Alcohol and drugs death reach record high

WV

Just now, WV said:

You do realise the less help there is then the more likely they will turn to crime? 

I once had my car broken into by a man. Should I now hate all men? 

Of course I realise .

Majority, granted not all are a self inflicted drain on society.

A stroll through Hanley or Newcastle will confirm this. 

Advert:

1 minute ago, WV said:

You do realise the less help there is then the more likely they will turn to crime? 

I once had my car broken into by a man. Should I now hate all men? 

Redemption Society.

Easier to just pass them all off as scum and ignore the wider issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

Calling me a liar , mate ? 

No, I'm not calling you a liar.

I don't doubt your experience happened.

But you've just dismissed any reasons why any addicts (of anything) end where they do.

If someone has committed a crime against you, I hope they got punished for it.

Addict or not.

Advert:

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Of course I realise .

Majority, granted not all are a self inflicted drain on society.

A stroll through Hanley or Newcastle will confirm this. 

So you've confirmed that anecdotally with a stroll through the town? 

How can you say that the majority are self inflicted? Have you lived a day in their shoes? Some will be a result of mental illness and lack of support, others will have been driven there by tragedies which are rarely self inflicted. The key thing is to offer support when it's wanted but our government are taking that support away. I suppose that's ok if you pass them all off as scum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, geosname said:

In my limited experience I have seen addicts offered help on many occasions, which was refused because they prefer their addiction to the world without it.

Undoubtedly that happens.

There are also plenty who simply cannot overcome addiction. 

Not all have the same circumstances and not all have the same coping mechanisms as the rest of us.

43 minutes ago, WV said:

So you've confirmed that anecdotally with a stroll through the town? 

How can you say that the majority are self inflicted? Have you lived a day in their shoes? Some will be a result of mental illness and lack of support, others will have been driven there by tragedies which are rarely self inflicted. The key thing is to offer support when it's wanted but our government are taking that support away. I suppose that's ok if you pass them all off as scum. 

Whereas you just took it as a stick to beat the Tories with . I'm sure Keir would be as equally inept. 

Advert:

Someone that most of us respected and whose bereaved family we donated money to was battling with alcohol addiction and drug use. Perhaps if he didn't have the support that a loving family provided and the buffer of a decent wage then he may have ended up as one of the people that darren disparages so. Not particularly interested in the party political side of it as Labour are dead to me now but I'd be amazed if years of austerity and repeated cuts to public services, particularly in poorer areas, haven't contributed to these shameful figures.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Whereas you just took it as a stick to beat the Tories with . I'm sure Keir would be as equally inept. 

Well you wont lose any sleep over it anyway so why are you bothered? Clearly you think the government have made the right call here and will defend them at any cost. 

8 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Someone that most of us respected and whose bereaved family we donated money to was battling with alcohol addiction and drug use. Perhaps if he didn't have the support that a loving family provided and the buffer of a decent wage then he may have ended up as one of the people that darren disparages so. Not particularly interested in the party political side of it as Labour are dead to me now but I'd be amazed if years of austerity and repeated cuts to public services, particularly in poorer areas, haven't contributed to these shameful figures.

How dare you.

It was me who was instrumental in raising 2500 for Lee Collins with the help of fellow fans on here .

9 hours ago, darren1810 said:

How dare you.

It was me who was instrumental in raising 2500 for Lee Collins with the help of fellow fans on here .

I know it was, I PM'd you to say what a great thing it was you were doing.  Just curious as to how you could show so much kindness and empathy for Lee and his family yet seem so keen on dehumanising others with similar issues.

• Like 4

Mental health problems and addiction go hand in hand. It's no good curing an addiction if the underlying mental health problems are still there.

As previous poster said it would be good for us all to review the opinion that it is self inflicted and try and show some empathy. 

Edited by ginge
  • Like 1

Advert:

It's a sad fact that you will never stop some people from taking drugs. One of the things that would help is drug testing so people know what they are taking.

'Fake ecstasy' from China is flooding UK clubs: Dealers are selling synthetic substitute likened to METH that users say causes memory loss and terrifying hallucinations of 'shadow creatures'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9907931/Fake-ecstasy-China-flooding-UK-clubs-Drug-support-groups-warn-dangerous-4-CMC.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ito=1490&ns_campaign=1490

On 18/08/2021 at 15:44, ginge said:

Mental health problems and addiction go hand in hand. It's no good curing an addiction if the underlying mental health problems are still there.

As previous poster said it would be good for us all to review the opinion that it is self inflicted and try and show some empathy. 

It's true that some addicts develop mental illness and some people with mental illness develop addictions but the two aren't synonymous. 

22 minutes ago, Tapper said:

It's a sad fact that you will never stop some people from taking drugs. One of the things that would help is drug testing so people know what they are taking.

'Fake ecstasy' from China is flooding UK clubs: Dealers are selling synthetic substitute likened to METH that users say causes memory loss and terrifying hallucinations of 'shadow creatures'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9907931/Fake-ecstasy-China-flooding-UK-clubs-Drug-support-groups-warn-dangerous-4-CMC.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ito=1490&ns_campaign=1490

Are you suggesting legalizing and state control?