Gerd Muller

He may have been a rival but sad news of the passing of Gerd Muller. A true legend for Munich with 547 goals in 594 appearances and 68 in 62 for Germany. One of the greatest strikers ever. RIP.

He was slightly before my time but what an incredible scoring record.

When I see/hear his name I think of the 1970 World Cup and England losing the 2-0 lead in the Quarters after taking off Bobby Charlton to rest him, and ended up losing 3-2 (.......even though it was before my time!)

RIP 'Der Bomber'.

• 2 weeks later...

Poacher extraordinaire, came alive in the 6yd box typified by his goal in the WC final vs Holland and his goal against England in the 1970 WC in Mexico. What I'd give to see his like in a Vale shirt.

I know this won't be a popular thing to say, but the Germans have had some class player around that era - Beckenbauer was one of my favourite ever players and defenders, while Gerd Muller and Uwe Seeler were awesome, in their time. Of, course, there have been many more since - but I particularly liked those 3. RIP Gerd - you were a great servant for your country!

Could have done with Banks in goal in the QF 1970. But his scoring record of goals in season was only broken by Messi in 2012 and he is one of the greatest players of all time. Goes unnoticed because it was a long time ago now, but the stats are there to see. 

One in six of the population over 80 have dementia. I get the football issue, but it is also a natural way to die when you get old. I say this from the perspective of a working for a major pension scheme where the contact centre has to be trained and aware of this issue in particular because the members of the scheme are vulnerable. 

Anyway, back to Mueller and he left a great legacy. 

Edited by Warren

• 2 weeks later...