onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Rochdale

Fosse69

11 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Clutching at straws a bit, here, trying to blame the North-South divide! If you lived Oop Nawth, you would see we are also experiencing growing populations, because it has been decreed we need hundreds of thousands of new homes up here - usually in the beautiful countryside that gets raped and pillaged by greedy, lazy developers! However...Port Vale 4 -4 Aston Villa...bottom tier, how many years ago? Wolves been in the bottom tier, too...and weren't Man City there as well? Ipswich have been a bit of a yoyo over the decades - as have Norwich / WBA / QPR / Charlton Birmingham - all big(ish) and ex=Prem clubs who've been either in L2 or L1 at some time, and for some time. Wigan - a typical working-class Northern club - made it all the way to the Prem and Fa Cup winners before the number of games their small squad played saw them get relegated...and again...but there are signs of resurgence. Sorry, cha - I don't buy that!

Wigan were bankrolled by Dave Whelan at a massive loss for years. 

Ipswich had not been in the third tier since 1957, until they were relegated from the champ a couple of years back.

All the other examples are generations ago and not a reflection of modern football. 

The current climate is a trend for smaller, often southern based clubs in shire towns to do well and clog up the lower league places, leaving less room for traditional clubs like Vale. 

Advert

22 hours ago, Doha said:

They were a good side on the ball. I've watched every game this season and been to 5. Rochdale looked the tidiest league side we've played so far. 

I was thinking during the game there are times where you just have to say "yeah these look a better team" and yesterday was one of them. I am surprised given their relegation last season but on the basis of yesterday they could easily be up there in April/May.

Yes we made them look better because we were utterly dire at times but not to take anything away from them, they looked capable. 

Spot on.  I think you see this sometimes with the newly relegated teams, initially still playing a bit above the level.  I felt after 20 mins Rochdale performed as a league 1 team would for pretty much all of the remainder.  They were a cut above us for most of that time.  Whether they can continue to perform like that who knows.  Probably consistency will be their nemesis, as it is ours.

Hope Walker going be OK put on the bench v Bolton and Rochdale when playing superbly v Forest Green .

I've no idea what our manager was thinking yes Conlons a good player and he showed it for 25 mins of the 90 sat however Walker is a 80 out of 90 player and when Conlon has being involved we have lost all the games he as started in this season ,not to say its his fault just stating facts .

You do not take off Garrity and D Jones as im sure they were the players in form ,fair enough bringing Walker on but Conlon should have being the change along with Worrall who for 20 was magnificent but in my honest opinion disappeared as did a fair few of them however our second half displays with Pett Garrity and Walker as the 3 has being generally terrific.

Maybe something for DC to think about .

UTV 

On 05/09/2021 at 14:16, Doha said:

Just put myself through the misery of watching them back. Jesus. That phrase "he looks like he's won a competition to play" was really true for Mal Benning.

And yeah, watching it instead of fast paced real time from the back of the Railway, Cov was really slow on the first two. Has to at least touch the first one, it wasn't a bullet header. 

Can't believe how bad Garrity was?

Midfield is always where games are won and lost.

On 05/09/2021 at 12:55, Jacko51 said:

Martin was excellent at Forest Green.  He made a cock up for the first goal yesterday by misjudging the ball but as I said earlier, he's played the majority of his league career above League Two so he can't be as bad as people on here are making out.  Cut the bloke some slack.  Last season there were fans on here calling for Legge to be dropped because he was going through an awful spell before Christmas.  Good job we didn't listen to them

I am not saying  Aaron Martin is a poor player by any means just that he doesn't appear to be the dominant in the air, ball attacking center back in the mold of Leon Legge who's been outstanding for the Vale since he's been at the club apart from a blip in form last Nov/Dec....ish. 

5 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Hope Walker going be OK put on the bench v Bolton and Rochdale when playing superbly v Forest Green .

I've no idea what our manager was thinking yes Conlons a good player and he showed it for 25 mins of the 90 sat however Walker is a 80 out of 90 player and when Conlon has being involved we have lost all the games he as started in this season ,not to say its his fault just stating facts .

You do not take off Garrity and D Jones as im sure they were the players in form ,fair enough bringing Walker on but Conlon should have being the change along with Worrall who for 20 was magnificent but in my honest opinion disappeared as did a fair few of them however our second half displays with Pett Garrity and Walker as the 3 has being generally terrific.

Maybe something for DC to think about .

Its exactly what the Walsall fans told us that this how DC operates. Also TP stated that Monty said the same thing from his time under DC at BRFC.

7 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Wigan were bankrolled by Dave Whelan at a massive loss for years. 

Ipswich had not been in the third tier since 1957, until they were relegated from the champ a couple of years back.

All the other examples are generations ago and not a reflection of modern football. 

The current climate is a trend for smaller, often southern based clubs in shire towns to do well and clog up the lower league places, leaving less room for traditional clubs like Vale. 

So...Ipswich was a valid example, from me.

The other clubs mentioned - I've seen them all down the Vale, and I'm reasonably sure my son has, too? So, fairly recent in an organisation with well over a century of history. Other clubs - often, Southern ones, have also been bankrolled into massive debt - Fulham / QPR to mention a couple. Northern club Bolton, too, not so far distant. A problem with Northern clubs is that, for years, they have been mismanaged - Bury / Stockport being recent (but not the only) examples. Had these clubs been better managed they would still be alive and/or still in League 2 and not be replaced by successful, bankrolled non-League clubs which, largely, seem to have replaced themselves in League 2? Recent former non-League clubs relegated being: Macc / Yeovil / Dag & Redbridge / Barnet / Cheltenham / Boston U / Kidderminster / FRushden & Diamonds. Northern clubs in the ascendancy, however: Morecambe, Blackpool (despite an horrendous ownership) and Accrington off the top of my head.

27 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

If you think I am, then I probably was! But, I don't have the time to go trawling back through all the posts on here, so I'm not sure? 

Ginge - I am so sorry, i was supporting your post, not accusing you of disrespect, but quoted the wrong post! Sorry!

22 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Ginge - I am so sorry, i was supporting your post, not accusing you of disrespect, but quoted the wrong post! Sorry!

No problem. Just making sure because I agree with you about those people being disrespectful. 

12 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

I am not saying  Aaron Martin is a poor player by any means just that he doesn't appear to be the dominant in the air, ball attacking center back in the mold of Leon Legge who's been outstanding for the Vale since he's been at the club apart from a blip in form last Nov/Dec....ish. 

So he should be back from injury just in time to repeat the blip this year!

jokes obvs

Archived