onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Sentinel is a Joke

ELDERBEZZA

5 hours ago, geoff1 said:

what is the point of them being a local paper absolute rubbish coverage-no excuses😖

But as Rob has pointed out the Sentinel is no longer an independent local newspaper. It is a small arm of Reach Plc which now controls local papers all over the country. The Newcastle Chronicle is also run by Reach. It is a fact of life that local newspapers  in their original format are a thing of the past. Folk simply stopped buying them and circulation plummeted. They were no long economic propositions hence the takeovers.

The Newcastle Chronicle has the same appallingly designed website as the Sentinel. It is not the responsibility of our local reporters - it’s the big guys at Reach. 

Advert

33 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

The Newcastle Chronicle has the same appallingly designed website as the Sentinel. It is not the responsibility of our local reporters - it’s the big guys at Reach. 

And to add to the list of culprits - the likes of Google who have cornered the online advert market and take huge cuts of the revenue which makes it really difficult for these companies to make any money online. Plus the rise of social media and (to be completely fair) forums like this which mean that the newspapers don't become the first/only source of news -  again reducing their traffic and revenue. 

After all, the newspapers are not doing this for free, they need to make money but if the adverts are paying a pittance the companies then have to make cuts (such as losing staff or getting them to do multiple roles) which in turn reduces the quality of the output. It's a vicious circle.

I would add that I would be very happy to have a newspaper like the Sentinel (even as it is now) where I live. The Bucks Herald has been cut to the bare bones and seem to staffed by one or two office juniors As a result, we get no local news coverage here at all - we're lucky if it gets 2/3 local news stories a week and certainly no breaking news coverage. If there's a major event, traffic works or controversy (we're having something called HS2 quickly ploughing up our fields and clogging the roads at the moment) we have to rely purely on social media to know what is happening. 

We don't even have a local radio station as our local independent station was recently swallowed up by Greatest Hits. The only "local" BBC station is BBC Beds, Bucks and Herts - a huge area of which Aylesbury barely gets a mention.

So, while it's not great at the moment, sadly, there's the possibility of local news getting even worse like it is here in Aylesbury. In many ways, Stoke is lucky that it still has a city radio station and newspaper and they haven't both been amalgamated into some "West Midlands" regional versions. 

4 hours ago, joker1968 said:

The Sentinel coverage online of The Vale is shameful,pitiful a complete joke and i have only contempt for this so called "local newspaper".The Port Vale page has not been updated since Sunday.No mention of the new signing on Monday,nothing either before or after the Carlisle game,infact i bet we got better coverage in the Carlisle Chronicle.Meanwhile i dare say the other lot down at the Incinerator Stadium are billowing out with news.Radio sjoke also have only limited coverage.I wish i had the means and knowhow to provide aternative competition,i no longer purchase this poor publication and only listen to the radio after matches to listen to the call ins.

Vale For Ever!!

Even the ratio in which RS do the calls is a massive imbalance.They give Stoke much more air time on P&G after the match.They have done so for years.Last Saturday P&G was about 1/2 hour in before any significant mention about Vale.The show is a 1 hour show (but 1/2 an hour before Vale mentioned.That first half hour of Stoke coverage didnt even include the post match interview with their manager

Tuesday night

Stoke v Swansea on FM.

Oxford v Crewe  on DAB

Vale v Carlisle on Freeview.

OK I know Vale were the only home team of the 3 teams.I can see a reasoning why this match was put on Freeview.So by that logic next time all 3 play and Stoke are the only home team.Vale & Crewe are playing away.Then it stands to reason that the Stoke game will be moved to Freeview Will that happen?? I doubt it lets wait and see.Was it Bryn last season the Stoke fan that was on week after week.He himself has probably had more air time himself on Radio Stoke that all Vale the fans who managed to get a call through then be lucky enough to get the return call from Radio Stoke

What is our 'Director of communications officer' (Martin Tideswell) doing about the bias Radio Stoke coverage? He should be on the case.Asking them questions.asking them to justify themselves and explain why P&G is 70%+ about Stoke City.

I've given up on The Sentinel. I removed it from my reading favourites.. waste of time.

I don't understand the complaints about Radio Stoke though. Yes the programming is weighted heavily towards Stoke but at least they report what's going on around the club. I really don't know what people expect - its all about listening figures and even the most ardent Vale fan would have to admit there are lot more Stoke fans in the North Stafforshire and surrounding areas.

59 minutes ago, MBE said:

I've given up on The Sentinel. I removed it from my reading favourites.. waste of time.

I don't understand the complaints about Radio Stoke though. Yes the programming is weighted heavily towards Stoke but at least they report what's going on around the club. I really don't know what people expect - its all about listening figures and even the most ardent Vale fan would have to admit there are lot more Stoke fans in the North Stafforshire and surrounding areas.

There always will be more Stoke fans so long as the publicity is weighted in their favour. Even back in the 90’s when we were in a higher league the local radio and press favoured them. There’s a lot to shout about at Vale, especially in relation to the good work in the community initiated by Carol, the new fanzone along with the updating of the ground. Hopefully within a short space of time we will have a team to shout about but I doubt the Sentinel will hear it. Ah well.

7 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

But as Rob has pointed out the Sentinel is no longer an independent local newspaper. It is a small arm of Reach Plc which now controls local papers all over the country. The Newcastle Chronicle is also run by Reach. It is a fact of life that local newspapers  in their original format are a thing of the past. Folk simply stopped buying them and circulation plummeted. They were no long economic propositions hence the takeovers.

I really have little liking of the world we live in anymore, financial motive is king. Used to love the Green un,it was my job to take a copy into The Albert on a Saturday evening  when I lived in Newcastle in the 90s and talk about results with a few of us Vale and a lot more Stokies. Things have changed with a loss of regional identity. Thank my lucky stars I was born when I was,1961,lived through the most interesting of times.

Did we play in the week, as the last thing on line is the Dan Jones story.  We also had a player come in on loan as well. Did we dream these two things happening this week? 😴

Thank goodness for this site to bring some news about Vale and facebook sites on the Vale.

Senile only seems to concentrate on one team now - have they fell out of love with Vale and our great owners.  Bet if the owners did something wrong they would be all over them and reporting silly stuff like all good journalists seem to do now.

On a wider note, I don't really understand the radio restrictions in place at 3pm on Saturday. The ones which only allow broadcasting in the local area. What is that preventing?

If it's the same principle as the stream blackout from 3pm on Saturdays (i.e. trying to stop people staying at home and watching it there) then it's the wrong way around.

Technically, shouldn't it be locally-based supporters who can't get the commentary so as to encourage them to turn up to the games? (that wouldn't be popular but it's actually more rational). Right now people in the local area who CAN get to the ground get the option of listening to the commentary for free on Radio Stoke. People outside of the area who have much less chance of popping along to the game (e.g. it's a long trip from Cornwall) are blocked from listening to free commentary. Their only option is the increasingly flaky audio stream on IFollow which costs a monthly/annual fee.

Clearly Radio Stoke doesn't have enough frequencies to cover three teams but if they were allowed to have commentary streaming (e.g. the BBC pages for Stoke, Port Vale and Crewe and on the iFollow app if you're mobile) that would get around that frequencies problem and also open up the commentaries for everyone around the country. It's also moving with the times as things increasing go online rather than via radio broadcasts (the problem RS have now is the switching off of MW - how long before FM goes too). 

I can't see it affecting the Vale attendances (as I've stated it's already available for free in the local area anyhow) but surely just allowing it FOC for the rest of the country/globe is a better idea than hiding it behind a paywall. That paywall is going to put newer/more casual fans off and the money the club earns from this paywall is bound to be fairly minimal. Isn't it better to have it for free and try and grow the fanbase by allowing anyone to listen, wherever they are? The fans you develop through the free stream would probably bring in more money over their lifetime then the paywall revenue anyhow. 

Commentary is never as good as being there so I can't see it having that much of an effect on attendances either. 

However, this isn't a Vale thing they can do by themselves as broadcasting is decided en masse by the entire EFL at their meetings so all the clubs would need to agree to it.

I hope that they do because, as I say, it's the wrong way around at the moment.

Contractual reasons. Commentary online is a paid service via EFL / ifollow. The BBC does a syndicated programme from Salford called Squad Goals now for local radio stations to put online instead of just a placeholder message saying we cannot bring you your programme etc…

Archived