Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

We've had a tough start to the season, and if we had played a Walsall or Oldham we would have more points in the bag. Next week looks tricky, but FGR do concede a few, and hopefully DC will realise that his starting formation today just doesnt work.

9 minutes ago, Emile said:

Another point on the board and didn't loose away despite a terrible first half. I'll take it. 

Seems we've been given some tough games to start the season with FGR next and then a pretty good going Swindon team after 

I don't think we've played a team so far that wasn't in the top 7 when we've played them.

• Haha 3

We've had a tough start to the season, and if we had played a Walsall or Oldham we would have more points in the bag. Next week looks tricky, but FGR do concede a few, and hopefully DC will realise that his starting formation today just doesnt work.
Wasn't it 343 at the start, which many, including myself, have been suggesting to get Worrall further up the field? Didn't look great today, but may against another with 1 less player in the centre

2nd half was much better, even Covolan managed not to stuff up for a whole half! Oddly we kept trying to get the ball in via crosses, yet Stevenage have tall Centre halves making you wonder why we were not trying to play through the middle more often. 

Not brilliant, but we were the better side in the 2nd half. 

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:
6 minutes ago, mikey said:

Wasn't it 343 at the start, which many, including myself, have been suggesting to get Worrall further up the field? Didn't look great today, but may against another with 1 less player in the centre

Most just wanted a flat back 4. There was definitely more than 3 defenders that started the game today. Just go 433 or 4321. We don’t need 5 defenders

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikey said:

We need to start next week as we played in the 2nd half and continue at that level all through the match. If not FGR could bury us by halftime. We look short of goals so important next week to get ahead in the game. We need that confidence that going ahead gives you.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mikey said:

Tranmere lost at home and Northampton thumped at home by Rochdale 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

On balance over the two halves the right result.

Smith was superb, battled for everything, Cass played well, Worrall as always everywhere on the pitch.

It's early days but none of the new signings look any better or look an upgrade on the better players who were already at the Vale, I'm thinking the likes of Conlon, Worrall, Legge, Smith, Rodney. The one possible exception being Dan Jones.

If Vale were to become promotion contenders this season then players better than the better players we already had needed to be signed.

Hopefully Politic will do the business and the new striker reputed to be signing kicks starts the goal scoring and even more hopefully DC will play 4 at the back.

Edited by Paul6754

9 minutes ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

He was getting pelters on the radio from Phil Sproson.

Is if you say there is 'sustained' abuse, like you say, that is shocking.

I can understand a 'wtf are you doing' outburst, but anything sustained and personal is 100 percent counter productive.

It died off because he made some useful saves but there was a spell where the swearing and “get him <ovf censored> off” comments were clearly clearly getting under his skin and he went on to make silly errors immediately after. 

I’ll hold my hand up and say I gave him some but I tried to make it more constructive than personal and attacking him because I could tell that he was panicking. Case in point clapping the fans at the end but staying well back. 

Just stop trying to dribble and just boot it first time Lucas ffs. Thats what the root issue is, overplaying. Just stop. 

• Like 1

Not particularly buzzing with Clarke’s comments, implying there was nothing wrong with the first half formation, it was just the performance.

No DC, you set up to get overrun through the centre. I an amateur webmong recognised it would happen with one glance at their team last week. You have a UEFA Pro license. 

• Like 2

Wilson is devoid of confidence atm. He gets a couple of half chances a game if he's lucky. He works his socks off but he needs more from his team mates to play him in. Its always been a problem in recent seasons with Vale and everyone just points the finger at he's <ovf censored>.
Playing as a forward for Vale must be one of the most frustrating jobs in the world