onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

I have to say that if everyone was fit, I go along with Breadwinner team.  We have a slight problem although looking decent at the back, this 5 at the back is not working for us and is restricting us going the other way.  With all the signings in the summer of centre backs, we now have 6 with Legge, Smith, Johnson, Martin, Jones and Cass, I know Cass and Jones can play full back but their main positions are in the middle.  For me this was 1 centre half too many and will mean that Clarke will stick with this 5 at the back for as long as possible.  

I genuinely believe that we have far better players than last year all over the pitch and for me we are a striker away from having a challenging team.  The team reminds me of the LDV season when we struggled up until Christmas and then when Brooker came we went on that great run.

Advert

I've been positive since the start of the season with this side. I think the good has outweighed the bad in all three league games so far (Didn't concede any goals after being down to 10 men, creating chances, Jones' diagonal passes to Woz, Legge being an absolute beast I think he missed one header on Tuesday, Walker is solid)

I think it's only a matter of time before we wallop a team. In both the Tranmere and Carlisle game we should have been 2-0 up inside the first 15 minutes. All of the issues we have (too many long balls, poor crosses into the box, poor passing) can be fixed in training. As much as I love Jones and I think he's been superb I do think too much goes through him. I felt on Tuesday that he saw too much of the ball and because of his long passes it meant Garrity and Pett were bypassed. If Conlon was playing that wouldn't happen.

The work-rate is there, the only player that doesn't look fit is Benning. Also I think Garrity deserves some credit. He hasn't lit the pitch up in the two games he has played and at times I forgot he was on the pitch but that's more to do with the long balls over the top. I noticed him more on Tuesday and it's a tough position to fill and as much as he wasn't great, he wasn't awful either. He should have scored that header though.

I honestly believe one goal will open the floodgates. Who do we think will get it? I'm going to say Walker on the 18 yard line, probably connected to a corner. There, I've said it, I've locked it in.

I can't see DC moving away from 352. Keep us solid and try and nick a goal.

Personally I would like to see a 4231 system to try and get the best out of our attacking players.

My team would be-:

Covolan

Smith Martin Jones Benning

Pett Walker

Wozza    Wilson      Rodney

Proctor.

Big Leon has been immense and done absolutely nothing wrong but Stevenage are not big ball merchants so I think its good time to bring Martin back in and give Leon a rest after 3 games in a week. 

Just listened to DC after match interview v Carlisle,he was spot on Carlisle have blocked 8 shots etc poor final ball etc there's a lot to work on we will get better I'm sure of it looking forwards to Stevenage would have been nice watch it on ifollow but not to be 

Good luck Vale cannot imagine the following being that great but appreciate the ones who are going fair play to them ,hope they have something to shout about 

UTV 

25 minutes ago, MBE said:

I can't see DC moving away from 352. Keep us solid and try and nick a goal.

Personally I would like to see a 4231 system to try and get the best out of our attacking players.

My team would be-:

Covolan

Smith Martin Jones Benning

Pett Walker

Wozza    Wilson      Rodney

Proctor.

Big Leon has been immense and done absolutely nothing wrong but Stevenage are not big ball merchants so I think its good time to bring Martin back in and give Leon a rest after 3 games in a week. 

I’d keep playing Leon whilst he’s in form. Also, wouldn’t want to shoehorn Smith in at RB. However, I’d be happy to give the rest of your suggested team a go.  

If we go 4-2-3-1, I think it’s between Smith and Benning to drop out based on performances so far. 

I’d probably go with the below:

Covolan

Cass   Smith  Legge  Jones

Pett  Walker

Worrall  Wilson  Rodney

Proctor

The big question mark is if Wilson can play in the hole, or would we get overrun in midfield? If Conlon is fit, I’d swap him with Wilson. 

Does no one see a start for Amoo. He’s certainly changed our attacking capability when he’s been brought on as sub.?

Who do you drop though? Worrall you can’t really. Take Benning off you lose the wing back role so would need 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 for it I guess.

I think the jury’s still out on Amoo ! He really needs to step up this season or his career in football is going to be limited. There is without doubt an exciting player in there but he needs to be much more consistent and prove he is not just a luxury player, unlucky not to score Tuesday.

Amoo is 30. The concept that he's going to step up/improve on what he's been for the last decade is a fallacy.

He's been consistently inconsistent. That's his game. If he performed like he did vs Sunderland every week, he's not a League 2 winger. 

I've always said he's worth having in the squad as he is one of the few 'game-changing' players we have, who can single-handedly flip the result of a game. Every good side needs a few. Problem being that you don't know when that will be, and he may only change 3-4 games a season and be a passenger in the rest (although his pace always attracts a couple of markers). 

Is 8-12 extra points worth the wage? I'd say yes, but release him at the end of this year.

22 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Does no one see a start for Amoo. He’s certainly changed our attacking capability when he’s been brought on as sub.?

If you were really wanting to attack and to throw caution to the wind, I think you would play both Amoo and Wozza out wide with Proctor and Wilson up top to benefit from the crosses, with Conlon behind them to fire the ammunition and to pick up the pieces.

One of things that brings great success in goalscoring is a decent partnership that is allowed to bed in and establish itself but at the moment DC seems unsure of who this might be and so, compounded by injuries, we've seen too much variation.

Effective attacking play also requires partnerships between the full backs and their respective number wide left or right - so Gibbo with Wozza and Benning with Amoo. We've seen this loads of times at the Vale in the past and that's what probably is at the root of many fans' disappointment with 352. Nothing like effective wing play to break down stubborn opposition.

Personally, I think 352 may well suit us away while 442 or other formation to accommodate our best attacking players would be better at home. Sooner or later DC is hopefully going to get this right, though at the moment my guess is he'll stick with the formation he's spent all summer preparing for as the core of our play. Continue not to score and he'll have to rethink. But he's an intelligent manager and in due course I believe he'll get it right.

Let's see what he does on Saturday - it's only game four!

23 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

You're going mad. He's only omitted Smith because he can't stand the bloke and Politic is not match fit with only a few minutes pre-season. And there are no goals in that side (I know that isn't saying much). I usually like Breadwinner's posts but this time he's way off!

No goals in Conlon / Worrall / Politic / Proctor with, presumably, Wilson and Rodney on the bench??? I don't think it's Breadwinner going mad? 😇 

Archived