onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Swindon Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

7 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I think if people listened to him on Ale and the Vale podcast they would change their opinion of him. Also commentary is very, very difficult and I genuinely admire his ability to pick out players in a busy area when he doesn't have the luxury of monitors and equipment to aid him. Sometimes he makes mistakes but he isn't a robot.

I actually like that we have him doing commentary on our games and he won't please everyone but as he has said, don't make it personal. If you have criticism, make it constructive.

Yeah think I'm in your court Rocky. I QUITE like listening to him because he is a die hard Vale fan. I sometimes think it is like sitting in the Railway paddock and some random bloke is giving a running commentary. My major criticism that I frequently say out loud to the Missus is...watch the game. His art is should be about relaying the action on the pitch....he will frequently miss an incident or name the wrong player because he is talking about something else. There was a classic last Saturday when their lad took a foul throw and he was chatting away and completely missed it until Yatesy said that's the worst foul throw I've seen in pro football.....He needs to watch the action but I think your point about monitors, replays etc is a good one SO he needs to concentrate more on what is going on in front of him.

On a separate note i wish iFollow would rein in on their replays....we don't need to see how the corner was won if it has been taken quickly and we leave the action with the cross coming in!!!! That happened a lot on Saturday.

Advert

1 hour ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Yeah think I'm in your court Rocky. I QUITE like listening to him because he is a die hard Vale fan. I sometimes think it is like sitting in the Railway paddock and some random bloke is giving a running commentary. My major criticism that I frequently say out loud to the Missus is...watch the game. His art is should be about relaying the action on the pitch....he will frequently miss an incident or name the wrong player because he is talking about something else. There was a classic last Saturday when their lad took a foul throw and he was chatting away and completely missed it until Yatesy said that's the worst foul throw I've seen in pro football.....He needs to watch the action but I think your point about monitors, replays etc is a good one SO he needs to concentrate more on what is going on in front of him.

On a separate note i wish iFollow would rein in on their replays....we don't need to see how the corner was won if it has been taken quickly and we leave the action with the cross coming in!!!! That happened a lot on Saturday.

Can't fault the criticism. I am all for opposing views if people take the time to add context and detail. Vale seem to be fighting a battle for columns and airtime, and we have someone who is trying their best to elevate the club through his love for it. 

On a sidenote, I do have someone near me in the paddock who spends the game just shouting stuff out around him trying to be funny, it is excruciating at times, but I don't know if I'd have it any other way.

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

I think if people listened to him on Ale and the Vale podcast they would change their opinion of him. Also commentary is very, very difficult and I genuinely admire his ability to pick out players in a busy area when he doesn't have the luxury of monitors and equipment to aid him. Sometimes he makes mistakes but he isn't a robot.

I actually like that we have him doing commentary on our games and he won't please everyone but as he has said, don't make it personal. If you have criticism, make it constructive.

You make good points. There's alot of variables for him to cope with.

I also agree with Clinton B that staying focused is crucial.

I think he's improved.

The major further improvement imo would be to stay focused on what is actually happening, describe that, and be very wary of humour.

That's his Achilles heel.

Rochdale will be right up there and despite the narrow loss, we played them off the park for 20 minutes. Forest Green Rovers will be play-off challengers, and Swindon will comfortably make the top 10 too I think. Possibly the play-offs also. So we've certainly shown enough already to suggest we can be in the mix ourselves despite some dissapointments. We need to start being a bit more clinical, as apart from the opening game of the season we've created a bundle of chances in just about every game.

On 13/09/2021 at 20:33, Paul6754 said:

Popey also compared the new signings with players that are still at the club and some that left during the season like Mitch Clarke and Manny Oyeleke. I thought the comments about Mitch Clarke were sad and revealed why he left, Mitch was an excellent player in his time at Vale and it's a real pity what happened, happened.

I missed what Pope said about Clarke.  Can someone explain, ta. 

56 minutes ago, The French Connection said:

Came to the club last season overweight and was in a bad place mentally off the pitch and he became worse around the club.  That’s why Askey shipped him back. I think pope was using it as a dig at Askey in that he didn’t try to help Clarke. 

8 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Came to the club last season overweight and was in a bad place mentally off the pitch and he became worse around the club.  That’s why Askey shipped him back. I think pope was using it as a dig at Askey in that he didn’t try to help Clarke. 

Pope said Clarke was overweight? Bit mean seeing as he's just the manager. I think he looks pretty trim to be honest. 

18 hours ago, SFBT said:

You make good points. There's alot of variables for him to cope with.

I also agree with Clinton B that staying focused is crucial.

I think he's improved.

The major further improvement imo would be to stay focused on what is actually happening, describe that, and be very wary of humour.

That's his Achilles heel.

By the way I notice Lee Blakeman has made a bit of a breakthrough on 5-live : he did the Forest v Boro game last night.

come on Bowers isn't that bad is he.... agreed he needs to cut down his attempts on humour a little and stay focused particularly in tight games near the end when we are praying either for the final whistle or 10 minutes extra time but in general I think they do a decent job.

On 14/09/2021 at 15:31, Jermaine Holwynn said:

Jesus, is it warm in Tom Popes pocket? Must have been nice spaffing your money watching his team play Pope ball whilst he took the piss out of fans. What a ‘legend’. 

Not going to pick this apart line for line, but Bennett scored a brace for Sutton on Saturday. Made me think of Popes locker room scouting, maybe Bennett just couldn’t  down enough bloody pints as the other lads, or maybe he just wasn’t on Popes wavelength with regards to ‘banter’ (masquerading as probably bullying). Or grasp this, maybe he’s better than Pope, and that’s why he’s playing league 2 football and not Isthmians League X with his mates from 10 years ago.

Either way, I’m sure you have congratulated him on his 6 goals for Congleton. 

Just get out the past, move on. Stop shitting on people who want to get behind the club and bring positivity. You are in the minority.

A football message board isn't for you.  Typical fickle fan who doesn't like to hear the other side of a story.

On 15/09/2021 at 05:59, valiant_593 said:

You don’t consider what pope said to be aggressive? Come off it? What he said was embarrassing

No I don't, from my recollection he was complimentary to most people and players at Vale.  Only people who have an anti-Pope agenda would think this way. For me, Pope did a lot for Vale and is a major reason why we are still a Football League Club.

Players with much less legacy at the club left with their heads held high (brown, Monty and Joyce being three of them).

Perhaps they haven't been given the same opportunity to speak out or prefer to go quietly. None of those three guys have anywhere near as strong an affiliation the with Vale as Pope.

The ‘legend’ Tom pope instead blames literally every other person for not getting a game, instead of looking closer to home. He has slagged literally everyone associated with the club off and I don’t think has still thanked the fans / club for his time at vale. It’s embarrassing and reeks of jealousy and spite. 

In my opinion any aggressive comments towards him since his comments are 100% justified. 

As said above, from my recollection he was complimentary to most people and players at Vale and gave some interesting insights over the last 2-3 years. Pope says he likes Managers to be open and honest with him and to be told to his face, his gripe with the last two managerial regimes at Vale Park is, in his opinion, that was not the case.

If you wish to resume this theme go on the Tom Pope thread.

He couldn’t have been less complimentary if he tried. None of those guys had as big as an affiliation to the club but managed not to slag it off at every given opportunity. 

Guess most people have an agenda then. What he said was embarrassing. It’s always everyone’s else’s fault, who’s fault was it that pope came back unfit and continued to post tripe on Twitter and get banned? There was a reason he wasn’t picked. 

He did a lot for vale there is no doubting that and helped us stay in this division, i agree. But they interview has gone some way in tarnishing that imo. 

On 15/09/2021 at 16:55, The French Connection said:

It's on OVF, all 3 hrs of it. I missed it myself until I saw it being referred to on OVF. The bits about JA and DC/DF are towards the end, in the last hour.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Is there a thread on here that he isn't mentioned on ?

Tedious, boring, 

What has he got to do with last week's game at Swindon ?

Anyone got a clue please. 

Because he would be guaranteed to dominate their centre backs and finish every chance we create, as he did in all the games he didn’t play in over the last 2 seasons 😉

Archived