment could be raised to 6 points. 

Sorry, I’m not understanding this - is there a new rule and some punishment being awaited or am I suffering a humour bypass?

14 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

Sorry, I’m not understanding this - is there a new rule and some punishment being awaited or am I suffering a humour bypass?

No new rule… but I’m sure the FA may be considering it given how serious and important it seems to be to some on here. 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hoppers said:

Thought covolans 2nd half save was world class - im wearing my "I Luv Lucas" Jim's jams tonight

😍😍 it's beginning to come good 👍👍👍

Can't recall the callers name but I'm sure I herd some Vale calling him next to useless on P and G Friday night....😄

Given his cameo yesterday i will say this,if Gibbo can stay fit now it wont be long before the scouts start coming to watch him again as well as Rodders and at 24 if he keeps up playing how he is you could also add Garrity into that group along with Conlon 😮 we have players at the club with so much potential

That is the future that the matrix and Carol want to build here and i for one am happy to join in that journey..... onwards and upwards me owd fruits

Edited by werstayinup
  • Like 7