onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Rochdale

Fosse69

Advert

13 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

I noticed in todays game and previous home games, we dont play with a high press and this allows the away team so much more time. Is this in just a home performance ? In reports i am sure we offer much more of a high press in away games.

The number 9 is only as good as his service. We need to stop the crosses going in. That said the defending in the box was terrible. First Martin then Smith then Benning

We've pressed high as a team, when appropriate to do so, in all the games.  Not today.

I think the point's already been made by others, when the ball was in the air their no.9 was winning headers that Legge would've gobbled up.  Legge really attacks the ball, often powering straight through the man.  He gets massive distance on his headed clearances, plus often tends to physically dominate a player to the point where they don't "fancy it".  Today their no.9 didn't face that sort of challenge and pretty much had his own way for the full 90.

You're right about the service.  They had far too much time to pick a pass.

10 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

"All season"? Just remind me what month it is.  I don't care if it's April, he's had one touch (bad) and "fans" were on him.  Complete knobheads, who're too dense to comprehend that getting straight on the guys back won't actually have the desired effect.

Agree it was from the first kick today. Cannot argue though he has been poor. We looked less effective once Rodney came on the pitch and he never works hard to help defend. Once he did when he made a complete mess and he chased back a little. Poor form or not, hard work should and needs to come as standard from all players.

It is only September but weve played a few games by now and he has shown very little to justify a starting place. What makes it worse is that we need him. Wilson only ever lasts 60 mins and Rodney should come on and give us pace to push forward, plus wirk hard for the team

13 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I remember thinking Rodney would be better in front of a crowd. Not infront of vale fans getting on his back after one touch. 

I sit in the Bycars.  I couldn't believe the abuse from the word go.  Utter clowns.  We had families around us, clearly "new" fans, and dread to think what they made of it.

5 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

It is only September but weve played a few games by now and he has shown very little to justify a starting place. What makes it worse is that we need him. Wilson only ever lasts 60 mins and Rodney should come on and give us pace to push forward, plus wirk hard for the team

Maybe that's why he's not starting then. 👍

23 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I remember thinking Rodney would be better in front of a crowd. Not infront of vale fans getting on his back after one touch. 

Agree he took some stick maybe undeserved but Vale fans will put up with a lot but if you put the effort in, our fans tend to stay with them.  He just looks completely off the pace, uninterested and sadly for me there was a lack of effort there and looks like he has put some weight on from last season.   At times today reminded of a quicker JJ Hooper.

I thought Clarke got his decisions completely wrong today, big fan of the manager but dropping Walker was a mistake and then unless we had injuries, there should have been 1 change at half time.  WIth 30 minutes plus to play, to make all 3 changes left us up against it.  We had a few knocks and could not bring anyone else on.  I would like to have seen Politic come on, speaking to a few Bolton fans on Tuesday night, they were raving about him and said too good for our league, I know he's trying to be careful after a long injury but feel the time has come for him to have some minutes.

Early days but we really need to get that first home win to keep the crowd coming along, great gate today, but fans want to see winning football matches and 4 matches (1 in cup) and still no wins.  I am keeping the faith but Swindon and Harrogate next up does not get any easier. 

resisted temptation until now to post. but heres my brief take on things.

that first 20 minutes v dale was the best ive seen in years.  the remaining 70 + added on time was the worst. obviously a new team that is simply not clicking but will do with game time. the team and players need time. you cannot simply throw 15 new players into a team and expect them to play like theyve been playing together for years. this is a squad in transition and from what ive seen were a mid table team this season.
Last 70 mins the worst you've seen in years? I understand being disappointed after a loss, but cast your mind back to last season. We were second best today, and the better team won, but I've seen a lot worse vale performances in recent years. My honest opinion , under par and didn't deserve to win, but we are much improved on last season, and I still reckon we will be in and around the top 7 come May.

6 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Benning an absolute legend at Mansfield with clubs in the higher division after him. Martin a virtual ever present in a Scottish Premier side last season after he signed and excellent last week at FGR. Both had poor games today - I take it you never had a poor game Ray?

Oh, he had plenty - he just hopes we've forgotten them!

I just don’t understand the hell for leather approach at half time. It was 1-1 and we wasted two substitutions which would of been more useful towards the end of the game. 

When Rodney plays the big hoof down the line happens to often. Wilson’s overall game and link up is far better even if he isn’t scoring.

Wilson is about more than goals he put a shift in and took defenders away from Proctor. Rodney is I would guess 6 or 7 pound of muscle lighter than he was last season, Which has probably made him faster but whereas last season defenders were bouncing off him this season he’s falling over because they are over powering him.
Personally I am sick of hearing about “high press” or 452, 7,1,1 etc etc, for gods sake just do the basics and play football. For my mind DC tactically got his backside handed to him on a plate today.

9 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Martin didn’t join Accies until November so he was a virtual ever present after he joined. But don’t let the facts get in the way of a good moan. 

Not a moan just an observation. No matter how you try to spin it Martin is not the dominant center back that Leon Legge is and won't be in the near or distant future unless there is significant improvement.

But you do agree with the other two facts that were quoted?

Archived