Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

9 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

It's what Vale fans do . 

Always a Scapegoat , Dodds was the biggest victim on here with some disgraceful comments. 

Wilson is not setting the world on fire that's for sure but barracking him or the keeper is counter productive. 

Conlon was sat in our end with Hurst and had the boot on as others have said. 

Without him the midfield is starved of any goal threat or creativity. 

I thought Wilson did well second half and was unlucky not to score when he hit that cross from the left first time.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

With Amoo and now Politic in the squad there's no real reason we shouldn't be playing with two wide players, especially at home. I'd also rather see us play with 1 up top than this 5-3-2 formation, which allows us to keep a midfield three which Clarke seems to love.

Covolan/Stone

Smith (Gibbons when fit)

Legge/Martin

Cass

Jones

Worrall

Walker

Pett

Garrity (Conlon when fit)

Politic/Amoo

Rodney/Proctor

Edited by Beech

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

First half Clarke either got it completely wrong or the players didn’t adapt to the system.  

So if it got it so wrong why not change it early doors instead of giving Stevenage the impetus 

If your the manager and can see that on a whole we are and were in that first half crap you do not leave it till half time you change it immediately 

So judging by the change Johnson was very poor and Garritys tremendousis that so ?

is DC going get credit for Port Vales better second half performance as to me that's encouraging playing crap then turning it round and folk saying we could have won it shows we have better players than folk realise and we are generally finishing games well because of extra fitness 

When people actually cross the ball into the box, Wilson and Rodney look dangerous. Could have got a few between them as DC said. That comes from the formation, the form and the players. If they could pick the ball up in midfield and turn, take on some players and score, they wouldn’t be coming here on free transfers. Play simple, play wide, get the ball into the box. Man for man I think we have more quality than most teams, so don’t over-complicate it

• Like 3

Having just seen a replay of their goal it confirmed what was wondering at the time, what the hell was that wall playing at? Very disappointing that.

It’s a shame Covolan had that moment of craziness at the end of the half as people are talking about that rather than a pretty decent performance otherwise. Cass was fantastic and he simply must start now going forward. We definitely can’t afford another half like the first one at FGR as they will tear us to shreds.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I thought Wilson did well second half and was unlucky not to score when he hit that cross from the left first time.

Yes and he’ll still get 10+ knocking them in for the rest of the season.

1 minute ago, Guppys left peg said:

Having just seen a replay of their goal it confirmed what was wondering at the time, what the hell was that wall playing at? Very disappointing that.

It’s a shame Covolan had that moment of craziness at the end of the half as people are talking about that rather than a pretty decent performance otherwise. Cass was fantastic and he simply must start now going forward. We definitely can’t afford another half like the first one at FGR as they will tear us to shreds.

The top two will stretch away and be beyond us catching up. So we need to win at FG next week. It's time to turn robust defence and good chance creation into a significant result. 

• Like 1

Just now, jeffers said:

Not having gone to the game, what was Legge’s problem

He was clattered by a bloke who had been fouled.  He had to go off the pitch and they scored from the free kick.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

So if it got it so wrong why not change it early doors instead of giving Stevenage the impetus 

If your the manager and can see that on a whole we are and were in that first half crap you do not leave it till half time you change it immediately 

So judging by the change Johnson was very poor and Garritys tremendousis that so ?

is DC going get credit for Port Vales better second half performance as to me that's encouraging playing crap then turning it round and folk saying we could have won it shows we have better players than folk realise and we are generally finishing games well because of extra fitness 

Are you p1ssed up?

“I need to analyse why we performed so badly because I had done my job right. The shape was right, but for me it looked like a lot of basic, very poor errors.”

I am not slagging the guy off but this sort of arrogance reminds me of Gannon. From what I read, a number of fans would disagree with HIS choice of formation.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, jeffers said:

“I need to analyse why we performed so badly because I had done my job right. The shape was right, but for me it looked like a lot of basic, very poor errors.”

I am not slagging the guy off but this sort of arrogance reminds me of Gannon. From what I read, a number of fans would disagree with HIS choice of formation.

But, but, he did everything right. And, and, it wasn't his fault. 

• Like 1

The top two will stretch away and be beyond us catching up. So we need to win at FG next week. It's time to turn robust defence and good chance creation into a significant result. 
Have I read this right? If we lose next Saturday, our 5th game, we cannot possibly catch up with the top 2 in the next 41 games?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, werstayinup said:

Your good self along with Tjh and RZ have been very anti DC from the off,very vocal when he came,very quiet during that 9 game spell last season and now vocal again....should we sack him? serious question,if so then i look forward to us turning into Salford and having 4 managers a season.

Today especially first half was a shocker but i really enjoyed the sunderland and tranmere games and to some extent the carlisle one when we created a lot of chances in all 3,just lacked that killer instinct imo

If you look at what I've said, I can't stand his BS and I've not believed a word of it since he arrived.

I don't want him sacked. I want him to succeed!!!!

I'd just like him to have some class and not treat us like idiots.

• Like 2

Don’t know why some people are hitting the panic button already. We’ve basically rebuilt our entire squad, it’s going to take time. There’s promising signs with our good defensive record, and we’ve played quite well and just been unlucky. And as others have said, it doesn’t help players to be abusing them in the ground.

• Like 2