Match Thread: Port Vale v Rochdale

Fosse69

4 minutes ago, Pops said:

You happy?

you believing the spin?

stooping low with your reply Jean.

What was low about it Ray?  Players have poor games. All I was asking was if you had ever had one. Criticising the whole recruitment on the basis of one game was, in my opinion, over the top and unnecessary. 

• Like 9

It seems like too often our back three are stretched and have to go and close down the player on the ball (causing a chain reaction of passing on their player to somebody else and so on) and that’s how somebody gives their man the slip and scores against us  

Thats what happened on Tuesday and it looked like what happened today when Benning slipped for their first.

Edited by Santa

1 hour ago, Beech said:

After the first 15 minutes or so this has been absolutely depressing stuff. Through poor mistakes and sloppy play again and again we've made Rochdale look much better than they are.

Beech, I agree. The reason being that after 15 minutes of them not having a touch and playing it on the floor and going forward. Worrall moved from right wing to right fullback, Smith from centre half to right midfield. The ball then started getting pumped in the air, we invited Rochdale to keep possession and come at us which they duly did, as we weren’t pressing the ball. Then we started hoofing the ball in the air and passing side wards and backwards.

Who is responsible for changing the style of play after the first 15 mins.?

• Like 3

That was a strange game. If playing with Wilson was like playing with 10, as someone has claimed, then playing with Rodney was like playing with 9. Atrocious performance by him. If he carries on playing like that, even I'll be calling for Pope to come back
Thought you were Mr Positive? Leave them alone!

6 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Be quiet Ray. Sour grapes, leave the complaining to the other few idiots 

I’m not complaining. Just giving my opinion. No sour grapes. Believe me I am well out of it.😎

Edited by Pops

Its hard to know what to make of that display after last week. We started like a train and could have been 2 or 3 up with better finishing, but as soon as they scored with pretty much their first chance we just lost all our momentum. I'm liking Proctor and Wilson up front, and although only one is scoring, I'm sure that will change. The defence was terrible today, but I dont think its just Legge's absence. I dont think that the half time subs worked at all. Rodney needs to learn to stay on his feet as he's going backwards. Why won't he play Politic?

Just hope its a one off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Be quiet Ray. Sour grapes, leave the complaining to the other few idiots 

2 minutes ago, Pops said:

I’m not complaining. Just giving my opinion.

Started very well didn’t we. Some exciting stuff first 15 mins and Conlon was instrumental. We prob started too well if that makes sense. Then for some reason, was it they altered something? I didn’t see. We started to lose a grip on the game and started to play those long balls that go nowhere. We conceded some bad goals today and we still always let crosses come into the box far too often for me. 

Pleased with proctor. He looks a very good player. All that hard work last week seems for nothing. It was a big game for me today in terms of getting two wins on the bounce and in front of a good vocal crowd again and moving up the table. It’s a shame we couldn’t do this. I also wish Clarke would stop thinking he’s some kind of tactical genius in keep changing systems all the time. We’re prob better than last seasons side but we’re still short of a top 7 side. 

and don’t get me started on devante Rodney. 

Edited by sandyford_valiant
  • Like 4

Strange game today. How many times are we going to let teams off the hook, 2 guilt edge chances today, we should've been 3 up after 15 minutes. Very very poor at the back & lost control of the game as soon as we conceded the equaliser. 

Another special mention for Benning who I have to say is absolutely awful. He whips a decent ball in now & again but he literally offers nothing else. Absolute liability & shocking for the 3rd goal. I'm yet to see him have a good 90 minutes, doesn't look interested at all. Needs a rocket up his arse, as does Rodney on today's showing. He looked way off it. Wasn't even challenging for the ball half the time & easily muscled out, which for a bloke of his size is shocking.

Overall really disappointing as it would have been great to back up last weeks great win, with a home win. We're now starting from scratch again.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Benning an absolute legend at Mansfield with clubs in the higher division after him. Martin a virtual ever present in a Scottish Premier side last season after he signed and excellent last week at FGR. Both had poor games today - I take it you never had a poor game Ray?

So was Bob Delgado at Chester, wasn't the "Matrix" supposed to guard against this sort of thing happening. 24/38 Lge games for the Accies hardly counts as a "Virtual ever present",  a team that finished bottom of the league by 6 points.

• Like 2

All League Two teams will randomly lose games they don't expect to, that's a given. But we've defended well all season in the league so far, up until today. Had someone told me prior to kick-off we'd score 2 goals I'd have been celebrating three points early. Although a bit of credit has to go to Rochdale, the space we allowed players to knock balls into our area for their goals and pretty much the entire game was disgraceful. 

Edited by Beech
  • Like 1

Individual errors are hard to legislate for, the same happened on Tuesday with Johnson.  But I thought we were far worse today, I have no idea why we went so flat, but I do think the manager made a mistake with his subs. I think he panicked at half time, we were still in the game and those 2 changes were too early. Rodney and Cass had no impact on the game, both were poor for me and the Walker sub was baffling. Amoo played well on Tuesday and IMO deserved to come on over Rodney.  Worrall was struggling with a knock it seemed so why not bring on Amoo or politic for him? Overall, individual errors and tactical mistakes from Clarke I think cost us dearly. But also let’s not forget that Rochdale are a good side. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 3

Well not much say Rochdale deserved the win we started the game like we were going tonk them 10 -0 then I felt we got too arrogant and conceded a abysmal equaliser then another terrible goal from a cross with Martin and Smith not covering themselves in glory on both occasions in fact they were feeble on both occasions with Beesley showing that he wanted it more it was dreadful defending shame really as Smith set up Proctor first superbly and Conlon set up Proctors second superbly but then we concede a even worse goal the third although he looked miles offside to me but overall they deserved the win we gave them too much space in my opinion .

PROCTOR superb 👌enjoyed his application and loved the remembering all the wonderful people lost to covid and other horrible diseases. 

VALE have much to do I was livid with the defence they have given the  game away today in my opinion .

Edited by Breadwinner

Disappointing result, good day out though. First proper visit to the fan zone, very enjoyable hope they find a way to expand it and cover it for the winter months. I like the Procter Wilson partnership upfront. I think Wilson is getting some rough reviews, his movement and hold up play is very good, he just needs a goal to top it off now. Devantes appearance was underwhelming to say the least, miles off the pace. Defensive errors let us down today, that's not taking any credit off Rochdale, they looked a decent outfit. Keep the faith valiants, we will get there.

• Like 3