onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

The first 4 games have resulted in more questions than DC currently has answers for.

Play 3 CB’s including Legge and we don’t concede goals. Play 2 and we get murdered as Legge doesn’t have the pace.

Play 3 CB’s and Worrall - are best attacking outlet for the last 2 seasons is ineffective - likewise Amoo who can be another game-changer.

Rodney is the most likely forward to score, but again ineffective in a 532 variant. With a two up top, Wilson and Proctor seem a more natural combo, but neither offer the goal scoring threat Rodney does when played as a wide forward. 

The midfield is the real interesting one. No creativity without Conlon, no real pace or guile, just nice tidy players one keep things ticking over.

So we either play two more defensively-minded CM’s in a 442 with two wide men - Worrall and Amoo which means potentially Rodney misses out - or if 433 then have Pett, Walker and Garrity which means you need a front three of Worrall, Proctor and Amoo or Rodney meaning Wilson (arguably our marque signing so far) misses out. And that also completely ignores Politic who looks quite exciting if we can get him fit, and Hurst who has been unfairly written off IMHO. Plus Jake Taylor who I feel would actually thrive on this current 532, frustratingly.

All this AND we are talking about getting another striker. 

So this is why I’m critical of the new methodology so far, it almost feels like we have too many options at the moment. The best team we had in recent memory was 2012/13 when it was almost formed by default, rigid 4-4-1-1 and everyone knew their respective roles.

Advert

14 hours ago, Sam Kelly's Left Boot said:

What has DC said? And did he let the interviewer finish a single question before butting in? 

To be fair that new rule that the FA has introduced where you get points deducted based on interview question answer response time etiquette is madness.

Carlisle fans are seriously worried.

😂

36 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I do agree that DC comes across as arrogant BUT is it arrogance or just confidence in his own ability?

I still prefer the DC and MA approach in interviews than JA or NA tbf

I think MA had earned the right to be slightly arrogant and he was also not so nasty about it.

9 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Play 3 CB’s including Legge and we don’t concede goals. Play 2 and we get murdered as Legge doesn’t have the pace.

Leggey has been very good this season. Aaron Martin seems a very capable replacement if necessary though so not sure we're that reliant on Leon if we want 2 centre halves.

34 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I do agree that DC comes across as arrogant BUT is it arrogance or just confidence in his own ability?

I still prefer the DC and MA approach in interviews than JA or NA tbf

Both points you make will obviously depend on the judgement of the individual.  I may see it as arrogance whereas you may say it’s confidence.  We all draw our own line in the sand.

What I would say though is that some folk have double standards.  These are the fans who criticised Askey for being boring, lacking passion, but don’t like it now we’ve got a guy who’s just the opposite.

As ever, results on the park will dictate more than anything how any manager will be remembered longer term.

24 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I didn't want him as manager, that is different.

He wasn't my choice either. I think Carol has been duped and is paying a very expensive price for this organisational set-up.  That has to be balanced somewhere. 

What do I know? Tbf, Carol is no idiot in business.  I hope her sense is better than mine here, too.

2 minutes ago, Doha said:

Leggey has been very good this season. Aaron Martin seems a very capable replacement if necessary though so not sure we're that reliant on Leon if we want 2 centre halves.

Yes, I’m not saying he isn’t but whether it’s down to his relationship with Smith, experience, organisational qualities (and let’s face it, we do need that with Covolan in goal) we don’t concede goals with Legge in a 3.

14 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

The first 4 games have resulted in more questions than DC currently has answers for.

Play 3 CB’s and Worrall - are best attacking outlet for the last 2 seasons is ineffective - likewise Amoo who can be another game-changer.

Rodney is the most likely forward to score, but again ineffective in a 532 variant. With a two up top, Wilson and Proctor seem a more natural combo, but neither offer the goal scoring threat Rodney does when played as a wide forward. 

The midfield is the real interesting one. No creativity without Conlon, no real pace or guile, just nice tidy players one keep things ticking over.

So we either play two more defensively-minded CM’s in a 442 with two wide men - Worrall and Amoo which means potentially Rodney misses out - or if 433 then have Pett, Walker and Garrity which means you need a front three of Worrall, Proctor and Amoo or Rodney meaning Wilson (arguably our marque signing so far) misses out. And that also completely ignores Politic who looks quite exciting if we can get him fit, and Hurst who has been unfairly written off IMHO. Plus Jake Taylor who I feel would actually thrive on this current 532, frustratingly.

All this AND we are talking about getting another striker. 

So this is why I’m critical of the new methodology so far, it almost feels like we have too many options at the moment. The best team we had in recent memory was 2012/13 when it was almost formed by default, rigid 4-4-1-1 and everyone knew their respective roles.

The irony is that if we’d have taken just a couple of our chances then we wouldn’t be having this conversation.  But we haven’t.  So we are. 😳

2 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Both points you make will obviously depend on the judgement of the individual.  I may see it as arrogance whereas you may say it’s confidence.  We all draw our own line in the sand.

What I would say though is that some folk have double standards.  These are the fans who criticised Askey for being boring, lacking passion, but don’t like it now we’ve got a guy who’s just the opposite.

As ever, results on the park will dictate more than anything how any manager will be remembered longer term.

Excellent points. 

Both Aspin and Askey could talk a glass eye to sleep. We also had barmy Brown with his 10 cup finals fighting talk. 

Clarke is prickly for sure and ruffles feathers but all that will be water under the bridge once we start winning games. 

Players win games not formations. It was clear that second half we were a different animal and I'm not banging the drum for him playing 5-3-2 or whatever it's dressed up as . 

But I do think he's right that the shape was set up right. It was just the majority of players with the odd exception couldn't pass the ball , control the ball or do any of the basics. What wasn't right was Worrall was a lost sheep in that system. 

I'm trying to stay positive it is difficult we all want to be where FGR are and it's possible next Saturday night the league table could look grim reading. 

Doesn't get any easier either Rochdale at home , Swindon is usually zero points and they perhaps aren't the basket case we thought. Harrogate will park the bus and Scunthorpe another generally unhappy hunting ground. 

So let's hope that we click very soon. 

22 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

It's just the way football is. What failed last time? Okay we'll do the opposite next time! Askey was good when plan A worked but no plan B, and players could down tools. So we get Clarke who has a plan A,B,C,D and will lay into players if they're shirking. Journeymen players failed so get rid of them and sign 'hungry' young players from the league below.

Hopefully Clarke will get it right. If not then hopefully the next bloke will. That's just football.

Having watched the game this morning, I'm a bit surprised at the general negativity.

First half was poor, but even so, we weren't carved open.

Most chances were our mistakes.

Second half was thoroughly entertaining.

All players looking good and doing their bit, with Jones and Woz outstanding.

Pace was higher, passing crisper, crossing superb.

We should have won, and need to score when so dominant.

Guest Vale at home
Just now, philmpv said:

Where do the Sentinel get their stats from? Has us down as committing 6 fouls. We conceded 12 fouls in the first half alone!

Yes I agree . 

Archived