onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

Hasn’t been responsible for any goals but was responsible for the defeat to Northampton which is bigger. And very nearly responsible for a penalty against Stevenage. All for the same errors. At his age he should know better. It’s a matter of time before he does it again and gets another red card imo. 
How can you say he was the reason we lost against Northampton? We were 1 down with 11 on the pitch and not looking great at that point? 'Very nearly responsible' for giving away a penalty? That's not the same as giving one away is it? If we're blaming players for what could have happened, then are you blaming Worrall for only getting a draw against Carlisle?

Advert

16 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Hasn’t been responsible for any goals but was responsible for the defeat to Northampton which is bigger. And very nearly responsible for a penalty against Stevenage. All for the same errors. At his age he should know better. It’s a matter of time before he does it again and gets another red card imo. 

There were 10 other players who were equally culpable for that defeat at Northampton. 

I think the battering of Covolan is a bit harsh and comparisons to Brown are slightly forgetful...

Brown came walkabout for Walsall's first goal at Vale Park when caught in no mans land, then air kicked a back pass...

Covolan getting a red is it any different to Joyce v Tranmere when 2-0 up to fly in recklessly and cost us the game? 

Equally against Stevenage him bursting out to head a ball clear at one point probably saved a goal as it was going to be one on one so its about balance, he made a mistake unfortunately when keepers make a mistake it usually costs a goal.

He will learn, its the highest level he has played at in England and I am sure will improve, lets not destroy his confidence after 4 games when in fairness he has kept 2 clean sheets in his last three games and not at fault for either goal he conceded.

35 minutes ago, philmpv said:

How can you say he was the reason we lost against Northampton? We were 1 down with 11 on the pitch and not looking great at that point? 'Very nearly responsible' for giving away a penalty? That's not the same as giving one away is it? If we're blaming players for what could have happened, then are you blaming Worrall for only getting a draw against Carlisle?

He got sent off. Which gave us literally no chance of getting back into the game. For me the keeper had a huge part to play in that defeat. That was a penalty imo on Saturday. He needs to learn and fast. It’s a more much important position than a winger, one error costs matches. 
No I wouldn’t solely blame Worrall as there wasn’t one thing that cost us the game. We had quite a lot of chances I thought. 

37 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

There were 10 other players who were equally culpable for that defeat at Northampton. 

Sorry don’t agree at all. None of those other 10 players got themselves sent off. He’s in a key position and shouldn’t be messing around with the ball. 

42 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Agreed, if people want to say he exacerbated our problems by reducing us to ten men fine can go with that but in terms of blame for the defeat I’d start with those who failed to do their job defending on a set piece firstly.

I do think in general some people are being very unfair on Covolan. He actually did a more than decent job for us on Saturday outside of a mad few minutes and frankly was a major reason Stevenage were not out of sight by half time. 

10 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Sorry don’t agree at all. None of those other 10 players got themselves sent off. He’s in a key position and shouldn’t be messing around with the ball. 

Quite agree and I can't understand how anyone can possibly defend a player who was red carded twice in a matter of days.

Cov has conceded 2 in 4.

Stone has conceded 2 in 1.

Bar a few dodgy decisions with the ball at his feet Cov has been virtually a by-stander with the odd competent save or cross thrown in.

At lot of other players have made more dodgy decisions with the ball at their feet but get away without criticism that lasts days.

25 minutes ago, 1 said:

Cov has conceded 2 in 4.

Stone has conceded 2 in 1.

Bar a few dodgy decisions with the ball at his feet Cov has been virtually a by-stander with the odd competent save or cross thrown in.

At lot of other players have made more dodgy decisions with the ball at their feet but get away without criticism that lasts days.

100% agree with this. 

44 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Do you think we would have won that game without the sending off?

At the moment he has a slight weakness. As a massive Brown fan (who wanted him to stay), I'd say Lucas' confidence in commanding his area makes up for his 'going walkabout'. It's certainly an easier thing to fix and will cost fewer goals.

We all knew we were getting a character. Hence he was the overwhelming choice for sponsorship on here . 

I don't think he cost us the game at Northampton. It's only a couple of years ago Legge was sent off there at 1-0 down and we came back to win. It certainly didn't help but in general we huffed and puffed a lot. 

Saturday he made some excellent saves and had his moment of madness which he luckily got away with. We will have to cut him some slack, he's not going to improve with people with foghorns for mouths slinging abuse his way as happened on Saturday. Potentially one big mistake from losing his place, up to him to get his mind in gear now .

Brown was an excellent keeper for us but again his time had possibly come. 

Walsall in particular and also the last game against Mansfield were particularly bad.  In fact the Walsall game there were two horrendous mistakes, I think just after he'd been mouthing off about the recruitment ? 

Great keeper but as with him who I won't mention, his time had come . 

I know hearts are in mouths but let's not kill the blokes career dead yet. Suddenly gone from cult hero to the devil incarnate. 

I think he'll get through this. Hopefully I aren't eating humble pie. 

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

But a couple of them were in dereliction of duty when it came to marking their scorer?  And how about the chance Wilson missed from under the bar - surely he was in a key position and should have been putting the ball in the net?

1 hour ago, jimbo57 said:

Quite agree and I can't understand how anyone can possibly defend a player who was red carded twice in a matter of days.

Wasn't Tommy Widdrington sent off twice in a matter of minutes?  He got red carded in one game then was sent off in the first minute of his return - at Birmingham?  Or is my memory playing tricks? 

Covolan's first red card was a result of stupidity by the officials and would surely have been rescinded had we bothered to appeal it.  His second was madness but is not a reason for the sort of abuse people like you are directing towards him.  Tell me a goal he's been responsible for so far and I'll give some credibility to your opinions.

Archived