onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLT G1 Bolton Wanderers v Port Vale

Fosse69

There's definitely some food for thought for DC after that. 

I'm in danger of repeating what has already been said but... for periods of the first-half we were excellent. It was great to see Conlon and Gibbo back. I enjoyed Amoo as a central forward, Rodney looks off the pace but the beauty of this squad is that if he needs a break/rest/wake-up call, there are others who can play ahead of him. Arguably last season he had to play no matter what. 

Garrity was full of energy again and a word for Nathan Smith, sometimes overlooked with all the new boys to concentrate on, who was solid as ever at the back. However, I was most impressed with Lewis Cass who looks a real find.

Plenty of positives and few negatives. Stone looked a little shaky at times (only occasionally though, he was generally solid), Johnson was slow at times (but he has missed a lot of pre-season and that may be fixed when he is matchfit) and it just wasn't happening for Rodney. There wasn't really enough time for Taylor and Lloyd to show much but good to see them get some minutes.

However, I would say the pluses far outweigh the negatives. I think the performance of Cass could see him get a regular place in the back three while Gibbo's return arguably puts a little pressure on Wozza, something I don't think any of us would have predicted but shows some really encouraging squad depth.

Advert

43 minutes ago, robf said:

There's definitely some food for thought for DC after that. 

I'm in danger of repeating what has already been said but... for periods of the first-half we were excellent. It was great to see Conlon and Gibbo back. I enjoyed Amoo as a central forward, Rodney looks off the pace but the beauty of this squad is that if he needs a break/rest/wake-up call, there are others who can play ahead of him. Arguably last season he had to play no matter what. 

Garrity was full of energy again and a word for Nathan Smith, sometimes overlooked with all the new boys to concentrate on, who was solid as ever at the back. However, I was most impressed with Lewis Cass who looks a real find.

Plenty of positives and few negatives. Stone looked a little shaky at times (only occasionally though, he was generally solid), Johnson was slow at times (but he has missed a lot of pre-season and that may be fixed when he is matchfit) and it just wasn't happening for Rodney. There wasn't really enough time for Taylor and Lloyd to show much but good to see them get some minutes.

However, I would say the pluses far outweigh the negatives. I think the performance of Cass could see him get a regular place in the back three while Gibbo's return arguably puts a little pressure on Wozza, something I don't think any of us would have predicted but shows some really encouraging squad depth.

rodney and johnson need another yard of pace! johnson looks a bit weighty.😚

4 minutes ago, geoff1 said:

rodney and johnson need another yard of pace! johnson looks a bit weighty.😚

Yes, I wonder if it's the result of missing that slab of pre-season and perhaps the effects of the long season he had? I do think that pre-season training is so important. It's going back a bit but I remember when Doug Loft missed the pre-season when he first arrived and was the target of the boo boys for some below par performances. He then had a full summer the next season and really kicked on. Johnson's still relatively young so it's a long term thing - it may even be next season before he comes into his own. I guess when you bring in over a dozen new arrivals not every player is going to start brilliantly either.

1 hour ago, Properman said:

Just seen the highlights, for the first goal the only thing missing for Johnson was horse and cart. He is no better than brisley, we will see. We have had 7 games and won 1, I hope we get it right soon.

And we have had 5 league games and lost one.  Statistics are such a bugger aren't they.

2 hours ago, Properman said:

Just seen the highlights, for the first goal the only thing missing for Johnson was horse and cart. He is no better than brisley, we will see. We have had 7 games and won 1, I hope we get it right soon.

He's a very different player to Brisley.

Good on the ball, overlaps!, good in the air, strong.

He fell asleep for the goal, but otherwise performed very well imo, even though playing in a three who haven't played together much, if at all.

He didn't hide after the mistake either.

My overall impression of a team that barely resembled the FGR side was very favourable.

Lots of pressing, energy, incision and possession.

All, without exception, looked good, and it's such a bonus to have three returning from injury.

A very useful game to have had 

"A very useful game to have had."

Gibbons and Conlon got valuable game time and should be fully first team fit in a fortnight and Taylor back on the pitch but probably a month away from full first team fitness but it is best not to rush players back only to get a set back.

Benning is getting up to speed and Cass is brilliant and like Jones is something of a find but once again Garrity "one step beyond" such energy and workrate which I think George Lloyd knew my father also brings......just a thought about Johnson who played well but made one mistake early doors but still played well and teams that play out from the back will at times get caught....how many times does our high press force errors and get the ball back in dangerous areas.....at the end of the day Johnson wasn't the last man was wide on the touch line near the half way line and there should have been two central defenders covering....anyway for the reserves almost against the league above very impressive work out.........

"A very useful game to have had."

What impressed me was the movement of the team. It’s clearly something we’ve been working on, when Gibbo or Benning moved inside of the wings we saw Johnson and cass getting around them out wide, which adds another dimension to our attacking play. Players rotating positions like that is not something we’re used to seeing. Conlon looked to have a free role and was popping up everywhere. Garritty  and Pett were covering defensive and attacking positions, again were not used to “holding” midfielders doing that for us. Amoo at centre forward could be a genius of an idea, he’s a handful and quick and strong. But not only that we have options in so many areas of the pitch. It was clear after the first subs were made that we dipped a bit, so credit to Conlon and Gibbo for looking like their lay offs havent affected their fitness or sharpness too much. I thought stones kicking was his strong point last night. Loads of positives to take from the game and I came away feeling more confident for the season with this squad. 

9 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I didn't want to bop you I just wanted to watch!

Sting is not convinced that a Port Valer of your standing should be encouraging this sort of behaviour. 

It may do you some good to chill out, calm down and have a smoke with Sting. Relax and unwind.

Let your soul be your pilot.

9 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I didn't want to bop you I just wanted to watch!

Good evening Jacko,

One hopes that you are doing well on what is a fine first evening of September to say the least.

When at sea on one's reasonably sized fishing vessel, many a fight is had on deck, as the waves can be a cruel mistress that can mess with a man's mind. 

One is therefore extremely disappointed that such a fine member of the general public like yourself would advocate violence.

All the best,

Jeff.

Has anyone ever seen Jeff and Sting in the same room?!
No, but I once had a friend called Jeff who whilst skinny dipping near Blackpool pier got stung on his testicles. He was later put on the sex offenders register for taking selfies of himself posing with his swollen plums at Charnock richard services. A cautionary tale which is probably no help whatsoever with your question. Apologies.

Archived