onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Rochdale

Fosse69

I can see signs that once we click we are going have a very good season on the basis of what i have seen up to yet .

I think as always that attack is the best form of defence its good see us creating and once again even on sat proctors should have had the matchball the chances he took were harder than the one he missed at start of game after Wilson scuffed his shot then Martin as headed over and we have two appeals for penalties waved away one on Smith and one in second half where it looked a blatant handball to me but that's about 6 decisions penalties which haven't gone for us in home games alone .

Wilson was making some very good off the  ball runs first half got a feeling he will be scoring 2 in a game soon in fact when we go forwards we look a good side I'm extremely impressed with Smith considering he is a centre half at going forwards but that does leave us exposed if someone loses the ball but better to be brave than a coward .

Rodney came on and you thinking go on lad burst past that last defender and get in on goal as jp as not just showed he as a sublime feet for a big lad like Popey he like Popey can flick it on but no good flicking it on if the other forward is not 1 got good feet get past his man and 2 has the belief that he can indeed go past his man 3 actually read where the  balls going drop and fire towards goal ,lets hope DC has learned from that game sat and maybe try Amoo up there off Proctor the goal v Bolton no messing about bang after fabulous through ball by Lewis Cass who seemed a bit nervous on sat not surprised though as Martin Smith and Bennings defensive efforts were not worthy on the day as the goals against unanimously show with the goalkeeper stuck on his line as soon as thar ball comes in the box get off your line you did it away v Forest Green why the hell didn't you do  it sat.

Encouraging signs going forwards though  we have 6 players  who can switch a ball (Charlie Adam type balls )and thar can only be a positive .

I think there are lots of goals in us make sure the  back door is shut in future 

UTV 

Advert

First 15 minutes was the best I've seen a Vale side play for a number of years. Tom Conlon was simply sublime and was at a Championship level for that brief period. It's no exaggeration to say we should've been three up.

Clarke tinkered too much and got it wrong. Too much 'game management' when the game demanded a 'we'll score more than you' approach. I'd still rather that than not seeing a sub for 75 minutes, which we've seen with previous managers.

It's cliched but let's trust the process. One of the reasons why far smaller clubs like Crewe, Accrington, Morecambe and Burton Albion have Sunderland, Pompey, Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday coming to town (instead of Barrow, Sutton and Harrogate) is because they've been patient and don't have fanbases that over-react to every defeat or sloppy goal conceded. It's a long slog of a season and we need to leverage the fantastic support we have for good rather than piling on the pressure. We're a club clearly going in the right direction off the pitch, and on it we're trying something new instead of the same old. I'm still confident that if we stick with it we've got a solid season ahead of us.

KTF.

Rochdale were far superior to Forest Green as an attacking unit and therefore much harder to defend against. Forest Green played ponderous possession football with no penetration and by the time they were able to get a cross in the Vale defence and midfield were back in the penalty area which became congested. As a result the Forest Green forwards were closely marked and had no space to move in. Contrast this with the first two Rochdale goals where the wide player delivered quality crosses into the box which were sufficiently far enough out to prevent the keeper from cutting them out and because the crosses were delivered early, the box was not congested, giving Beasley space to make a run to attack the ball. Admittedly the last goal was a defensive shambles but I think credit is due to the quality of the opposition rather than heaping all the blame on some of our defence. 

Archived