onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Swindon Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

30 minutes ago, Zeddicus said:
1 hour ago, dishydave said:
Garrity is surely only going to get better he seems to have stepped up 3 or 4 divisions with ease in the past year

I hope so. I think the key to young players like him maintaining and actually improving, thereby moving up the pyramid in time, is ensuring that they don't come to the conclusion that they've made it already, and are too good for us. We've seen it before, the starkest examples being Ben Whitfield and Mitch Clark, both of whom became proper Billy Big Balls after their time with us

Hopefully with the change in philosophy of the club, improving players will stay and move up with the Vale.

Advert

One thing with Covolan is his best asset is something which isn't really clearly noticeable.

His starting position is nice and high, he's quick for a keeper, and he's not afraid to have the ball to feet. It allows us to play a higher line and restrict space, as the defence are safe in the knowledge that their keeper is there to deal with balls over the top.

There was one ball which put their forward through, Smith was struggling, but Covolan appeared and launched into touch. It's a massive asset.

I get as nervous as everyone else as it's a high risk style, but we still have one of the best defensive records in the league despite last weeks defensive calamities. He's a good enough shot stopper and does decently with crosses. He needs to work on communication, but as somebody said, first impressions will last longer than a series of steady performances.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Was sad to hear Clarke mention Scapegoat in his interview after the game. 

Absolutely no need .

We all know an average show against Harrogate and some will boo at the end. Crazy. 

Its a state of affairs when a manager has to say that to national press after one month of a new season - some absolute bonkers plonkers out there - there hasnt been this much to cheer about since the JR era 

Excellent result and now need to consolidate by beating Harrogate. I was sort of alarmed when I saw the team sheet thinking that the defence was vulnerable in the air. But they got the job done and actually the defence if you take the back five can play decent football as a unit when in possession. Especially when the goalie joins in. I would like to see them do that in this game because I thought we failed to exploit the forward marking our goalie when kicking v Rochdale. Aside from knocking him out of course! 

Its a state of affairs when a manager has to say that to national press after one month of a new season - some absolute bonkers plonkers out there - there hasnt been this much to cheer about since the JR era 
Who was he referring to? Do we know? I don't think that anybody who has played notable minutes aside from Covolan has been unfairly and persistently targeted for OTT criticism. Rodney was dire against Rochdale and hasn't been great in most games. Benning has been poor. Both should rightly expect to be criticised. But scapegoats? I honestly don't think either can say that they have been unfairly treated?

scapegoat

/ˈskeɪpɡəʊt/

noun

a person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others, especially for reasons of expediency.

7 minutes ago, philmpv said:
19 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

Who was he referring to? Do we know? I don't think that anybody who has played notable minutes aside from Covolan has been unfairly and persistently targeted for OTT criticism. Rodney was dire against Rochdale and hasn't been great in most games. Benning has been poor. Both should rightly expect to be criticised. But scapegoats? I honestly don't think either can say that they have been unfairly treated?

When I criticised Rodney after Rochdale I described specifically what he failed at. And I felt others did as well. But Rodney is far from a hopeless case, I think he has improved with coaching. With Benning I haven't seen him play enough except to make general criticism of the type the manager made himself after the Rochdale game in describing the defending as shocking. 

27 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

Plonkers, indeed. Check the comments below this Sentinel article. I mean, honestly, do people even think before they post such garbage? Or do they just want to have a moan for the sake of having nothing better to do?

And this is after a win away at Swindon for the first time in donkey's years!

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/no-doubt-head-coaching-leaves-5901605

3 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Tyrese Simpson is a real handful. On loan from Ipswich. 

Someone I'd keep an eye on in the future with a view to signing.

I thought that Smith handled him quite well given his size and strength certainly after the 1st couple of times that they came together.

Also noticed that he gave Cass a bit of a nudge in the back to give him space at the back post for his goal.

BTW what is it with some people?

Twit.jpeg

19 minutes ago, NellyTheValiant said:

I thought that Smith handled him quite well given his size and strength certainly after the 1st couple of times that they came together.

Also noticed that he gave Cass a bit of a nudge in the back to give him space at the back post for his goal.

BTW what is it with some people?

Twit.jpeg

Given stuff like the high profile Eriksen and Muamba incidents cretins like PVFC Brandon should be up before the courts for posting stuff like that. Disgraceful. 

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

scapegoat

/ˈskeɪpɡəʊt/

noun

a person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others, especially for reasons of expediency.

I took it more as referring to general boo boying in the ground as I doubt any Vale officials/players would be daft enough to read some of the idiocy on these forums

Archived