onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Rochdale

Fosse69

Advert

5 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Cheer up youth.

We've sold 4,000+ season tickets and had record shirt sales!

If we're struggling, then Crawley/Stevenage/Rochdale/Harrogate/Barrow/Sutton may as well just give up!

They won’t. Because they don’t need fans. They are all bankrolled by wealthy local businessmen and have plenty of decent sponsors. The biggest poster boys for that are of course Salford. Those other clubs, except maybe Rochdale are the same concept on lower profile scales. 

Vale can match that to league 2 level but it gets harder to push on because we have so much competition, like the clubs you have mentioned, stopping us from breaking through easily. 

It could happen, but it won’t be easy.   

Stevenage for example raised all the money for their new North stand through selling bonds to fans which was well over £1 million. 

Rochdale have never been really above 3rd div level. 

All those clubs have in fact always been minnows and the idea that we should put up with being on a par with those guys is rather depressing. 

Just watched the highlights think the keeper should be doing better with the first two, a bit soft imo. Harsh to blame benning for all 3, first one he slips, second wasnt his man and third was his fault, tried to play offside and got caught out. Bad day at the office but players like benning and martin are not bad players. As already posted Martin has consistently played at a higher level and was excellent against forest green. 6 games in let’s give them a chance 

On 04/09/2021 at 22:09, rob1983 said:

She has fallen for the waffle. She deserves so much better.

Halfwit! How disrespectful to suggest that a successful, millionaire businesswoman who has just been invited onto the Football League Trust board, and is a vital part of the local community, would be taken in by a snake-oil salesman! You should be ashamed of yourself! 

13 hours ago, Joe B said:

There's a lot of 'last-game' analysis. Recency bias etc.

When we struggled to score, we were a team destined to not score enough this year. None of the strikers were good enough. No goals. Should have given Pope another year.

Now, two games later, we're scoring more freely, but conceding more freely. Now we're a team with a bad defence and that's our problem, when 2 games ago it was the forward line.

Football fans are football fans and that's what makes it fun, but these opening 6 games have seen us excellent, rubbish, free-flowing, stodgy, solid, leaky. Proctor has looked world-class after arriving with an abysmal record. Garrity went from Gerrard at Forest Green to a non-entity yesterday. We simply can't form any real conclusions yet apart from the conclusion that we're hard to figure out. 

It's clear we're very inconsistent, capable of being diametrically opposite within games, let alone week by week.

If we struggle to garner consistency by 10-15 games then it's concerning, but a lot of people have made a conclusion last night after coming to the exact opposite conclusion (with just as much certainty) two weeks ago. The only thing I can conclude at present is that we're a weird team who could feasibly do very well, if we strike a balance and iron out silly mistakes at both ends.

I'd have preferred us to have it all figured out and hit the ground running, but that hasn't happened. Pressure is on Clarke to figure it out, as he openly said Top 7 is success and he has an excellent structure to do so. Right now we feel like a side who have a completely new squad and things are taken a bit longer than expected to slot together.

Good post - logical and sensible! So much better than all the woodlice crawling out of the skirting-board...where were these people when we won away at the League leaders, last game, with the same squad?

13 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

...Even big clubs like Sunderland and Ipswich slipping to the third tier was unthinkable 10 years ago... 

Clutching at straws a bit, here, trying to blame the North-South divide! If you lived Oop Nawth, you would see we are also experiencing growing populations, because it has been decreed we need hundreds of thousands of new homes up here - usually in the beautiful countryside that gets raped and pillaged by greedy, lazy developers! However...Port Vale 4 -4 Aston Villa...bottom tier, how many years ago? Wolves been in the bottom tier, too...and weren't Man City there as well? Ipswich have been a bit of a yoyo over the decades - as have Norwich / WBA / QPR / Charlton Birmingham - all big(ish) and ex=Prem clubs who've been either in L2 or L1 at some time, and for some time. Wigan - a typical working-class Northern club - made it all the way to the Prem and Fa Cup winners before the number of games their small squad played saw them get relegated...and again...but there are signs of resurgence. Sorry, cha - I don't buy that!

10 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

They won’t. Because they don’t need fans. They are all bankrolled by wealthy local businessmen and have plenty of decent sponsors. The biggest poster boys for that are of course Salford. Those other clubs, except maybe Rochdale are the same concept on lower profile scales. 

Vale can match that to league 2 level but it gets harder to push on because we have so much competition, like the clubs you have mentioned, stopping us from breaking through easily. 

It could happen, but it won’t be easy.   

Stevenage for example raised all the money for their new North stand through selling bonds to fans which was well over £1 million. 

Rochdale have never been really above 3rd div level. 

All those clubs have in fact always been minnows and the idea that we should put up with being on a par with those guys is rather depressing. 

None of those clubs have wealthy benefactors - they all rely on organic growth/ticket sales/merchandise.

16 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Martin was excellent at Forest Green.  He made a cock up for the first goal yesterday by misjudging the ball but as I said earlier, he's played the majority of his league career above League Two so he can't be as bad as people on here are making out.  Cut the bloke some slack.  Last season there were fans on here calling for Legge to be dropped because he was going through an awful spell before Christmas.  Good job we didn't listen to them

Spot on Jacko. Martin never missed a ball at free scoring FGR and Covolan was excellent with his claiming most set pieces and corners .

It's knee jerk again . The mad thing is that had we won we'd of been 7th. 

Vale fans love a moan, I'm all for constructive moaning ( I'm an expert ) but last week's world beaters are this week's cart horses on here.

It's a funny old game 

13 hours ago, LancyTony said:

This is the most disrespectful among the many disrespectful and ludicrous, over-the-top, knee-jerk posts on here! Where were all these detractors during the unbeaten run of last season, and most of the games of the new season? - under their rocks is where!

Hope you are not referring to my post as disrespectful!

I've taken a few days to think about the game on Saturday. I'm not a knee-jerk reaction type guy, I'm a glass half full type and I'm also aware that as much as you can't let the team get away with poor results, it's important that you offer an opinion with balance. There are a lot of Vale fans that don't share the same outlook as me and they won't take positives from the game. I fear that this is counter-productive to the team. The truth is we're not playing awful football and we're not struggling to create chances. 

Before the game on Saturday Vale were top of the table for chances created and Rochdale were second. They are/were a tidy unit and efficient in their play. Clarke's double sub at the break seemed to give Rochdale the advantage but I don't know if it was because of knocks. With Askey, we had a manager who was afraid of making changes and now we have one that makes them when it doesn't look like we need to. What we can all probably agree on is it didn't work on Saturday.

My opinion on players; there is no doubt that Wilson brings something to the team. In all 4 of Proctor's goals, I feel like Wilson has been involved in some way (Edit: Except his 2nd against Rochdale as he was subbed), either creating space dragging players away or actually bringing the ball into play and getting the assist. I like Pett, he has that quick turn and pass but I wish he could look up a bit more and create, push the ball forward. Jones and Garrity have been the standouts for me. Jones can create an attack back in defence with his diagonal balls and Garrity has shown he isn't afraid of driving forward with the ball, has a lot of energy.

Proctor looked great in the few mins he had against Tranmere, struggled against Carlise but now scored 4 in 2. Fantastic start but should have scored that sitter near the start of the game the other day. He has a good touch, can run with the ball a bit, strong in the air. He's taken the chance in the games he's been in and I think it will be Wilson and Proctor starting for the foreseeable. 

Martin and Cass weren't great at the weekend, the latter looking a bit nervous. 

Covolan, worries me when he comes out but he's looked solid as an actual shot stopper. Could have done better with the goals but with Legge in the side, he would be heading two of them away. Benning was more at fault for their third, was too slow for the run, kept him onside too. Benning has started poorly but as I've said in another post, I think he got into the game in the later stages of the game. Looks a little unsure of what his role is.

51 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Spot on Jacko. Martin never missed a ball at free scoring FGR and Covolan was excellent with his claiming most set pieces and corners .

It's knee jerk again . The mad thing is that had we won we'd of been 7th. 

Vale fans love a moan, I'm all for constructive moaning ( I'm an expert ) but last week's world beaters are this week's cart horses on here.

It's a funny old game 

I'm wondering whether the performances at FGR and Bolton pushed things on, perhaps too quickly.

Encouraging a more attacking, more risky approach to the game.

Hence we play champagne football for twenty minutes, then ran out of steam.

Leaving out Walker may have been pivotal.

My expectation is that we will go back to basics and start again, only from a base of greater knowledge.

Easy to lambast with the benefit of hindsight, but this is how progress is made.

It's all about learning...

I know football is constantly changing but there will still be plenty of days when League Two is more about winning key battles all over the pitch, getting in your tackles, winning your aerial duels, than it is a chess match.

Sometimes you have to throw any thoughts about systems out of the window and just go toe to toe with the opposition.

Archived