onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

41 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Contradictory. We were lucky they are not up to speed you say 

Tranmere and Carlisle were lucky we aren't up to speed also or we'd beat them both . 

My point was that they both looked like a team which was a bit early season rusty whereas we don't look like a team yet. We are obviously playing catch up with our new broom approach, it remains to be seen if we are in the race or if everyone else will be several laps ahead by the time we gel. 

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I am expecting nothing from the Stevenage game or the Forest Green game. Both Tranmere and Carlisle looked like teams who could have beaten us, that free header for Tranmere towards the end should have been a goal, we were lucky that they are not up to speed yet. Carlisle had that break away when they were four on one and should have scored. Our only similar moment was the Amoo chance and then he was not in the best position to score. I know we are hoping that the players will gel, early days, any cliches you like really but considering that we have supposedly recruited based on stats and this is largely Clarkes team I am not seeing any great signs of us being a great team. We have some good individual players but that doesn't always make a good team, look at England in the Gerard, Lampard days for example. 

There’s no way on this earth that you can honestly believe that we were “lucky” not to lose against Tranmere or Carlisle.

Forget missed headers, we’ve missed decent headed chances ourselves, the closest you can come to a goal without actually scoring is to hit the woodwork and it’s not been “lucky” for us that those 4 chances have all stayed out.

Carlisle fluffed their breakaway not due to any great luck on our part, simply it was poor finishing, and I would say great credit to Jones for the way he defended the situation.

16 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

There’s no way on this earth that you can honestly believe that we were “lucky” not to lose against Tranmere or Carlisle.

Forget missed headers, we’ve missed decent headed chances ourselves, the closest you can come to a goal without actually scoring is to hit the woodwork and it’s not been “lucky” for us that those 4 chances have all stayed out.

Carlisle fluffed their breakaway not due to any great luck on our part, simply it was poor finishing, and I would say great credit to Jones for the way he defended the situation.

Watching that 4 on 1 breakaway again you’re absolutely right about Jones. Did really well not to commit too early so well done to him.

It’s ridiculous for anyone to say we were lucky to draw those games. Just looking at Carlisle there was the free header from Garrity, hitting the woodwork a couple of times, Walker having a half chance off a corner, one cleared off the line and Rodney not deciding to shoot rather than take on their whole team. 

18 hours ago, valefan16 said:

In all fairness we got a quarter of those goals in just three games which made it a bit lob sided, if you add in the two 4-3 defeats then we got only 37 in 41 other games.

That said we weren’t defending as well for most of the season and we still have attack minded players such as Conlon, Politic and hopefully a decent fourth striker to come in this time and seem more organised at the back.

Equally, Tranmere scored 7 of their goals against us so they only got 48 in their other 44 games - hardly prolific despite having a 20 goal a season striker. 

8 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I am expecting nothing from the Stevenage game or the Forest Green game. Both Tranmere and Carlisle looked like teams who could have beaten us, that free header for Tranmere towards the end should have been a goal, we were lucky that they are not up to speed yet. Carlisle had that break away when they were four on one and should have scored. Our only similar moment was the Amoo chance and then he was not in the best position to score. I know we are hoping that the players will gel, early days, any cliches you like really but considering that we have supposedly recruited based on stats and this is largely Clarkes team I am not seeing any great signs of us being a great team. We have some good individual players but that doesn't always make a good team, look at England in the Gerard, Lampard days for example. 

Totally agree with your comments, we’ll said 👍🏽

Watching that 4 on 1 breakaway again you’re absolutely right about Jones. Did really well not to commit too early so well done to him.
It’s ridiculous for anyone to say we were lucky to draw those games. Just looking at Carlisle there was the free header from Garrity, hitting the woodwork a couple of times, Walker having a half chance off a corner, one cleared off the line and Rodney not deciding to shoot rather than take on their whole team. 

And about 3 opportunities for worrall

Archived