onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Rochdale

Fosse69

Rodney as i have said before is a bit part player but he isn't the reason we lost yesterday we lost yesterday because we didn't put in the hard yards when it mattered after our goal we let there centre halfs just control the play and there number 8 had that much time on the ball all game who was his man as he never got near him all game and surely you do not give time and that much room to a quality player .

Do not get me started on the defending I will say and i will keep saying it Smith is no leader at the back to be honest he was better yesterday as a attacking player maybe he should have Worralls position but his primary job is to defend and he did that poorly not helped by Martin who on the ball is decent but lacked physical bruteness to put there number 9 where he needed be put and that's in the stands early doors .

Benning is no Montano up to yet but hopefully he will improve .

Pett is a tidy footballer and Conlon has played both last 2 games and we have conceded 6 he was sublime first 20 and then he disappeared before setting up equaliser then disappearing again .

So my opinion is we had too many players hiding on that pitch yesterday but early days yet and if we can show more resolute defending as the  season progresses we will do well as there's no hiding place ,the crowds are good up Vale you make sure you reward them in future Vale players .

Step up 

Advert

16 hours ago, Beech said:

He's done absolutely nothing right since he came on. Think its time we started using the lad from Bolton.

This is the one thing i am struggling with as he is one player every fan of his club said was a class act.... i guess he doesn't fit into the 352 system,so why bring him in,he is one player i am eager to see though

Was very poor after the first 15 minutes. Game should have been wrapped up. Never seen a team go from 100 to 0 so quick. It’s quite worrying tbh. Conlon shouldn’t have come back in for Walker. No two ways manager cost us today and I quite like him. Needed to bring a centre half in to cover legge and we didn’t/haven’t. Martin will never be the answer. Hope he can improve but he was as strong as steam!

11 minutes ago, ollyandpatch said:

Just a thought...Brown v Covlan?  Pope v Wilson?  Benning v Montano?  Johnson v Brisley?  Thoughts.?

When they’ve had years under their belt and not games someone can let you know.

Not sure why Jones was taken off unless carrying a knock. The first two goals came from the back post on our left, no-one picking up their No.9. At least Jones would have a better chance physically of challenging him than Benning. If a tactical switch then surely Amoo for Benning may have been a better option.

All said let’s learn from defeat and get going again, still 40 games to win.

Just a thought...Brown v Covlan?  Pope v Wilson?  Benning v Montano?  Johnson v Brisley?  Thoughts.?
Like how you've deliberately and conveniently carefully chosen your players for comparison. Shouldn't it be Proctor v Pope, given that Proctor is the only 'Pope like' striker? Also, Johnson v Brisley? That surely should be Jones v Brisley. You've ignored the obvious comparisons that don't suit your purpose as well:

Cass v Mills
Pett/Walker v Joyce
Garrity v Manny/McKirdy
Wilson v Robinson
Jones v Crookes

All the teams we have played so far are currently in the top half.

They have had either very promising - solid starts to the season.

These opening fixtures were known to be tough before the season started.

The team needs to bed in, get settled and the first 11 needs to be established. Can’t do that in 6 games.

The opportunity for growth and development is clear regarding some players, which is a big change from the “this is me until I retire” ceiling of last year.

I’d say we have the manager to turn it around, but that suggests we have started poorly and overall we haven’t. It’s been odd mistakes on the whole rather than being played off the park.

Another top 4 team, with 1 defeat, away from home on Saturday. But it all evens out eventually.

8 minutes ago, 1 said:

All the teams we have played so far are currently in the top half.

They have had either very promising - solid starts to the season.

These opening fixtures were known to be tough before the season started.

The team needs to bed in, get settled and the first 11 needs to be established. Can’t do that in 6 games.

The opportunity for growth and development is clear regarding some players, which is a big change from the “this is me until I retire” ceiling of last year.

I’d say we have the manager to turn it around, but that suggests we have started poorly and overall we haven’t. It’s been odd mistakes on the whole rather than being played off the park.

Another top 4 team, with 1 defeat, away from home on Saturday. But it all evens out eventually.

Rochdale had won 1 in 5 (just saying ) 

I think this is a strong division and Rochdale yesterday were a strong team. I think there were reasons why they got relegated last season, but I thought they looked like a good quality League 1 team once they got into the game. Once they came into the game, the disappointing thing for me was we couldn't just be solid, keep them out and play counter attack. We looked constantly vulnerable in defence and particularly in not stopping crosses, in the air on crosses and goalkeeper not dominating the six yard box. I also accuse the goalie yesterday of just not being in goal. On their third goal he just has to do something more than stand there; rush out, anything!

The tactical changes didn't work and we equalised with a well taken goal that to me came as a surprise. Rodney was ineffective, but to me that was because he kept getting tackled by players from a higher level of football than he has played at. So he has to learn from that. He did frustrate with a scuffed left foot shot in a really good position when he has to blast it properly or pass to a well place colleague. 

Going back to the goalie, it is a compliment they stopped his on the ground distribution throughout the game. But he nonetheless carried on kicking from hand - which is basically lumping it. We surely must play out from the back more in that situation and exploit the fact they have temporarily reduced their outfield players to nine by them marking the keeper. 

I still think we have a good squad. I am ok with the manager. But the reality maybe that this is a very strong League 2; is that a consequence of COVID-19 and its post pandemic impact?

Just seen the highlights back. First up, you’ve got to say there was an element of decent play from them but, crikey we didn’t half help them. Our goals came from us blocking clearances rather than being well-worked.

I’m now convinced that 3-5-2 will not work at home with that personnel. Their first goal underlines this. Benning totally out of position in the centre-circle beaten by a drag-back from their no 10 leaving their RWB that entire side to pick out a plumb cross straight on the head of Beesley who’d peeled off Martin. Also, look at the run the no 10 made after he’d laid the ball off to the RWB, they were doing that all afternoon all over the pitch compared to our very static midfield. 

Clarke needs to get over this reluctance to play 4-3-3. Yes it means we lose Wilson, but Amoo/Rodney and Worrall have goals in them when played higher up the pitch and could support Proctor. Walker then offers some defensive protection.

Archived