Match Thread: Port Vale v Rochdale

Fosse69

11 minutes ago, ollyandpatch said:

Just a thought...Brown v Covlan?  Pope v Wilson?  Benning v Montano?  Johnson v Brisley?  Thoughts.?

When they’ve had years under their belt and not games someone can let you know.

• Like 1

Not sure why Jones was taken off unless carrying a knock. The first two goals came from the back post on our left, no-one picking up their No.9. At least Jones would have a better chance physically of challenging him than Benning. If a tactical switch then surely Amoo for Benning may have been a better option.

All said let’s learn from defeat and get going again, still 40 games to win.

• Like 1

Just a thought...Brown v Covlan?  Pope v Wilson?  Benning v Montano?  Johnson v Brisley?  Thoughts.?
Like how you've deliberately and conveniently carefully chosen your players for comparison. Shouldn't it be Proctor v Pope, given that Proctor is the only 'Pope like' striker? Also, Johnson v Brisley? That surely should be Jones v Brisley. You've ignored the obvious comparisons that don't suit your purpose as well:

Cass v Mills
Pett/Walker v Joyce
Garrity v Manny/McKirdy
Wilson v Robinson
Jones v Crookes
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

All the teams we have played so far are currently in the top half.

They have had either very promising - solid starts to the season.

These opening fixtures were known to be tough before the season started.

The team needs to bed in, get settled and the first 11 needs to be established. Can’t do that in 6 games.

The opportunity for growth and development is clear regarding some players, which is a big change from the “this is me until I retire” ceiling of last year.

I’d say we have the manager to turn it around, but that suggests we have started poorly and overall we haven’t. It’s been odd mistakes on the whole rather than being played off the park.

Another top 4 team, with 1 defeat, away from home on Saturday. But it all evens out eventually.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 1 said:

All the teams we have played so far are currently in the top half.

They have had either very promising - solid starts to the season.

These opening fixtures were known to be tough before the season started.

The team needs to bed in, get settled and the first 11 needs to be established. Can’t do that in 6 games.

The opportunity for growth and development is clear regarding some players, which is a big change from the “this is me until I retire” ceiling of last year.

I’d say we have the manager to turn it around, but that suggests we have started poorly and overall we haven’t. It’s been odd mistakes on the whole rather than being played off the park.

Another top 4 team, with 1 defeat, away from home on Saturday. But it all evens out eventually.

Rochdale had won 1 in 5 (just saying ) 

Missed Leggey massively at the back yesterday but the biggest worry for me was how we went into our shells after Beesley scored.Just didn't bounce back at all and let them dictate the game.Garrity hardly got a kick and our ball- watchers were out in force.

• Like 1

I think this is a strong division and Rochdale yesterday were a strong team. I think there were reasons why they got relegated last season, but I thought they looked like a good quality League 1 team once they got into the game. Once they came into the game, the disappointing thing for me was we couldn't just be solid, keep them out and play counter attack. We looked constantly vulnerable in defence and particularly in not stopping crosses, in the air on crosses and goalkeeper not dominating the six yard box. I also accuse the goalie yesterday of just not being in goal. On their third goal he just has to do something more than stand there; rush out, anything!

The tactical changes didn't work and we equalised with a well taken goal that to me came as a surprise. Rodney was ineffective, but to me that was because he kept getting tackled by players from a higher level of football than he has played at. So he has to learn from that. He did frustrate with a scuffed left foot shot in a really good position when he has to blast it properly or pass to a well place colleague. 

Going back to the goalie, it is a compliment they stopped his on the ground distribution throughout the game. But he nonetheless carried on kicking from hand - which is basically lumping it. We surely must play out from the back more in that situation and exploit the fact they have temporarily reduced their outfield players to nine by them marking the keeper. 

I still think we have a good squad. I am ok with the manager. But the reality maybe that this is a very strong League 2; is that a consequence of COVID-19 and its post pandemic impact?

Edited by Warren
  • Like 1

Just seen the highlights back. First up, you’ve got to say there was an element of decent play from them but, crikey we didn’t half help them. Our goals came from us blocking clearances rather than being well-worked.

I’m now convinced that 3-5-2 will not work at home with that personnel. Their first goal underlines this. Benning totally out of position in the centre-circle beaten by a drag-back from their no 10 leaving their RWB that entire side to pick out a plumb cross straight on the head of Beesley who’d peeled off Martin. Also, look at the run the no 10 made after he’d laid the ball off to the RWB, they were doing that all afternoon all over the pitch compared to our very static midfield. 

Clarke needs to get over this reluctance to play 4-3-3. Yes it means we lose Wilson, but Amoo/Rodney and Worrall have goals in them when played higher up the pitch and could support Proctor. Walker then offers some defensive protection.

3 minutes ago, Warren said:

I think this is a strong division and Rochdale yesterday were a strong team. I think there were reasons why they got relegated last season, but I thought they looked like a good quality League 1 team once they got into the game. Once they came into the game, the disappointing thing for me was we couldn't just be solid, keep them out and play counter attack. We looked constantly vulnerable in defence and particularly in not stopping crosses, in the air on crosses and goalkeeper not dominating the six yard box. I also accuse the goalie yesterday of just not being in goal. On their third goal he just has to do something more than stand there; rush out, anything!

The tactical changes didn't work and we equalised with a well taken goal that to me came as a surprise. Rodney was ineffective, but to me that was because he kept getting tackled by players from a higher level of football than he has played at. So he has to learn from that. He did frustrate with a scuffed left foot shot in a really good position when he has to blast it properly or pass to a well place colleague. 

Going back to the goalie, it is a compliment they stopped his on the ground distribution throughout the game. But the nonetheless he carried on kicking from hand - which is basically lumping it. We surely must play out from the back in that situation and exploit the fact they have temporarily reduced their outfield players to nine by them marking the keeper. 

I still think we have a good squad. I am ok with the manager. But the reality maybe that this is a very strong League 2; is that a consequence of COVID-19 and its post pandemic impact?

It’s still the bottom division of the football league the old division 4 and I’m afraid it looks a decent league is  because at the moment we don’t look that good maybe the gaffer can turn it around we’ll have to wait and see 

2 minutes ago, ollyandpatch said:

Christ there was no agenda from my part. Seen alot of changes in 50 years they were just 4 names that came to mind for a Sunday morning chat, not a crucifixion.  Lol

Brown is clearly a better keeper than Covolan based on what I have seen. But Brown was rusting up with age. Pope had become an impact player; maybe unfairly. The rest, well I need to see more games before I decide if we are better or worse. 

3 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

It’s still the bottom division of the football league the old division 4 and I’m afraid it looks a decent league is  because at the moment we don’t look that good maybe the gaffer can turn it around we’ll have to wait and see 

Yes, that is a fair enough comment. If try to put some logic on the Premier League has become the top league in Europe again and that can reflect in players being displaced and pushed down the leagues. Also, clubs higher in the structure hit very hard by COVID-19 have released players and cut wage bills; so again the impact will be to push quality deeper. I just genuinely think that Rochdale were a good side yesterday. So too Tranmere - who have taken steps to resolve their striker problem since they played us. 

In our case we looked massively vulnerable at the back yesterday and we are going nowhere with that defence. 

46 minutes ago, 1 said:

When they’ve had years under their belt and not games someone can let you know.

Well you could argue to my eyes that keeping Pope over Wilson as a sub option with Proctor may have worked. 

Brown all day long over Covolan who I remain unconvinced is actually the best keeper at the club. 

The others, well as others have said, there are more valid comparisons. Although I do not rate Johnson at all. 

I despair of some Vale fans at times. After 1 poor defensive game against L2 opposition, we're suddenly going nowhere with this defence. The previous 2 goals in 5 games conceded quickly forgotten then? Now we're scoring, we're apparently not scoring through good play, but luckily and/or opposition mistakes. Third choice keeper at Exeter is better than Covolan. Pope's struggling to score for Congleton and missed a sitter against Macclesfield, but he's a good backup option in L2.

Nowt like Vale fans to overreact! The first game that you can honestly say that we've looked poor (for 70 minutes) all season and some are jumping up and down and screaming from the rooftops to rip it all up and start again. Get a grip

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Strange game really, should of been game over after 15 minutes and up until their goal it felt like it was going to be a comfortable afternoon.

Really missed Legge and they don’t score with him there certainly the first two goals which were awful.

Wasn’t sure on the formation, Smith seemed out wide!

The third goal is dreadful, what is Benning doing? He’s next to their scorer and runs the opposite way to goal to him when the ball is played! If he stays on him we deal with that.

Really odd, we looked a real top side early on then just stopped playing, the movement and passing was excellent but once they scored we couldn’t do the simple things right let alone the quality we had produced prior to that.

On the positive though Proctor looks fit and in form. 5 goals already considering his lowish minute total is impressive. Wilson did ok he opened the space for Proctor and his touch was excellent, no surprise once he went off the chances dried up.