Match Thread: Port Vale v Rochdale

Fosse69

So disappointed with that defeat after such a great start but congratulations to Rochdale on their first ever league win at Vale Park.We should have been 3-0 up before they scored but we are sadly lacking up front despite creating numerous chances once again.

Gutted but still hopeful.KTF

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rockape99 said:

For me not starting Walker with Conlon and Pet was an error as Walker is the defensive rock that enables conlon and Pett to cause havoc. Today conlon got marked out of the game for 60 minutes. Terrible defending.

Garrity deserved to keep his place he was excellent at Forest Green.

Walker actually didn't shore up the midfield one little bit when he came on . 

Majority were off it including Walker 

Well, really don’t know what to make of that game or the team in general.

First 20 minutes, outstanding and the game really ought to have been put to bed. That chance that hit the post (Garrity??) has to be seen to be believed.

Then at 20 mins it was like a switch was flicked as they had us totally figured out. We lost complete control of the game and never got it back.

I have no doubt Rochdale will be up in the top 3 this season. They had some very good players, a more direct and purposeful midfield with neat passing an excellent movement and Beesley, O’Keefe and Odoh caused us no end of problems. 

On comparison, our midfield looked pedestrian with too many slow and sideways passing, before looking for the ‘Hollywood’ ball which stopped working for us 20 mins in. All are neat and tidy on the ball but as a unit didn’t look anywhere near the level of theirs.

The less said about our defending the better. Beesley had our CB’s on toast but I do think he’d have found it a more difficult afternoon against Legge.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this system simply does not suit the players we have.

Benning has been a major disappointment for me so far, but I agree with ‘Seb’ off Radio Joke who said there are that many formation changes he probably doesn’t understand what his job is. 

Rodney looks a shadow of the player of last year, likewise Worrall, both being effectively played out of position. 

Interesting to see where we go from here, especially ahead of a trip to our not-so-happy hunting ground Swindon 😩

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, valiantastic said:

i don’t even think it’s that type of defender we need. it’s more the leadership qualities that legge shows. Smith plays better along side legge and you can hear them both when he’s in the side. today when was quiet i swear you couldn’t hear the defenders talking to each other whereas most times when smith and legge playing they are screaming for 90 minutes. our back line did get bullied today and we didn’t have an answer on how to stop him

What you described is just what I meant by Beast

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pops said:

Recruitment is shocking!

Benning Martin OMG.

Very rare that a club goes all summer without making one or two indifferent signings. Remember Tudor and Miller?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Santa said:

Very rare that a club goes all summer without making one or two indifferent signings. Remember Tudor and Miller?

And who was the useless black midfielder we signed at the same time? And the left back?  God, that was a bad year!

I’d like to know everyone’s opinion on Pett? To me he seems like a good player to have when you’re winning and on top, but second half he was anonymous. 

He is a tidy player and keeps us ticking but he rarely passes forward or breaks the line. Conlon is our only creative midfielder. 

I felt like the Rochdale players passed forward and broke the lines a lot more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuperHuman said:

I’d like to know everyone’s opinion on Pett? To me he seems like a good player to have when you’re winning and on top, but second half he was anonymous. 

He is a tidy player and keeps us ticking but he rarely passes forward or breaks the line. Conlon is our only creative midfielder. 

Made same shout in a wattsap group. Tidy player but seems to go around in circles. Hasn't impressed yet but his Vale career is still in its infancy. 

I expect him to get way better. 

19 minutes ago, Emile said:

I really hate these port Vale fans that come out of the woodwork when we lose. It's embarrassing. 

I find it more embarrassing that ex players have to put the boot in, at least Yates and Birchall give considered opinion not clouded by prejudice.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

I think that’s a fair assessment. Everything he does is tidy and looks good but he never really seems to be the one to put his hand up and grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Just feels like a missed opportunity today in general though to be fair I think Rochdale did everything they set out to do well. Rodney has played himself off the bench completely as far as I’m concerned, think bringing on Amoo would have been the better call in retrospect.

Well here's some good news: Jamie Proctor is joint second scorer in L2 with the highest goal ratio for 90 minutes (1.21), the fewest minutes per goal (75) and, among the top 10 leading scorers, he has the second highest conversion rate (44%). At this rate, he'll be our 20 goals a season striker. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-two/top-scorers

At least something is going right. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Pops said:

Recruitment is shocking!

Benning Martin OMG.

3 hours ago, Pops said:

Having a bad game is one thing.

being a poor player is very different. Was I a bad player?😩

How embarrassing.

Although when you list your interests as “stirring the do-dah” on your profile as a 75 year old man, what else are we to expect. 

Bitterness will eat you alive people. 

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Phil1965 said:

What is going wrong at Vale Park, I had you down to make the play offs!

Looks like we will be heading back to League 2, as we have lost all our decent players over the last 12 months.

Played 6 games mate , had we won we'd be in the play offs 

Edited by darren1810

50 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

And who was the useless black midfielder we signed at the same time? And the left back?  God, that was a bad year!

Was that down to a scout or manager?  Didn’t our manager say he’d not watched these players but knew “of them”? Piss poor if that’s the case surely 

Next week I’d go:

Covolan

Cass/Gibbons - Smith - Jones - Amos

Garrity - Conlon - Walker

Worrall - Proctor - Amoo

Whilst I don’t think for one minute Clarke will go 4-3-3 he will find it impossible not to drop the players who had absolute stinkers today i.e. Benning, Martin and Rodney. I don’t think Pett contributes enough personally, and I think that midfield has a better balance to it. Worrall needs to be in his rightful position upfield.