Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

3 hours ago, Bob Newtonian said:

I hardly think I m getting carried away by suggesting that a young player belonging to   a big premiership club may keep a young player from a bang average league  2 club out of the team  - especially given Gibbo s last couple of seasons where injuries have really held him back.

fair enough... but i m judging it that Cass will be available week in week out, unfortunately Gibbo (much as I like him) hasn't shown that consistency of fitness as of yet which makes it more difficult for him to get in the team even when they are both fit. I also think Cass looks a bit taller (which we know DC likes) and can play in more positions, again adding weight to his argument for inclusion in the starting  11 given the managers propensity for changing formations mid game.

But we ll see, lets hope both players stay fully fit and at it throughout the season, this can only benefit us.

Anyway lets see.

Your not sure if gibbo can be a first team regular whats he been for the past few seasons then 🤣

25 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I don't want to be established. 

Isn't this one of longest runs ever in the bottom division ?

We need to quickly unestablish ourselves from this difficult league. 

Maybe becoming established is a step on the way to where you, and I, would like us to be.

21 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Maybe becoming established is a step on the way to where you, and I, would like us to be.

True. I guess it's all on interpretation. For example Lard were established after 5 or 6 years in the Premier. 

I'm reading established as just plodding along content with our lot. 

Probably my misinterpretation. 

Gillingham are now established in League one having gone up with ourselves. A pretty much nothing team meandering between 10th and 18th every season. 

It wasn't a pop at you, just my different idea of what established is 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

True. I guess it's all on interpretation. For example Lard were established after 5 or 6 years in the Premier. 

I'm reading established as just plodding along content with our lot. 

Probably my misinterpretation. 

Gillingham are now established in League one having gone up with ourselves. A pretty much nothing team meandering between 10th and 18th every season. 

It wasn't a pop at you, just my different idea of what established is 

Aren't words wonderful 🤠🤔

Becoming established for me is getting a settled squad and getting some results on the board.

Becoming a stronger, coherent unit.

Having a strong core, and add to it year on year.

We've lurched from crisis to crisis for far too long.

Recovering from that will take time.

Some excellent steps have already been taken, and the signs are positive.

However, I would be surprised if it all went smoothly, it's football!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Walter said:

Will the new lad be available?

You’d imagine he may be on the bench instead of hurst. He’s played 32 mins of pre season football so he’s not going to start. Maybe he won’t even make the bench tonight and they’ll want to get him a bit fitter for another week.?

• Like 2

Established to me is being stable, approx mid table  and not being involved in relegation battles during successive seasons.  Usually the base from which a promotion bid is made, but not necessarily as successive promotions are sometimes made, Leicester were Prem Champions after a relegation escape the previous season.  

20 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Established to me is being stable, approx mid table  and not being involved in relegation battles during successive seasons.  Usually the base from which a promotion bid is made, but not necessarily as successive promotions are sometimes made, Leicester were Prem Champions after a relegation escape the previous season.  

Morecambe finished 3rd bottom and the next season finished in the playoffs and went upb

19 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Morecambe finished 3rd bottom and the next season finished in the playoffs and went upb

Just shows anything can happen, we have only played 2 league games

• Like 2

My team would be

Covalan

Cass.    Smith.  Legge.   Benning

Garrett.        Pett

Worral.         Wilson.        Rodney

Proctor

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OtterVale said:

My team would be

Covalan

Garrett.        Pett

Proctor

Bit harsh on Jones

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Don’t think Rodney works in a midfield 4. Askey tried that once and it was a disaster. 

It’s a tricky one, as I know what you mean, it would be great to get Proctor, Wilson and Rodney in one team. Just don’t think it can be accommodated and we still stay strong defensively.

I would play him high as a LW like we did with Ashely Vincent rather than a lefty sided midfielder.

All of Rodneys best performances have come when he has played out wide rather than a central role.

To be fair last year though the midfield was dross and not very mobile which is why we always had to play 3 centrally..... completely different to this year.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I don't want to be established. 

Isn't this one of longest runs ever in the bottom division ?

We need to quickly unestablish ourselves from this difficult league. 

Yes, joint-longest spell in the bottom tier since the 1940s (5 seasons).

Had the same run 2008-13, 1978-83, 65-70.

Failure to get out of League 2 this season would result in the longest run of bottom tier football for Port Vale FC since 1945-54.

Spending 10 of the last 14 seasons in the bottom tier, with three finishes at or below 86/92, is already, arguably, our worst sustained run since Division 4 was formed in 1958. 

UTV

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, OtterVale said:

My team would be

Covalan

Garrett.        Pett

Proctor

After his performances in the last 2 games no way can you drop Jones imo