staying away because of covid

mr burslem

Hi, all.

I'm a long-time s/t holder who chooses not to come to games right now, because of the covid situation and an older, vulnerable family member. During lockdown I had ifollow, but ifollow now don't screen most games, and I'm looking for a way - paid is fine! - to watch our games. Is there a way? I'm not very techno-savvy, but as you can imagine, i'm willing to learn! any help gratefully received.

i-follow is always available for league matches. Sat I believe it is available in the UK as it is international weekend. Costs you a tenner. Other weekends it not strictly allowed in the UK, but is abroad. So this does not affect me. But, there is a way around this which is using a VPN, which you can download. Most of the decent ones cost a small amount a year.

The VPN basically puts you through a server abroad. So makes it look like you are abroad and or hides your true location. There is nothing illegal about using a VPN.  WRT i-follow you would technically be violating their T+C's, maybe. I don't actually remember filling in my address when I renewed, although it would be fine in my case.

It appears to me that i-follow are at this time hardly bothering with regional restrictions as it is so easy to get around. Could change. But if you go by this route you are not defrauding anyone.  I have the same problem all the time trying to watch cricket from NL. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mr burslem said:

Thanks, Toyah! Right now windows 10 appears to be blocking VPN, but I'll work something out. game on Saturday's ok for ifollow, as you say, so I've got time to sort it out. UTV!

There are others on here who have more experience than me with this Mr Burslem as it is not actually a problem for me. e.g, TJHValiant  for example and I hope he does not mind me mentioning his name.

Let me make clear I'm not encouraging T+C breaking here. But yeah, if you want to go but can't, why not be able to watch the game and send a few shillings the club's way?

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, mr burslem said:

Thanks, Toyah! Right now windows 10 appears to be blocking VPN, but I'll work something out. game on Saturday's ok for ifollow, as you say, so I've got time to sort it out. UTV!

I'm on Windows 10 and use NordVPN, I watched the FGR game from home.  If you do look to purchase a VPN take a look at the cashback sites and don't pay the full price for them,

• Like 2

someone in baldies hairdressers, who read something in kerrang and spoke to a local butcher about veggy sausages, also found out that private internet access (pia) vpn is pretty good 😍 for £30 odd per annum

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr burslem said:

Hi, all.

I'm a long-time s/t holder who chooses not to come to games right now, because of the covid situation and an older, vulnerable family member. During lockdown I had ifollow, but ifollow now don't screen most games, and I'm looking for a way - paid is fine! - to watch our games. Is there a way? I'm not very techno-savvy, but as you can imagine, i'm willing to learn! any help gratefully received.

There's absolutely no need to stay away.  You can isolate quite easily in the Railway side of Bycars, you're about as socially distanced there as it's possible to be.

• Like 6

If you're worried about/don't want to use a VPN, you can also watch pretty much all midweek games on iFollow in the UK for a tenner. No VPN required as it's allowed under FL rules. That's home and away midweek games and FLT games. The blackout only covers weekend games. As others have said, this weekend's game is also available as the blackout doesn't apply during International breaks.

I've used the midweek one a fair bit myself as due to my location it's not practical to travel up and down in midweek after my work. 

• Like 2

Tomorrow involves two buses and four trains. Vale Park itself is relatively safe. I guess I am accepting some risk but I see it as much lower than say smoking or riding a motorbike. 

Edited by Warren

I can fully understand mr Burslem ‘s concerns, however as others have said there’s loads of space in the Bycars whereby you could sit with no one within several metres of you.

my self, I’ve not been to any away games as I think sitting on a coach for 5 or 6 hours with 50 others is a big risk, also I don’t go the pub before the home games like I would normally do.

If you know anyone who drinks in pubs ask around, there are plenty of IPTV options for 30 quid a year that will stream every single game in the football league. You can always make a donation to Port Vale if you feel guilty of depriving them of ticket money.

Just out of interest how do you stand on the searches in the current climate of infection rate? I was searched yesterday just before entering the paddock by a steward who was right in my face so to speak with no mask or gloves(can you refuse the search) although i think i was more in danger of being knocked out by his breath and BO 😮 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Just out of interest how do you stand on the searches in the current climate of infection rate? I was searched yesterday just before entering the paddock by a steward who was right in my face so to speak with no mask or gloves(can you refuse the search) although i think i was more in danger of being knocked out by his breath and BO 😮 

That’s a fair point , especially as you say in the current climate.

52 minutes ago, Conrad said:

That’s a fair point , especially as you say in the current climate.

great point conrad, i can understand searching a gang of yobs for flares knives etc, but no 71 year old season ticket holder even to shaking my coat around  i let him do it then searched him !!!!!!!!!!! he was not wearing gloves either. i object to being searched without good reason, i shall throw me pension book at him next time. carol-please sort them out.

10 minutes ago, geoff1 said:

great point conrad, i can understand searching a gang of yobs for flares knives etc, but no 71 year old season ticket holder even to shaking my coat around  i let him do it then searched him !!!!!!!!!!! he was not wearing gloves either. i object to being searched without good reason, i shall throw me pension book at him next time. carol-please sort them out.

Really naffs me off, I could understand searching yobbish looking lads but when it’s pensioners ( I’ve only got just over 2 years to go) makes no sense whatsoever, or is it us oldies are seen as the easy option.