Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

17 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Sorry Tony, you need to explain how the data I posted was manipulated. The analysis was accurate (all the data are correct), consistent (taken from the same four year period for each player) and comprehensive (covering all the players you mentioned). So how is that manipulation?

What would be selective would be to present data from a single season, or an observation from a single game, and try to draw some logical conclusion from it.

What the data show is that, over the most recent seasons, none of those players has a record of prolific goalscoring. Which was my original point.

Let's hope it starts to change tomorrow.

Sorry Cambridge - the remark about statistics was meant to be a general one, rather than specific to your post. I probably didn't phrase it properly? My point was that players like Worrall and Conlon don't score many goals - but they provide the assists for others! I appreciate data derived from a small sample is much more easily manipulated- as has been seem from other posters who have been extremely selective! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Lornelounger said:

Some of the comments on here about Wilson are laughable. He just needs encouragement. Why slag him off if he is one of ours? He is clearly a fine player, but just not firing - calling him gash isn't going to do much for his self esteem is it? Get behind him.

So far he has been gash, especially considering his apparent ability. That certainly doesn't mean he will continue to be crap though. Why is it okay to praise players when they deserve it but if you mention poor performances it's frowned upon.

If he starts to play well and score the odd goal he'll rightly be praised for it. Like with anything in life you take both the rough and the smooth. I suppose in your eyes nobody should also be concerned with the first half performance?

Edited by Beech
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lornelounger said:

Some of the comments on here about Wilson are laughable. He just needs encouragement. Why slag him off if he is one of ours? He is clearly a fine player, but just not firing - calling him gash isn't going to do much for his self esteem is it? Get behind him.

He isn’t clearly fine. He looks clumsy, makes Theo Robinson look clinical and has missed several sitters. His first touch isn’t good enough either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beech said:

So far he has been gash, especially considering his apparent ability. That certainly doesn't mean he will continue to be crap though. Why is it okay to praise players when they deserve it but if you mention poor performances it's frowned upon.

If he starts to play well and score the odd goal he'll rightly be praised for it. Like with anything in life you take both the rough and the smooth.

So the comment "Wilson is garbage" was just for the first 45 minutes then, not for his overall quality of the player?  Good of you to specify that.  Not frowning on, just wish you would be a bit more positive about a Vale player who is clearly struggling.  Slagging him off obviously does it for you, but it isn't the way forward. As I said, get behind him - it might work.

• Like 2

Just now, Lornelounger said:

So the comment "Wilson is garbage" was just for the first 45 minutes then, not for his overall quality of the player?  Good of you to specify that.  Not frowning on, just wish you would be a bit more positive about a Vale player who is clearly struggling.  Slagging him off obviously does it for you, but it isn't the way forward. As I said, get behind him - it might work.

"Slagging him off". Exactly my point. You're one of them that clearly never criticises a player or a team no matter how poorly them perform. You do you. But if a player is playing rubbish and offering little I'll say so. It's just an opinion.

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, Beech said:

"Slagging him off". Exactly my point. You're one of them that clearly never criticises a player or a team no matter how poorly them perform. You do you. But if a player is playing rubbish and offering little I'll say so. It's just an opinion.

I criticise players when I think they are hiding or robbing a wage.  Wilson is neither of those. Good of you to say "you do you" though Beech, I'll look that one up to see if I can surmise what the foggiest you are on about. It's just an opinion.

Edited by Lornelounger