onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Rochdale

Fosse69

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

1) it’s only been 6 games. 
2) was pope a regular starter? So it should be pope v proctor. 
3)What about all the other players? 

We must have the most impatient fan base going. Everyone loved them last week and now we’re saying they’re not up to it. Getting really sick of it. 

We may be an away team! But honestly, I am not making comments with hostility. I think we have a good squad and capable management / backroom staff. But we lost a game yesterday in ways that definitely could have been avoided. 

Advert

31 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Sadly we are lucky to be where we are as so much of the money in football is no longer with the traditional working class Northern clubs. 

Looking at the league and non league so many of our old Championship level rivals or bigger clubs are down here or worse. 

Wrexham, Stockport, Bury, Oldham, Notts County, Bradford, etc etc have hit all time lows with some others even folding completely. 

Fan power has diminished and Southern small clubs have taken the place of those in the league as they have wealthy local sponsors and increasing populations. 

Even big clubs like Sunderland and Ipswich slipping to the third tier was unthinkable 10 years ago. 

We don’t really have any income streams, Carol’s philanthropy aside that will easily kick us up the leagues. 

The days of mega transfer income thanks to Bosnan are long gone and notably compared to many clubs we don’t seem to get many local sponsors putting money in.   

I thought the latter was due to an odious owner but unfortunately although a few have pulled behind Carol’s vision, it isn’t as many as we need. 

Aston Villa spent a few years in Div 3 in the seventies Man City in the nineties and Burnley nearly got relegated from div 4 in the late eighties or early nineties plus sheff weds and wolves in div 4 

Great to see the fan zone had a pint of carling (not overly enjoyable ) first one my lads ever brought me so I'm going treasure that .

Said enough about the game if play whole 90 like first 20 odd minutes no reason why we cannot win the league .

The attendances are great I mean 5600 home support is very good considering what league we are in 6113 gate 7 thousand plus last sat home game that's a positive. 

So as the season pans out the home attendances will show how well or unwell we are doing but this booing them at the final whistle and cheering like crazy when they win is as consistent as the performances.

I'm Vale if they win and deserve win I'll applaud them off  ,if they lose and have given everything I will applaud them off especially when you consider the opposition have come down from a higher league and played like it at times its like Fulham v Stoke Fulham better players won the game easily sometimes you have to give the opposition credit and take one on the  chin and say they did a number on us .

UTV 

I know dropping him could trash Rodney’s already hit confidence but Amoo will have been fuming not to come on yesterday.

That was Rodney’s worst game since joining. Disinterested. I was watching his defensive duties in particular and he’d jog back, constantly narrow, not marking or tracking anyone, contributing zero other than filling a bit of space. You might argue he was finding positions in which he could break quickly from if the ball was turned over but I very much doubt it. I was sat with >10 relatives who’ve never been before and he stood out even to them as crap. 

Not up to par, having a bad game is one thing but not being arsed is nowhere near good enough.

I don’t like the wingbacks set up. Worrall wasted. Midfield bypassed, it’s hoofed up to the front two and turned over. They both have good strength and first touches but what can they do when there’s no bugger available for a pass. 

I haven’t seen the highlights yet as I can’t face it but my gut feeling for the criticism for Covolon is really harsh. I read something from some weapon on twitter earlier calling him a clown after his ‘performance’ yesterday. Glass houses. Nothing much more he could have done for all 3 on first glance from the railway. 

Where do they get these liners from? Another one constantly scared to make a decision and looking to the ref to blow up first before they dare raise their flag. Just give up you tossers, you can’t hack it. 

12 minutes ago, Doha said:

I haven’t seen the highlights yet as I can’t face it but my gut feeling for the criticism for Covolon is really harsh. I read something from some weapon on twitter earlier calling him a clown after his ‘performance’ yesterday. Glass houses. Nothing much more he could have done for all 3 on first glance from the railway. 

I did think the same but the highlights aren't massively pretty. They'd have been great saves if he'd pulled the first two off but it's undeniable that he's slow to the first. The second flashes past him pretty quick. His clumsy diving style makes it look worse. He seems to be diving backwards for both.

The third is a 1 on 1 and its a tidy finish. Not a great deal he could do but maybe his arms are a bit narrow.

They aren't egregious mistakes at all but, so far, he's yet to make anything more than a standard save. Very harsh some of the criticism levelled at him yesterday as Martin + Benning were far, far worse but he definitely needs to improve.

I think anyone who suggests that their victory was down to anything other than our defensive mistakes didn’t watch the same game as me. They were superior in every area of the pitch after 20 minutes and the way the players moved around the pitch and made it as wide as possible showed how to play a three man defence. Our midfield in comparison was flat and static and they played through us with ease and finding acres on the flanks to get crosses in. It is no use doing it for 20 mins and then hoping to hang on for the remaining 70+ as tired legs and minds mean plus bad luck often means this yields very little reward. So I don’t think SOME of the criticism is a knee-jerk to a disappointing result yesterday when some of the deficiencies have been clear from pre-season.

Just seen the goals again. My real time view had been they were good play from Rochdale. Watching them back, while that’s true there was some basic lack of “locking on” from defenders and yes, maybe Cov could have done better, Smith too for the second one. As a more general comment, I think Benning in particular looks a bit lost and needs to work his way into a bit of form and understand the adaptability required of him. If I had been minded to tinker with the defence at half time, I think I’d have moved Jones over to fullback and taken Benning out. All of that said, let’s not forget the context of how mean the defence has been thus far, last week even without Legge.

2 hours ago, philmpv said:

I despair of some Vale fans at times. After 1 poor defensive game against L2 opposition, we're suddenly going nowhere with this defence. The previous 2 goals in 5 games conceded quickly forgotten then? Now we're scoring, we're apparently not scoring through good play, but luckily and/or opposition mistakes. Third choice keeper at Exeter is better than Covolan. Pope's struggling to score for Congleton and missed a sitter against Macclesfield, but he's a good backup option in L2.

Nowt like Vale fans to overreact! The first game that you can honestly say that we've looked poor (for 70 minutes) all season and some are jumping up and down and screaming from the rooftops to rip it all up and start again. Get a grip

Stevenage first half? That was good wasn’t it

I didn't want to comment until I saw the goals back on tv. But having seen them again I'm not sure what our keeper is doing.
He seems to have a habit of diving backwards, and was caught in no man's land for the winner.
Dury is well and truly out on him after a very poor start to his league career.

Couldn’t go yesterday as I was working. Bitterly disappointed to see the result. Having watching the highlights, it’s slightly concerning to see us getting beat so easily in the air from crosses. My only real concern about this squad is we lack aerial presence at the back. If I was DC I’d be tempted to see if their are any commanding CH’s as free agents.

The positives are that Proctor took his goals really well and could be that 20+striker.  With him in this form, I would be tempted to play him as the focal point, and revert to 4-3-3. 

Its a long season, and a lot of patience is going to be needed. I’m happy to judge our progress at Christmas. I see potential, fingers crossed. UTV. 

Early doors but Martin looks no better than Brisley. He was as big as if not taller than there striker yesterday but their lad had him on toast all game. Looks very cumbersome. Despite being 36, Leon Legge is still our best centre-back by far. That's a bit of a worry.

50 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I think anyone who suggests that their victory was down to anything other than our defensive mistakes didn’t watch the same game as me. They were superior in every area of the pitch after 20 minutes and the way the players moved around the pitch and made it as wide as possible showed how to play a three man defence. Our midfield in comparison was flat and static and they played through us with ease and finding acres on the flanks to get crosses in. It is no use doing it for 20 mins and then hoping to hang on for the remaining 70+ as tired legs and minds mean plus bad luck often means this yields very little reward. So I don’t think SOME of the criticism is a knee-jerk to a disappointing result yesterday when some of the deficiencies have been clear from pre-season.

They were a good side on the ball. I've watched every game this season and been to 5. Rochdale looked the tidiest league side we've played so far. 

I was thinking during the game there are times where you just have to say "yeah these look a better team" and yesterday was one of them. I am surprised given their relegation last season but on the basis of yesterday they could easily be up there in April/May.

Yes we made them look better because we were utterly dire at times but not to take anything away from them, they looked capable. 

Just put myself through the misery of watching them back. Jesus. That phrase "he looks like he's won a competition to play" was really true for Mal Benning.

And yeah, watching it instead of fast paced real time from the back of the Railway, Cov was really slow on the first two. Has to at least touch the first one, it wasn't a bullet header. 

Archived