onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

10 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Really??? I can see positive signs as well as the negative ones that ought to be expected from such a clearing out of deadwood, and the recruitment of players, mostly an improvement on the ones they've replaced? Only a total numpty would be thinking of a change this early on?...actually - I can think of a couple who would!

I'm not thinking of a change. I want a change in attitude from the man in charge. He's currently repeating the same mistakes because of his ego. As a fan, that's frustrating. 

Advert

So, they are getting the job done? This is a very poor league, you know. 
It's a very poor league in which we have been extremely poor for years. It's probably going to take a few years to turn us around and make us successful. I don't subscribe to this we are to big for this division just because we have a big stadium doesn't mean we're a big club. As much as we want success now unfortunately it's going to take time I'm not happy with the way we are playing even though we have far better players than last year and I'm not convinced by Clarke but I'm prepared to give him time to see what he can do and not write him off after 6 months

8 hours ago, dishydave said:

It's a very poor league in which we have been extremely poor for years. It's probably going to take a few years to turn us around and make us successful. I don't subscribe to this we are to big for this division just because we have a big stadium doesn't mean we're a big club. As much as we want success now unfortunately it's going to take time I'm not happy with the way we are playing even though we have far better players than last year and I'm not convinced by Clarke but I'm prepared to give him time to see what he can do and not write him off after 6 months

Vale have not been extremely poor for years. In the 2019/20 season Vale were the form team in Feb/March 2020 and if it were not for Covid it's odds on Vale would have made the play-offs if not better. If the ref in the last game of that season had some balls Vale would have likely beaten Cheltenham and ended up in the play-off places despite the early finish. Vale played some tremendous football that season as good as anything since the promo season.

In the 2020/21 season Vale were something like 4th in November playing some great football and then for whatever reason the lights went out.

One happening likely to set back or slow a football club is a mass clear out of the playing staff although there probably are exceptions.

I'm the same Dave, I'm not convinced by Clarke but he should be given time although I would say that from what I've seen so far none of the players recruited this summer looks to be an upgrade on the better players, eg Worrall, Conlon, Legge, Smith etc who were already at Vale (Dan Jones a possible exception).

If vale are to become serious promotion candidates then some better players than those already here need to be recruited. Perhaps Politic and the new striker reputedly being recruited will be those players that make a difference. 

10 hours ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

I'm not thinking of a change. I want a change in attitude from the man in charge. He's currently repeating the same mistakes because of his ego. As a fan, that's frustrating. 

As a different fan, that's confusing? I don't think he's making that many errors. trying to get the best formation together from a new group of players. Must be frustrating for him when one of the best players is unavailable and when people rave about the performances of some players, then they don't perform in the next game? Also, having to wait for, maybe, the last 2 pieces of the jigsaw. I'm not totally sure you want DC to change his attitude - it was blatantly obvious what we were getting last season? If you don't like that, then you really want a new manager!

10 hours ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

So, they are getting the job done? This is a very poor league, you know. 

If you look at the League, properly, last season included, there are some good teams and others that people like to deride who are, actually, improving season after season. It's not a very poor League, as can be seen by the teams that have done well recently, and the results they get in the Cups. If you have to describe this League as very poor, to back up your argument, then you've already lost that argument!

10 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Clarke was wonderful at Bristol Rovers 5 years ago and their fans idolise him, he was poor at Walsall and their fans hate him. Difficult to tell which way round 3 will go, 50:50 phone a friend really...

Or...going on facts...he took us from a team that many on here thought were "definitely relegated" to a team that still had a shout at the play-offs with 2 - 3 games left. Also, a team that almost broke a couple of performance records. Shouldn't have to keep re-stating these facts...but you conveniently forget them when you next post your anti-DC drivel! 

3 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Or...going on facts...he took us from a team that many on here thought were "definitely relegated" to a team that still had a shout at the play-offs with 2 - 3 games left. Also, a team that almost broke a couple of performance records. Shouldn't have to keep re-stating these facts...but you conveniently forget them when you next post your anti-DC drivel! 

We were 16th when Clarke was appointed and ended the season 13th. It was annoying hearing the "he saved us from oblivion" crap with Aspin and Askey. Hope we make some progress this season because I'm sick of hearing about what unbelievable heroics it is keeping this club in League <ovf censored> Two.

4 hours ago, dishydave said:

We had also played 3 games more than the teams below us and won 3 games in about 20. There is no denying he turned us around drastically.

Overall he did a good job last season, perhaps the way players were released could have been done better but I don't think that harmed the club particularly so I'm not that arsed.

He's an experienced manager with a good track record so no matter what happens he should get the full season. We're four games in and I think we'll improve and finish somewhere in the top ten.

I'm just sick of hearing the "he saved us" line. Things were looking pretty bad before Aspin but still manageable. Both Askey and Clarke should have been shot if they couldn't keep us up when they did. I'm sick of hearing it.

10 hours ago, Wrex said:

...I'm just sick of hearing the "he saved us" line...

And I was sick of hearing "we're definitely relegated" and "Clary the Clown is taking us down" - from one o the numerous tossers on my ignored list! Oh yeah - and we finished higher than Walsall, who were higher in the League than us, when he left them!

3 hours ago, LancyTony said:

And I was sick of hearing "we're definitely relegated" and "Clary the Clown is taking us down" - from one o the numerous tossers on my ignored list! Oh yeah - and we finished higher than Walsall, who were higher in the League than us, when he left them!

The clown guy is a weird Stoke fan, so don't worry about him

Archived