onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Swindon Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Quite frankly I’m embarrassed at the comments of Tom pope since he left vale. Lacking any kind of class what so ever. Why would you compare new signings to players that we have kept?? Surely you compare them to their signings.....

Correct,Toxic Tom has left the building.Pope would struggle to get on the Vale bench this season.It would only give him something else to bellyache about.We have moved on.Others are still in the recent dismal past.

Advert

2 hours ago, manc_vale said:

Just watiched the highligts of the Swindon win again....  

Then watched the lowlights of the same fixture from 2020.

My gosh, the difference between the perfromances is stark... Yes, this time its still early in the season and the last time we played was in late January, but thats the same for both sides. The difference in fitness, the number of players willing to attack, the commitment of the defence... The process is paying off...

Come on Darrell let the good times roll....

I dunno, I wouldn’t use that as a yardstick. That’s from the season where we finished 8th and I don’t think that particular performance that day defines our 2019/2020 squad, at that time I think we were mostly confident in the direction we were going then.

Also look  at it from the other way, that’s was Swindon’s promotion season wasnt it and they’re far worse now in comparison to that performance from 2020.

Watched the whole game yesterday on iFollow. Great win and very good performance but we still have a lot of work to do, particularly in defence where we managed to undo over half of the game by conceding a very poor goal within five minutes of the restart. Started out of nothing with some very poor defending down our left side from the halfway, with Proctor not tracking the player he was marking, Jones and then Conlon not putting a foot in and Cass going missing at the far post. A bit over-critical perhaps but you can bet DC will be going over this in some detail in training this week. One other thing I noticed, which isn't in the short or extended highlights, is that in added time Covolan needlessly passed the ball to Jones who was under pressure, resulting in a free-kick to Swindon that could well have cost us a goal. Jones gave Lucas a right piece of his mind, a reminder that DC has some work still to do on the goalie's distribution.

The other thing that's gone unremarked is Wilson's role when he came on. You can't see it in the short highlights but it's Wilson's ball to Gibbo in midfield that sets up Lloyd and then Wilson's knock back to Gibbo for his shot that hit the post. Great positional play - the lad is class and just needs something to fall for him to get him started. Better things to come, methinks.

Great though when we can bring such quality off the bench, which says volumes for DC's recruitment.

2 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Watched the whole game yesterday on iFollow. Great win and very good performance but we still have a lot of work to do, particularly in defence where we managed to undo over half of the game by conceding a very poor goal within five minutes of the restart. Started out of nothing with some very poor defending down our left side from the halfway, with Proctor not tracking the player he was marking, Jones and then Conlon not putting a foot in and Cass going missing at the far post. A bit over-critical perhaps but you can bet DC will be going over this in some detail in training this week. One other thing I noticed, which isn't in the short or extended highlights, is that in added time Covolan needlessly passed the ball to Jones who was under pressure, resulting in a free-kick to Swindon that could well have cost us a goal. Jones gave Lucas a right piece of his mind, a reminder that DC has some work still to do on the goalie's distribution.

The other thing that's gone unremarked is Wilson's role when he came on. You can't see it in the short highlights but it's Wilson's ball to Gibbo in midfield that sets up Lloyd and then Wilson's knock back to Gibbo for his shot that hit the post. Great positional play - the lad is class and just needs something to fall for him to get him started. Better things to come, methinks.

Great though when we can bring such quality off the bench, which says volumes for DC's recruitment.

To be fair to Cass, the striker pushed him in the back before the goal so knocked him off balance.  Should have been a bit stronger but it does explain how Simpson had a free header.

Re the Covolan/Jones incident late on.  Smith and Jones were standing in the penalty area looking at the keeper.  If Covolan was supposed to hoof it upfield what were they doing there?  The ball was passed to Jones who dwelt on it for a second or two before attempting the clearance.  If Covolan passed it to Jones needlessly then Jones dwelt on it needlessly as well. 

12 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

To be fair to Cass, the striker pushed him in the back before the goal so knocked him off balance.  Should have been a bit stronger but it does explain how Simpson had a free header.

Re the Covolan/Jones incident late on.  Smith and Jones were standing in the penalty area looking at the keeper.  If Covolan was supposed to hoof it upfield what were they doing there?  The ball was passed to Jones who dwelt on it for a second or two before attempting the clearance.  If Covolan passed it to Jones needlessly then Jones dwelt on it needlessly as well. 

Spot on. It was a goal kick and their players weren't allowed in the box so he wasn't under pressure until Jones went slow motion and he took a year to clear it. He may not have wanted it but he had it, so needed to deal with it and for me had plenty of time to do so. Dangerous area for a free kick at the end of the game and I was fearing the worst! Commentators were quick to blame Cov though watching on Ifollow

6 minutes ago, glenpvfc said:

Spot on. It was a goal kick and their players weren't allowed in the box so he wasn't under pressure until Jones went slow motion and he took a year to clear it. He may not have wanted it but he had it, so needed to deal with it and for me had plenty of time to do so. Dangerous area for a free kick at the end of the game and I was fearing the worst! Commentators were quick to blame Cov though watching on Ifollow

Yes, it's all part of Covolan's apparent reluctance to just hoof it when needed. I agree Jones was slow but that ball should have been in the opposing penalty area by that time. I looked to see the players' reaction at the end of the game and they weren't exactly queuing up to pat Lucas on the back. I'm sure the lad will learn in time and the sooner the better!

53 minutes ago, glenpvfc said:

Bowers was very critical of Covolan throughout. Somehow got blamed for the cross that Gibbons headed over late on. I don't know if he's just formed an unconscious bias against him or he's trying to reflect what he thinks the fans think, but it was pretty apparent he would criticise him at every opportunity.

54 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Yes, it's all part of Covolan's apparent reluctance to just hoof it when needed. I agree Jones was slow but that ball should have been in the opposing penalty area by that time. I looked to see the players' reaction at the end of the game and they weren't exactly queuing up to pat Lucas on the back. I'm sure the lad will learn in time and the sooner the better!

If the keeper is under orders to hoof from a goal kick then the rest of the team need to clear the box and get their backsides upfield.

What did Bowers say about that great save Covolan made at 1-1 which probably kept us in the game?

19 hours ago, Joe B said:

Montano not playing for Livingston. Brown is a coach. Burgess is still here and no one came in for him. Joyce is playing in Tier 6. Right decisions. If they can't do it at this level elsewhere, why should we have paid them another year's wages? Makes no sense, to me.

Montano was recruited by a club playing in a higher league than lge2 and he has played although not in a lge game. It was Brown and Joyce's decision to suit them and their families. The information on the podcast viz Montano  is very interesting.

Tom has had his fair share of below the belt comments. 'Trust the Pruhcess' (putting on an accent), lambasting Montano's mental 'stability', calling people 'scumbags'. If he's going to take the mick out of our football club in such a damaging and public way, then you can't expect us to be reverential towards him. Hypocritical that he can say what he wants on a podcast and undermine the current set up, but we can't say anything about him.

Popey is giving his opinion, you obviously don't like what he's says. I haven't listened to all the podcast yet but in the piece I've listened to he doesn't lambast Monty's mental stability.

Plenty of negative things have been said about Popey but this is the first "no holds barred" response I've heard from him.

Any evidence for this? Which posters? Either way, it was 5 years ago. Maybe people just like to be positive about the club trying things?

Look on the thread if it's still available. Yep that positivity served Vale well, if Ribeiro had recruited a 3-4 overseas  players then the majority of fans would have applauded him for trying something "Out side of the box".

As those players haven't been brought in to improve on existing players, they've been brought in to improve on departed players. I don't get your point. Proctor, Wilson, and Lloyd have replaced Pope, Robinson, Guthrie, Cullen etc. Garrity, Pett, Walker, have replaced Joyce, Whitehead, Burgess etc. Jones, Cass, Benning have been brought in to replace Mills, Fitzpatrick, Brisley. 

Vale are unlikely to get promoted signing players who are as good or just an improvement on the likes of  Whitehead or Fitzpatrick. Vale will get promoted when players as good or better than Worrall or Legge are recruited, it's not rocket science. Some positives so far are Proctors composed finishing and Garrity's energy but It's early days and time will tell.

17 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Tom used the podcast to compare the players that have left to ones that are their now, why can't fans do the same.

Popey also compared the new signings with players that are still at the club and some that left during the season like Mitch Clarke and Manny Oyeleke. I thought the comments about Mitch Clarke were sad and revealed why he left, Mitch was an excellent player in his time at Vale and it's a real pity what happened, happened.

36 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

If the keeper is under orders to hoof from a goal kick then the rest of the team need to clear the box and get their backsides upfield.

What did Bowers say about that great save Covolan made at 1-1 which probably kept us in the game?

I appreciate that's your point of view about the defence but not too sure why you're asking me about Bowers.

41 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

I appreciate that's your point of view about the defence but not too sure why you're asking me about Bowers.

It was a question directed to those who had said above that Bowers was criticising the keeper throughout the game not you specifically.

Archived