London Marathon 2021

robf

Hi all,

Advance notice...

the last few months I've been preparing for my second marathon. Thankfully, there have been no injuries (touch wood) and my latest 18 mile training run on Saturday was very much helped by being able to listen to a Vale win.

I didn't get into the main London marathon event but I will compete in the virtual London Marathon (which is recognised and operated by the London Marathon organisers) where I run the same distance but run it where I live rather than the streets of London.

I will be raising money for three charities including a Port Vale related one and I will be running in a custom Vale-themed running top.

Full details and a link to the fundraising page will be published on here, the OVF frontpage and social media tomorrow.

All support will be very welcome and if you have the means to make a donation then it will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Here's a link to my Justgiving page. 

I appreciate any donations if you are in a position to give. Thanks in advance as I know the OVF audience is always so supportive and generous.

For those not in a position to donate (I know times can be hard right now) I'd just like to add that I also really appreciate the kind words of support I get during my fundraisers. 

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, robf said:

Just away from the football, I can't promise as dramatic a finish as today but I will be running 26.2 miles for the Port Vale foundation, Dougie Mac and Rennie Grove hospice on Sunday. 

If you do want to sponsor me the link is - https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rob-fielding-london-marathon-2021

Thanks!

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.23e284fd58deae04d3157a182ef66ae3.jpg

Best of luck! Hopefully the weather is on your side!

• Thanks 1

It's over. New personal best. Many thanks to the good folk of Aylesbury who clapped me on. The page is still open for donations 

with money going to PVFC foundation, Dougie Mac and Rennie Grove.

Without further ado, the post-race sweaty and exhausted photo...

GarminConnect_20211003-181637.jpg.7bf4ee075e7b237b48f6044fdd92e5ec.jpg

• Like 3

Having done quite a few marathons, I would imagine it’s more difficult doing one as a virtual marathon without the race day hype and crowds etc, on the other hand you wouldn’t get carried away and start off too fast, which could be why you got a pb.

my grand daughter got a pb of 12.03. For a 2k park run today, not bad for a 5 year old.

3 hours ago, Lornelounger said:

Great stuff Rob, congratulations - hope you are not too sore this morning.

@Lornelounger I can just about hobble up the stairs and my left ankle's a bit of a mess but I'll manage. I did enjoy a huge Sunday roast after the race yesterday!

13 hours ago, Conrad said:

Having done quite a few marathons, I would imagine it’s more difficult doing one as a virtual marathon without the race day hype and crowds etc, on the other hand you wouldn’t get carried away and start off too fast, which could be why you got a pb.

my grand daughter got a pb of 12.03. For a 2k park run today, not bad for a 5 year old.

@ConradYep, it was strange to do a lot of it in silence but it made you appreciate it more when someone did encourage you (and weirdly it always seemed to be at the exact time I was flagging). My daughter did a tremendous job cycling with me for the last six miles and talking me through it when I was running on empty (pardon the pub).

Well done to your grand daughter - that's a brillant time!

14 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Have you checked to see if you have the record for someone completing the run in a PVFC themed top.

@Playa AmodoresThe marathon app kept giving me trivia around the race. It wasn't too inspiring to know that someone dressed as a postbox did it an hour faster. As I don't think that record exists, I'll claim it until someone can better it!