onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 minute ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

Genuinely not that worried after that second half, still after 5 games I think we have enough for playoffs. I might get stick, but I've watched all the games and do think there is more than enough there. Another striker on loan plus Conlon and we can have a good season after a slow start.

Totally agree.

Advert

3 minutes ago, Wrex said:

He's been pretty spot on tbf with his talk this season... other than hinting that Conlon could come back any minute when it's clear now he'll be missing for a while yet.

Clarke hinted before the season started that we might struggle at first. I think he knew before the Northampton game that the squad isn't ready/right. As for why that is, well he's the manager so has to be at least partly responsible even if he is only one of a recruitment team.

Fair comment Wrex.

If we accept that starting slowly is good enough then he can only be applauded. We couldn't get much worse. not a single win in 4. I would suggest that we will be around this position all season unless something changes drastically. Would we still be happy?

5 minutes ago, Santa said:

Wilson’s shoulders worry me. His body language isn’t great. If that makes sense. 

Yeah I thought that when watching him during a corner second half. Looked miserable. Really, really really needs a goal and atm the manager is holding him back from getting it due to the dreadful 532 hoofball plan. 

3 minutes ago, Doha said:

Apart from a little spell where we were getting our bearings we were the better side for much of the second half and could easily have won. Worrall headed just over, Proctor was an inch away from a touch that would have taken it past the keeper, and we had a strong penalty shout.

The problem is we don’t turn up until the second half. The first was as abysmal as I can remember for a long time. I said a few days ago that with how these line up we had to have enough numbers to hold the centre. We failed to do so because he stuck with that utterly awful 532 and we were completely and utterly overrun for 45 mins, we’d hoof it clear and it’d come straight back. We made Stevenage, bloody Stevenage, look like a top division side. DC needs to hold his hand up and admit he got that completely and utterly wrong. 

I hoped Garrity would come on for Johnson and HT and thankfully he did. Much, much, much better, Garrity had a good game. Legge was good before he went off but I’d be minded to give MOTM to Garrity based on just 45 given how relatively diabolical we looked first half. 

Liner out of his depth. Weak referee blew up for 95% of the challenges, they went down rolling around constantly. 

Covalon’s head went. The abuse he was getting from the away rattled him and he made a few more mistakes shortly after as a result of it. At the end he stayed fairly far away from the away end. Yes he does really really stupid things, I gave him some stick for him wandering off his line and trying to dribble the <ovf censored> idiot, but we need to think about what sustained and personal pelters every time he touches the ball is doing to his confidence (and in turn the score line) when the crowd is on his back getting in his head. He made some good saves, it’s just his idiotic tendency to dwell on the ball trying to dribble and pass. 

No more 532 please ffs. Clarke’s post match comments will dictate whether I go to FGR because unless he recognises the insanity of that first half I can’t put myself through that misery again getting thrashed for 45 mins in a quiet garden shed in front of 27 home fans. 

He was getting pelters on the radio from Phil Sproson.

Is if you say there is 'sustained' abuse, like you say, that is shocking.

I can understand a 'wtf are you doing' outburst, but anything sustained and personal is 100 percent counter productive.

Fair comment Wrex.
If we accept that starting slowly is good enough then he can only be applauded. We couldn't get much worse. not a single win in 4. I would suggest that we will be around this position all season unless something changes drastically. Would we still be happy?
We could get a lot worse. I prefer unbeaten in 3.

We've had a tough start to the season, and if we had played a Walsall or Oldham we would have more points in the bag. Next week looks tricky, but FGR do concede a few, and hopefully DC will realise that his starting formation today just doesnt work.

9 minutes ago, Emile said:

Another point on the board and didn't loose away despite a terrible first half. I'll take it. 

Seems we've been given some tough games to start the season with FGR next and then a pretty good going Swindon team after 

I don't think we've played a team so far that wasn't in the top 7 when we've played them.

We've had a tough start to the season, and if we had played a Walsall or Oldham we would have more points in the bag. Next week looks tricky, but FGR do concede a few, and hopefully DC will realise that his starting formation today just doesnt work.
Wasn't it 343 at the start, which many, including myself, have been suggesting to get Worrall further up the field? Didn't look great today, but may against another with 1 less player in the centre

2nd half was much better, even Covolan managed not to stuff up for a whole half! Oddly we kept trying to get the ball in via crosses, yet Stevenage have tall Centre halves making you wonder why we were not trying to play through the middle more often. 

Not brilliant, but we were the better side in the 2nd half. 

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:
6 minutes ago, mikey said:

Wasn't it 343 at the start, which many, including myself, have been suggesting to get Worrall further up the field? Didn't look great today, but may against another with 1 less player in the centre

Most just wanted a flat back 4. There was definitely more than 3 defenders that started the game today. Just go 433 or 4321. We don’t need 5 defenders

3 minutes ago, mikey said:

We need to start next week as we played in the 2nd half and continue at that level all through the match. If not FGR could bury us by halftime. We look short of goals so important next week to get ahead in the game. We need that confidence that going ahead gives you.

7 minutes ago, mikey said:

Tranmere lost at home and Northampton thumped at home by Rochdale 

On balance over the two halves the right result.

Smith was superb, battled for everything, Cass played well, Worrall as always everywhere on the pitch.

It's early days but none of the new signings look any better or look an upgrade on the better players who were already at the Vale, I'm thinking the likes of Conlon, Worrall, Legge, Smith, Rodney. The one possible exception being Dan Jones.

If Vale were to become promotion contenders this season then players better than the better players we already had needed to be signed.

Hopefully Politic will do the business and the new striker reputed to be signing kicks starts the goal scoring and even more hopefully DC will play 4 at the back.

Archived