Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

8 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Isn't there an arrogance in suggesting that thousands of inexperienced fans can see "the problem"...but not the experienced Manager and Coaching staff? 

Although the fans have probably little or no coaching experience a good number have been watching lower league football for near on fifty years. So not exactly inexperienced. They do have some idea.

• Like 4

Advert:

1 hour ago, Biddulph_PV said:

One goal in four league games perhaps?? Conceding the lions share of possession and chances? Very few of our chances actually resulting in shots on target? Most of the chances coming from picking up ‘bits and pieces’ rather than being a carefully constructed move? Absolutely no threat so far off set-pieces (can’t comment on today).

One goal is not good enough but your point was we are boring and I can't see how we have been boring. Certainly set pieces need a lot of work but we have created chances today through good play. We switched the play really well today 2nd half which caused them lots of problems.

9 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Isn't there an arrogance in suggesting that thousands of inexperienced fans can see "the problem"...but not the experienced Manager and Coaching staff? 

Not really. I’d like to think that ppl who post on here all have PVFC best intentions at heart and they’ll still be here when DC either leaves for a bigger club or is sacked. I see Worrall being ran up and down that right wing covering all the positions down that side. I’d rather he conserves his energy to use when in his best position with ball at his feet. I thought we’d purchased Benning to play at left back. Before we’d got him fans were saying he’ll go to a L1 club as he’s good enough at that level. The bloke looks lost playing left midfield, he’s probably better playing the way that he’s facing not having to play both ways. Benning is an excellent passer of the ball and is more than capable over going on an overlap. No I’ve never managed a football team or taken any coaching badges but I have played the game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, worldsendvalefan said:

Although the fans have probably little or no coaching experience a good number have been watching lower league football for near on fifty years. So not exactly inexperienced. They do have some idea.

Watching isn't experience! They may see some an overview of things but be unaware of the quirks and eccentricities of actually coaching players who all have different attitudes and mindsets; of who is training well and who can play with knocks and twinges, and who can't? I would say it's obvious we need to start with Proctor up front, partnering either Rodders or Wilson, then swap those 2 over with 20-25 mins to go...fresh legs and all that. But I wouldn't expect DC to do that just because it's my opinion!

Advert:

Aint watched it today but that's 3 points more than what we had got in corresponding fixtures last year. 

Second half much better again have we a sloppy attitude to the first 45 .

Never play well at Stevenage so happy they got  bit of pride back with second half display. 

38 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Can anyone remember when was the last time we made a substitution and he won the game for us?

Seems to me plenty have done it against us, but can't remember last time it worked for us.

In fairness Clarke made changes which swung the game in our favour. Garrity coming on, change in formation, Proctor coming on, all made a positive difference.

First half Clarke either got it completely wrong or the players didn’t adapt to the system.  Probably both from what I watched.

The first 11 is still pretty fluid, the jury is very much still out on one or two of the signings. Until we get some consistent performances we’ll have to accept changes in personnel and formation as Clarke tries to find a winning formula.  Still early days.

• Like 5

Advert:

Stone

Cass Smith Martin Benning

Woz Pett Conlon Jones

Proctor Rodney

though changing the formation and players every 2 seconds doesn’t help with being comfortable and settled.

I’m not worried at all about the back line. Slightly by Cov but he’s still adjusting and I think he is listening. He made some great stops today. Although I would give Stone a go I think both would thrive, mainly because the back line is solid and has players just as good on the bench.

Its the attacking threat where we are lacking. But Conlon, Politic, players positioned correctly going forward will help with that.

The small pitch was not our friend today, was it even within the guidelines as it was tiny and designed for 5 a side??

Pett, Walker, Benning, Wilson, come on lads!

5 hours ago, Lornelounger said:

Some of the comments on here about Wilson are laughable. He just needs encouragement. Why slag him off if he is one of ours? He is clearly a fine player, but just not firing - calling him gash isn't going to do much for his self esteem is it? Get behind him.

It's what Vale fans do . 

Always a Scapegoat , Dodds was the biggest victim on here with some disgraceful comments. 

Wilson is not setting the world on fire that's for sure but barracking him or the keeper is counter productive. 

Conlon was sat in our end with Hurst and had the boot on as others have said. 

Without him the midfield is starved of any goal threat or creativity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

It's what Vale fans do . 

Always a Scapegoat , Dodds was the biggest victim on here with some disgraceful comments. 

Wilson is not setting the world on fire that's for sure but barracking him or the keeper is counter productive. 

Conlon was sat in our end with Hurst and had the boot on as others have said. 

Without him the midfield is starved of any goal threat or creativity. 

I thought Wilson did well second half and was unlucky not to score when he hit that cross from the left first time.

• Like 3

Advert:

With Amoo and now Politic in the squad there's no real reason we shouldn't be playing with two wide players, especially at home. I'd also rather see us play with 1 up top than this 5-3-2 formation, which allows us to keep a midfield three which Clarke seems to love.

Covolan/Stone

Smith (Gibbons when fit)

Legge/Martin

Cass

Jones

Worrall

Walker

Pett

Garrity (Conlon when fit)

Politic/Amoo

Rodney/Proctor

Edited by Beech

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

First half Clarke either got it completely wrong or the players didn’t adapt to the system.  

So if it got it so wrong why not change it early doors instead of giving Stevenage the impetus 

If your the manager and can see that on a whole we are and were in that first half crap you do not leave it till half time you change it immediately 

So judging by the change Johnson was very poor and Garritys tremendousis that so ?

is DC going get credit for Port Vales better second half performance as to me that's encouraging playing crap then turning it round and folk saying we could have won it shows we have better players than folk realise and we are generally finishing games well because of extra fitness