onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

7 minutes ago, philmpv said:

If ever there was a game of 2 halves, that was it. Very poor and open first half, yet I thought we were much the better side in the second, which coincided with the change in system and intro of Garrity. Probably should have won it by the end.

Cass excellent today. Gibbons has real competition if that's anything to go by. Defence solid again, and their goal was from a set piece. Garrity played well. Wilson had a couple of chances. Rodney really needs to look up sometime.

Ref awful. Gave fouls that werent, didn't give fouls (usually for us) which clearly were.

More positive than negative yet again for me.

It’s easy to say, “when Tom is back” but I really think he’s the catalyst and the link-up we are missing.

2 minutes ago, Ron C said:

Right, let's see what DC has to say. He always has some BS to spill out for us about how he knows what he is doing.  Remember that our squad was too good to be in the position it was. Then it was awful and had had awful recruitment. Then it was the fitness, even though he'd had them for a month to make them that fit during a season. Then he was able to tell us that we would have a slow start to the season.

He's full of it. At some stage, we will cotton on to his rubbish.

He's been pretty spot on tbf with his talk this season... other than hinting that Conlon could come back any minute when it's clear now he'll be missing for a while yet.

Clarke hinted before the season started that we might struggle at first. I think he knew before the Northampton game that the squad isn't ready/right. As for why that is, well he's the manager so has to be at least partly responsible even if he is only one of a recruitment team.

4 minutes ago, connor hackett said:

Looked lots better when Garrity came on, and Procter looked better than Wilson. Good point but very frustrating we aren't converting the chances we create. We need a Foyle or Naylor up front.

Foyle or Naylor? If only. I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven!

Wilson’s shoulders worry me. His body language isn’t great. If that makes sense. 
Yes. I've thought that. He just needs a goal. When he gets one, I think his confidence will go through the roof. It's a pity as I think his touch and ball retention when it's at his feet is second to none.

Slightly off topic but I feel Sproson is still 'one of the boys' from the old guard, he clearly hated seeing all his agented players leaving and made a snide remark regarding the recruitment at the end of the first half when it wasn't going exactly how he wanted to see it - absolutely loved the recruitment of Jones and Cass second half though.

I know RS won't but would love to see him binned off on commentary for a more relevant ex Vale player, one with less emotional investment maybe, we have the normal play guy (forget his name) for that.

It was a poor first half and were lucky to be 1-1 really, but yeah there was a noted difference second half, subs were good by DC and I think again unlucky not to win it.

Covolan was dodgy first half, but got into again second, wasn't really at fault for the goal - stick with him and I think it's worth utilising his distribution. Risky in league 2 but will be worth the pay off if he's a good shot stopper.

Cass - quality shift, plays next game.
Johnson - didn't do too much wrong but was the right choice to sub off as the most vulnerable in that back line.
Legge - although he wins everything in the air there is just an air of a mistake about him. I think it's both his age and mobility, thought Martin was a more able replacement.
Jones - quality again, set pieces need putting away and is a 100 percenter every game by the looks of it.

Pett - on the showings so far a tiny bit worried, expect a bit more quality going forward, needs to be less sideways and more positive.
Walker - bit of a madhead but appreciate his role of breaking up the play and stringing some nice passes together, actually rate him.
Worrall - usual self-less performance with some good deliveries but had a bit of an off game today - another first teamer every week regardless on the right.
Garrity - changed the tempo and got hold of the midfield, which was great, but he didn't do that as much at home against Tranmere

Can't wait for Conlon to come in to that.

Rodney - did well for the goal and is frustrating to watch, but he is off the mark - he has to play specially at home.
Wilson - he was quite poor today, but not for the lack of trying. You can see from his touch his quality, 1 goal will set him away.
Proctor - Pope upgrade will do oright this season as well I think.

Genuinely not that worried after that second half, still after 5 games I think we have enough for playoffs. I might get stick, but I've watched all the games and do think there is more than enough there. Another striker on loan plus Conlon and we can have a good season after a slow start.

Apart from a little spell where we were getting our bearings we were the better side for much of the second half and could easily have won. Worrall headed just over, Proctor was an inch away from a touch that would have taken it past the keeper, and we had a strong penalty shout.

The problem is we don’t turn up until the second half. The first was as abysmal as I can remember for a long time. I said a few days ago that with how these line up we had to have enough numbers to hold the centre. We failed to do so because he stuck with that utterly awful 532 and we were completely and utterly overrun for 45 mins, we’d hoof it clear and it’d come straight back. We made Stevenage, bloody Stevenage, look like a top division side. DC needs to hold his hand up and admit he got that completely and utterly wrong. 

I hoped Garrity would come on for Johnson and HT and thankfully he did. Much, much, much better, Garrity had a good game. Legge was good before he went off but I’d be minded to give MOTM to Garrity based on just 45 given how relatively diabolical we looked first half. 

Liner out of his depth. Weak referee blew up for 95% of the challenges, they went down rolling around constantly. 

Covalon’s head went. The abuse he was getting from the away rattled him and he made a few more mistakes shortly after as a result of it. At the end he stayed fairly far away from the away end. Yes he does really really stupid things, I gave him some stick for him wandering off his line and trying to dribble the <ovf censored> idiot, but we need to think about what sustained and personal pelters every time he touches the ball is doing to his confidence (and in turn the score line) when the crowd is on his back getting in his head. He made some good saves, it’s just his idiotic tendency to dwell on the ball trying to dribble and pass. 

No more 532 please ffs. Clarke’s post match comments will dictate whether I go to FGR because unless he recognises the insanity of that first half I can’t put myself through that misery again getting thrashed for 45 mins in a quiet garden shed in front of 27 home fans. 

1 minute ago, philmpv said:
3 minutes ago, Santa said:
Wilson’s shoulders worry me. His body language isn’t great. If that makes sense. 

Yes. I've thought that. He just needs a goal. When he gets one, I think his confidence will go through the roof. It's a pity as I think his touch and ball retention when it's at his feet is second to none.

I hope your right but I’m not so sure didn’t he score a screamer at chesterfield and folks said that’ll do his confidence a world of good Mmmm

Archived