onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

With Amoo and now Politic in the squad there's no real reason we shouldn't be playing with two wide players, especially at home. I'd also rather see us play with 1 up top than this 5-3-2 formation, which allows us to keep a midfield three which Clarke seems to love.

Covolan/Stone

Smith (Gibbons when fit)

Legge/Martin

Cass

Jones

Worrall

Walker

Pett

Garrity (Conlon when fit)

Politic/Amoo

Rodney/Proctor

Advert

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

First half Clarke either got it completely wrong or the players didn’t adapt to the system.  

So if it got it so wrong why not change it early doors instead of giving Stevenage the impetus 

If your the manager and can see that on a whole we are and were in that first half crap you do not leave it till half time you change it immediately 

So judging by the change Johnson was very poor and Garritys tremendousis that so ?

is DC going get credit for Port Vales better second half performance as to me that's encouraging playing crap then turning it round and folk saying we could have won it shows we have better players than folk realise and we are generally finishing games well because of extra fitness 

When people actually cross the ball into the box, Wilson and Rodney look dangerous. Could have got a few between them as DC said. That comes from the formation, the form and the players. If they could pick the ball up in midfield and turn, take on some players and score, they wouldn’t be coming here on free transfers. Play simple, play wide, get the ball into the box. Man for man I think we have more quality than most teams, so don’t over-complicate it

Having just seen a replay of their goal it confirmed what was wondering at the time, what the hell was that wall playing at? Very disappointing that.

It’s a shame Covolan had that moment of craziness at the end of the half as people are talking about that rather than a pretty decent performance otherwise. Cass was fantastic and he simply must start now going forward. We definitely can’t afford another half like the first one at FGR as they will tear us to shreds.

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I thought Wilson did well second half and was unlucky not to score when he hit that cross from the left first time.

Yes and he’ll still get 10+ knocking them in for the rest of the season.

1 minute ago, Guppys left peg said:

Having just seen a replay of their goal it confirmed what was wondering at the time, what the hell was that wall playing at? Very disappointing that.

It’s a shame Covolan had that moment of craziness at the end of the half as people are talking about that rather than a pretty decent performance otherwise. Cass was fantastic and he simply must start now going forward. We definitely can’t afford another half like the first one at FGR as they will tear us to shreds.

The top two will stretch away and be beyond us catching up. So we need to win at FG next week. It's time to turn robust defence and good chance creation into a significant result. 

Here's a reminder of how long it sometimes takes for a team in transition to really get going.  

The two play off finalists last season in League 1 were Blackpool and Oxford. At this stage of that season, both were in the bottom four after four games with identical records of P4 W1 D0 L3 and both were still in the bottom half of the season in December. In fact Blackpool, the eventual winners, were in 15th place as late as the end of January. 

Judging by the comments on today's game, my guess is that this site would be in complete meltdown by that stage. I'm not terribly happy with the start we've made and particularly with the wretched 352 - or should I say 532 system - but we have to be a bit more patient. It's going to take time for this side to settle down and gain some momentum.

Already, a few players who've had a ropey start (I'm thinking Covolan, Wilson and Benning) seem to be the targets of particular criticism. The manager knows these players and needs to be given some slack in ensuring their development. I'm particularly exercised with Wilson who I think is a class player but seems to lack confidence, for whatever reason. It's not going to help him or the others one little bit if the crowd starts to get on their back.

So let's cut them some slack, be a bit more patient and get behind the manager and the team as a whole - it's a long season!

31 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

So if it got it so wrong why not change it early doors instead of giving Stevenage the impetus 

If your the manager and can see that on a whole we are and were in that first half crap you do not leave it till half time you change it immediately 

So judging by the change Johnson was very poor and Garritys tremendousis that so ?

is DC going get credit for Port Vales better second half performance as to me that's encouraging playing crap then turning it round and folk saying we could have won it shows we have better players than folk realise and we are generally finishing games well because of extra fitness 

Are you p1ssed up?

“I need to analyse why we performed so badly because I had done my job right. The shape was right, but for me it looked like a lot of basic, very poor errors.”

I am not slagging the guy off but this sort of arrogance reminds me of Gannon. From what I read, a number of fans would disagree with HIS choice of formation.

9 minutes ago, jeffers said:

“I need to analyse why we performed so badly because I had done my job right. The shape was right, but for me it looked like a lot of basic, very poor errors.”

I am not slagging the guy off but this sort of arrogance reminds me of Gannon. From what I read, a number of fans would disagree with HIS choice of formation.

But, but, he did everything right. And, and, it wasn't his fault. 

The top two will stretch away and be beyond us catching up. So we need to win at FG next week. It's time to turn robust defence and good chance creation into a significant result. 
Have I read this right? If we lose next Saturday, our 5th game, we cannot possibly catch up with the top 2 in the next 41 games?

Archived