onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Rochdale

Fosse69

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Individual errors are hard to legislate for, the same happened on Tuesday with Johnson.  But I thought we were far worse today, I have no idea why we went so flat, but I do think the manager made a mistake with his subs. I think he panicked at half time, we were still in the game and those 2 changes were too early. Rodney and Cass had no impact on the game, both were poor for me and the Walker sub was baffling. Amoo played well on Tuesday and IMO deserved to come on over Rodney.  Worrall was struggling with a knock it seemed so why not bring on Amoo or politic for him? Overall, individual errors and tactical mistakes from Clarke I think cost us dearly. But also let’s not forget that Rochdale are a good side. 

Totally agree about the subs.

Wilson never lasts 60 mins and that is a major problem. He works hard and runs around but if he cannot see out a game now , at the start of a season, then we have a problem. Who is there to replace him ? Think we needed to leave him on longer today. I would bring a wheel chair on for him to use before Rodney is brought on. He is terrible. Seriously we need to find a solution to Wilson being taken off every week. Good partnership there with Proctor even if Proctor has to score all the goals. Wilson did miss a sitter.

If a tactical switch caused Jones to be taken off, why not put him left back and take off Benning. Benning looks poor to me in the games i have seen. As for div 1 clubs after him ? not now. Someone on here said never listen to fans of a previous players club, Oldham / Garrity. Well lets ignore Mansfield fans comments too. Make our own minds up and for me Benning is as bad defensively as Monty was and not as good going forward either.

Back to Rodney. Can all those dozens of fans from last season come back on here and tell me again that he is our next £ million plus sale. I need convincing he is a div 2 footballer first. Shocking performance today and all season so far. Dont forget he is our main striker replacement ?? If he gets another chance that is. Wouldnt be surprised in he spends a while on the bench, at best, now.

Terrific crowd, great expectations, great start. Shame what followed. Do think Clarke tinkers too much with systems / players. Having said that formations mean nothing to me, its how well players play. Back to Martin, Benning, Rodney being poor today. Excellent return by Conlon by the way.

Advert

3 hours ago, connor hackett said:

Disappointing result, good day out though. First proper visit to the fan zone, very enjoyable hope they find a way to expand it and cover it for the winter months. I like the Procter Wilson partnership upfront. I think Wilson is getting some rough reviews, his movement and hold up play is very good, he just needs a goal to top it off now. Devantes appearance was underwhelming to say the least, miles off the pace. Defensive errors let us down today, that's not taking any credit off Rochdale, they looked a decent outfit. Keep the faith valiants, we will get there.

Spot on with all comments. Forgot to mention the fanzone. Brilliant. Hope it is raising good money for the club. Is there any talk of some cover for the winter months. Plenty of kids at the Vale again. Shows priority for ground improvements must be Lorne street Family stand.

1 hour ago, SuperHuman said:

I’d like to know everyone’s opinion on Pett? To me he seems like a good player to have when you’re winning and on top, but second half he was anonymous. 

He is a tidy player and keeps us ticking but he rarely passes forward or breaks the line. Conlon is our only creative midfielder. 

I felt like the Rochdale players passed forward and broke the lines a lot more. 

Exactly my views. Like you say, tidy on the ball but just doesn’t influence the game enough and tbh, I forgot he was on 2nd half. Walker, Garrity and Conlon seems (on paper at least) a much more balanced midfield 3.

33 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

To truly enjoy the highs you have to experience the lows.  That was about the only thing I could tell the kids at the end of the game.  Absolutely gutted at the final whistle, we were footballed off the park.  Say what you want about stats, missed chances, possession, corners etc. I’ve no idea what they say but what I do know is that I watched was an intense, energetic, incisive, clinical performance from today’s opponents, the exact opposite of what we were able to produce.  Talk about after the Lord Mayors show.

We didn't give them a kick for 15 minutes and should have won the game in that period. I thought the loss was much more to do with us and too many players being way off it than it was to do with them. They looked a decent, effective side, but we were abysmal after the initial period. Their big lad up front had Martin on toast. Legge was a huge miss today and with him in the side we don't lose this game.

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Martin didn’t join Accies until November so he was a virtual ever present after he joined. But don’t let the facts get in the way of a good moan. 

The only way to judge him is performances for the Vale. Forget appearances etc etc

Today he was poor. Not too good at Northampton and he was dropped. Replaced by Legge and set to remain on the bench for a while. So far the main failures in recruitment have been the center backs Martin and Johnson. Legge needed to be replaced, we all thought and try we did but so far we have not seen anyone better. Two months might be a long time without Legge

1 minute ago, Beech said:

We didn't give them a kick for 15 minutes and should have won the game in that period. I thought the loss was much more to do with us and too many players being way off it than it was to do with them. They looked a decent, effective side but we were abysmal after the initial period.

Agree with that. I thought both defences were poor but they took their chances and we didn’t. 

2 hours ago, Rockape99 said:

For me not starting Walker with Conlon and Pet was an error as Walker is the defensive rock that enables conlon and Pett to cause havoc. Today conlon got marked out of the game for 60 minutes. Terrible defending.

Agree

Walker, Conlon Pett was my thoughts. Pett did play ok at the back of the three but he is not as solid a defensive player as Walker

I'm more disgusted with Rodney's performance today than anything else. Bad day's at the office happen to every team. It hurts more today because we started the game so well and looked fantastic for 15 or 20 minutes. But Devante was the definition of useless. For someone that's built like a boxer he was getting knocked all over the place which can only come down to a lack of determination and desire on his part. I thought Wilson was largely poor (and missed a sitter) but Rodney was literally a player down from moment he came on. Woeful. I wouldn't even put him on the bench for our game next weekend.

As for Pett, he's a bit powderpuff. Looks tidy when we're on top in games but when you think about it, really doesn't offer all that much either going forward or defensively. He was far from the worse performer today but needs to get himself involved in games more, especially when the other team are on top. 

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Garrity deserved to keep his place he was excellent at Forest Green.

Walker actually didn't shore up the midfield one little bit when he came on . 

Majority were off it including Walker 

He barely kicked the ball. All of ours subs were absolutely toss today - Rodney, Walker and Cass.

47 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

To truly enjoy the highs you have to experience the lows.  That was about the only thing I could tell the kids at the end of the game.  Absolutely gutted at the final whistle, we were footballed off the park.  Say what you want about stats, missed chances, possession, corners etc. I’ve no idea what they say but what I do know is that I watched was an intense, energetic, incisive, clinical performance from today’s opponents, the exact opposite of what we were able to produce.  Talk about after the Lord Mayors show.

I said at 2 - 2 the teams that win these games 3 - 2 go on to finish in the top positions. I agree with you Rochdale were very good. For 25 mins out of 90 we looked very good too but would expect Rochdale to finish higher than us.

Good grief all the doom and gloom moaners are out tonight. Calling for Clarke and Flitcroft to go already? Give your heads a wobble. We are a few games in-how about giving them a proper chance. Or do you want our club to suffer again with another manager and group of players out and in again. 
Saying Carol has fallen for the waffle? Do you think she is naive and weak? May as well say it. How insulating to a credible business person -someone who saved our club from Smurf the clown and not only that, a fan who really cares about the community and our club. 
She has fallen for the waffle. Deserves so much better.

Archived