Alcohol and drugs death reach record high

WV

They are more interested in locking people away than helping them to get better.

This is talking about the US, but most of the same things can de changed in the UK.

Reversing the War on Drugs: A five-point plan

https://www.brookings.edu/research/reversing-the-war-on-drugs-a-five-point-plan/

Here is a piece  about the UK:

‘These people are broken’: Why the UK’s war on drugs has failed

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2021/3/22/these-people-are-broken-why-the-uks-war-on-drugs-has

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geosname said:

I have little sympathy if the addiction to illegal drugs is self induced and less with alcoholics.

That's not to say they should not get help if they want it.

To be fair geo they don't give a <ovf censored> about your sympathy. People in this situation just need help and those that want it clearly cant get it due to government cuts. 

• Like 2

Pleas give this a read.

This paper investigates options available to policy makers responding to the challenges of drug use in modern society, focussing on the UK. It investigates the failings of prohibition policy that has driven historic reactions to drugs, drug use and drug users globally, nationally and locally. This policy paradigm has been largely destructive and counter-productive and has led to a whole host of health and social problems. The authors have approached their investigation from a public health perspective, free from moral biases that have driven many policy initiatives until now. Many countries and regions of the world are rejecting prohibition as they move towards public health models in opposition to criminal justice responses, and this trend is continuing. Four policy models are examined; prohibition as the status quo; extension of prohibition to include alcohol and other drugs; decriminalisation; legalisation and regulation of all drugs. Each of these policy options are contested; none have universal support. However, given careful consideration, this paper proposes that our only way out of the public health and criminal justice crises that have been driven by drug policy globally is to adopt the more contentious option of legalisation and regulation of all drugs commonly used non medically.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/20503245211005351

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WV said:

To be fair geo they don't give a <ovf censored> about your sympathy. People in this situation just need help and those that want it clearly cant get it due to government cuts. 

I wasn't referring to them personaly but to their plight/problem.

Dissapearing down the rabbit hole is one thing, expecting someone to come rescue you is another.

33 minutes ago, geosname said:

I wasn't referring to them personaly but to their plight/problem.

Dissapearing down the rabbit hole is one thing, expecting someone to come rescue you is another.

What are you going on about? 

Edited by WV

1 hour ago, eh up nah said:

Yeah, only scumbags suffer from addiction don't they?

How you view and treat those worse off than yourself says a lot about you as a person. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, WV said:

What are you going on about? 

You said they don't give "whatever" for my sympathy.

I stated that I had little sympathy for their plight.

I do have a little sympathy for people who choose dissapearing down the rabbit hole to escape to the realities of life.

11 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Alcohol should be put under the control of public houses, not little shops who aren’t bothered who they sell to or supermarkets that knock it out at a loss.

How many pubs have you seen selling booze to people who are already way over the top?

3 hours ago, eh up nah said:

Yeah, only scumbags suffer from addiction don't they?

Having been victim of a crime from utter pond life known as a smack pony I have no interest. 

One less for society to fund for the rest of their miserable crime ridden existence. 

11 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Having been victim of a crime from utter pond life known as a smack pony I have no interest. 

One less for society to fund for the rest of their miserable crime ridden existence. 

You do realise the less help there is then the more likely they will turn to crime? 

Edited by WV