onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

15 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Wasn't Tommy Widdrington sent off twice in a matter of minutes?  He got red carded in one game then was sent off in the first minute of his return - at Birmingham?  Or is my memory playing tricks? 

Yep, last day of the 1998–99 season and third game of the 1999–2000 season so there was a three month gap

Advert

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Covolan's first red card was a result of stupidity by the officials and would surely have been rescinded had we bothered to appeal it.  His second was madness but is not a reason for the sort of abuse people like you are directing towards him.  Tell me a goal he's been responsible for so far and I'll give some credibility to your opinions.

He most likely would have been responsible for a 2nd Northampton goal but he was judged to have pulled the guy down and got sent off. What this did was put Vale further on the back foot chasing a 1-0 deficit so the sending off did come with a cost.

On Saturday early in the first half  his left foot clearance was awful resulting in Stevenage being in on goal and their guy hit the bar. There was also the incident from a goal kick where all the players were lined up on Vale's right and Covolan smother hooked the ball to the left, it was like watching a schoolboy. I won't go into the situation where he thought he was Gerson and was nearly dispossesed in the penalty area.

Yep he made some decent saves and claimed some good crosses but there were also a few times he came out for the ball and there was a lack of communication which resulted confusion. 

All these things can be improved and as DC said I'd rather see Covolan put the ball into row Z. As things stand at the moment when the pitches get bobbly it's gonna be fun. A jittery, uncertain goalkeeper translates through the whole team.

14 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

There was also the incident from a goal kick where all the players were lined up on Vale's right and Covolan smother hooked the ball to the left,

Yep he made some decent saves and claimed some good crosses but there were also a few times he came out for the ball and there was a lack of communication which resulted confusion. 

That goal kick was indeed bizarre but was clearly a misskick.  Our keepers have spent a considerable amount of time putting goal kicks into the crowd over recent years.

The lack of communication is almost inevitable at this stage of the season.  It will improve. I've yet to see anything from him that was as bad as Alisson's performance against Man City last season!

It all started going downhill when Cov admitted at training camp he’d never tried an oatcake. He should have just said “yes I have, it was oaty.” That would have bought him a free month of dribbling antics.

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

He most likely would have been responsible for a 2nd Northampton goal but he was judged to have pulled the guy down and got sent off. What this did was put Vale further on the back foot chasing a 1-0 deficit so the sending off did come with a cost.

On Saturday early in the first half  his left foot clearance was awful resulting in Stevenage being in on goal and their guy hit the bar. There was also the incident from a goal kick where all the players were lined up on Vale's right and Covolan smother hooked the ball to the left, it was like watching a schoolboy. I won't go into the situation where he thought he was Gerson and was nearly dispossesed in the penalty area.

All these things can be improved and as DC said I'd rather see Covolan put the ball into row Z. As things stand at the moment when the pitches get bobbly it's gonna be fun. A jittery, uncertain goalkeeper translates through the whole team.

Whilst I agree his clearance was poor , it was straight to Walker who's first touch was appalling. Then they hit the post from that. 

Fact is Vale fans need (and I use that word purposefully because its way more than a want) a boo boy.

It's a seriously weird and strange quirk of English football fans.

You would have thought that providing him with confidence and support would be beneficial to the team, rather than slating him and potentially putting him on edge.

But hey ho.

3 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Fact is Vale fans need (and I use that word purposefully because its way more than a want) a boo boy.

You think so? I don't want to boo anyone. Cov looks a little wound up. Needs to calm down a bit. Then we will see.

On 22/08/2021 at 19:51, LancyTony said:

I'm impressed by the honesty with which they have been addressing the huge task that was necessary, including the shipping out of...most of...the "dead wood"! I couldn't care less if people use buzz words or Klingon as long as they get the job done! Mixed metaphors??? - there are people on here who use mixed languages - do you know what a mixed metaphor is?

Yes, I do. And they aren't getting the job done.

39 minutes ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

Yes, I do. And they aren't getting the job done.

Really??? I can see positive signs as well as the negative ones that ought to be expected from such a clearing out of deadwood, and the recruitment of players, mostly an improvement on the ones they've replaced? Only a total numpty would be thinking of a change this early on?...actually - I can think of a couple who would!

Archived