onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Rochdale

Fosse69

Advert

I've watched the goals back & there's an argument to say Benning is at fault for all 3.

He slips for the first at a key moment which opens the pitch up for the first goal. 2nd goal the man runs across him & wins the header from the cross. 3rd goal is the worst of the lot, he just physically gives up on the man he is marking, despite being the only Vale defender playing him onside by almost 2 yards. Absolutely shocking & I hope he gets dropped. He's looked lazy & unfit in every game I've seen him so far.

This after his almost calamitous clearance in the first half when he was left holding the fort for a Vale corner, which ended up leading to a 4 on 2 for Rochdale which they managed to squander. One of the worst individual performances I've seen up the Vale. Dreadful. Cost us atleast a point yesterday. 

5 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Sadly we are lucky to be where we are as so much of the money in football is no longer with the traditional working class Northern clubs. 

Looking at the league and non league so many of our old Championship level rivals or bigger clubs are down here or worse. 

Wrexham, Stockport, Bury, Oldham, Notts County, Bradford, etc etc have hit all time lows with some others even folding completely. 

Fan power has diminished and Southern small clubs have taken the place of those in the league as they have wealthy local sponsors and increasing populations. 

Even big clubs like Sunderland and Ipswich slipping to the third tier was unthinkable 10 years ago. 

We don’t really have any income streams, Carol’s philanthropy aside that will easily kick us up the leagues. 

The days of mega transfer income thanks to Bosnan are long gone and notably compared to many clubs we don’t seem to get many local sponsors putting money in.   

I thought the latter was due to an odious owner but unfortunately although a few have pulled behind Carol’s vision, it isn’t as many as we need. 

Cheer up youth.

We've sold 4,000+ season tickets and had record shirt sales!

If we're struggling, then Crawley/Stevenage/Rochdale/Harrogate/Barrow/Sutton may as well just give up!

1 hour ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Interesting thoughts from their manager.

Interesting, indeed. I think it’s right to credit the quality of their crossing and that defence splitting pass for the third - adds a bit of balance to our (justified) criticism. As a general comment, I think I’ve seen a better standard of football in this season so far than I’ve been used to and for the neutral, the entertainment value has been very good.

I think especially in home games the high press is called for we didn't do it enough yesterday in my opinion our second goal came from the high-press Conlon winning it putting a lovely ball to J P and he finished superbly .

Also if your the manager I'm no manager but did you notice if you were at the game that we were giving up a lot of the pitch and to me that was as bad as the defending there number 8 was allowed all the time in the world do whatever he wanted with Conlon Pett and Garrity and Walker second half no where near him ,get a challenge in go man mark him as you allowing them build momentum to pass it for fun that is what swung the game in  there favour, docileness throughout the side Wilson hands on hips done for after 30 minutes not working hard enough on the games I have seen Bailey impressed me more  than what he as ,however he wasn't the only one Benning plays  like he is frightened no idea why ask him 

UTV 

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Cheer up youth.

We've sold 4,000+ season tickets and had record shirt sales!

If we're struggling, then Crawley/Stevenage/Rochdale/Harrogate/Barrow/Sutton may as well just give up!

and Walsall.

5 hours ago, Joe B said:

I did think the same but the highlights aren't massively pretty. They'd have been great saves if he'd pulled the first two off but it's undeniable that he's slow to the first. The second flashes past him pretty quick. His clumsy diving style makes it look worse. He seems to be diving backwards for both.

The third is a 1 on 1 and its a tidy finish. Not a great deal he could do but maybe his arms are a bit narrow.

They aren't egregious mistakes at all but, so far, he's yet to make anything more than a standard save. Very harsh some of the criticism levelled at him yesterday as Martin + Benning were far, far worse but he definitely needs to improve.

Yes, I think that is my problem here. I'm used to Brown in recent years who was a significantly better keeper. Its not his fault, but he's coming up from non league whereas Brown was probably at least strong League 1 level. However, Brown had aged and was going downhill. With the third goal, I accept he was stuffed by his own defence, but has to do more than stand there. I'm looking for a Schmeichal star charge. 

14 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Not a moan just an observation. No matter how you try to spin it Martin is not the dominant center back that Leon Legge is and won't be in the near or distant future unless there is significant improvement.

But you do agree with the other two facts that were quoted?

Martin was excellent at Forest Green.  He made a cock up for the first goal yesterday by misjudging the ball but as I said earlier, he's played the majority of his league career above League Two so he can't be as bad as people on here are making out.  Cut the bloke some slack.  Last season there were fans on here calling for Legge to be dropped because he was going through an awful spell before Christmas.  Good job we didn't listen to them

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Martin was excellent at Forest Green.  He made a cock up for the first goal yesterday by misjudging the ball but as I said earlier, he's played the majority of his league career above League Two so he can't be as bad as people on here are making out.  Cut the bloke some slack.  Last season there were fans on here calling for Legge to be dropped because he was going through an awful spell before Christmas.  Good job we didn't listen to them

I have only seen him live in one game, so you are right. I felt yesterday we were dominated in the air and I was looking to him to be the guy who headed everything away. So I feel disappointed he didn't or someone didn't. The best defensive header of the game was Worrall at the back stick and I think he was limping by then. 

3 hours ago, werstayinup said:

I am no football manager but for me the 352 or 451 system are ok away from home but at home you have to start players like Politic and Amoo(and i am not his biggest fan) and play a system that will fit Gibbons,Worrall and Jones/Amos in the same team...only my opinion of course

Thank goodness for that view. Spot on.

Have taken some time to reflect before posting on this one.

Yesterday was not good enough.

But we need to frame the problem properly.

The problem is not that those that played are not good enough… they proved against FGR they have it in them.

The problem is not that recruitment was wrong… lots to counter that argument including Proctor, Garrity, Jones etc. Even Johnson played so well against Sheff Wednesday that he was being heralded as a beast.

The problem is not that we have a leaky defence, the previous 5 games prove that argument to be wrong.

The problem is that this group of players need to find consistency… YESTERDAY some players had bad games, YESTERDAY the defence was leaky.

Its a new squad, consistency needs to be found and it needs to happen quickly.

The overreaction meltdown from some is expected.

Others need to breath, take a step back and not project a doomsday scenario.

I've watched the game again today mainly because I couldn't understand how we managed to lose after the way we dominated the first 20 minutes. We actually didn't play that bad but we stopped pressing them and looked a little lazy at times off the ball. The first two goals we conceded were just sloppy defending from all the defenders and the third Benning just allowed his man to stroll past him.

On 04/09/2021 at 18:51, ginge said:

...Saying Carol has fallen for the waffle? Do you think she is naive and weak? May as well say it. How insulating to a credible business person -someone who saved our club from Smurf the clown and not only that, a fan who really cares about the community and our club. 

This is the most disrespectful among the many disrespectful and ludicrous, over-the-top, knee-jerk posts on here! Where were all these detractors during the unbeaten run of last season, and most of the games of the new season? - under their rocks is where!

Archived