onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

9 hours ago, PV1973 said:

No chance does he keep a fit Gibbo out IMO. Cass hasn’t shown enough in his brief appearances to get so carried away. 

I hardly think I m getting carried away by suggesting that a young player belonging to   a big premiership club may keep a young player from a bang average league  2 club out of the team  - especially given Gibbo s last couple of seasons where injuries have really held him back.

fair enough... but i m judging it that Cass will be available week in week out, unfortunately Gibbo (much as I like him) hasn't shown that consistency of fitness as of yet which makes it more difficult for him to get in the team even when they are both fit. I also think Cass looks a bit taller (which we know DC likes) and can play in more positions, again adding weight to his argument for inclusion in the starting  11 given the managers propensity for changing formations mid game.

But we ll see, lets hope both players stay fully fit and at it throughout the season, this can only benefit us.

Anyway lets see.

Advert

8 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Don’t think Rodney works in a midfield 4. Askey tried that once and it was a disaster. 

It’s a tricky one, as I know what you mean, it would be great to get Proctor, Wilson and Rodney in one team. Just don’t think it can be accommodated and we still stay strong defensively.

For tomorrow, I’d go. 

Covolan

Cass   Smith  Legge  Jones

Pett  Walker  Garrity 

Worrall  Wilson  Rodney

Solid unit and gives us the base for Wilson/Rodney to hopefully find their goal scoring touch. Amoo, Politics, Proctor to come on. Not bad 😄

Agree re Rodney in a genuine midfield/wing role, so similar for me please, but with Martin instead of Legge, as we don't want to make the same mistakes as last year, playing Legge both in a back 4, and 3 times in a week.

I'd also tweak it to a 4-2-3-1, with Pett and Walker holding, giving Cass and Jones license to move up and create overloads on the wings, with Woz-Garrity-Rodney in the 3 just behind Wilson. Politic, Amoo and Proctor to bring on in the last half hour to run at/batter tired defenders.

1 hour ago, Bob Newtonian said:

I hardly think I m getting carried away by suggesting that a young player belonging to   a big premiership club may keep a young player from a bang average league  2 club out of the team  - especially given Gibbo s last couple of seasons where injuries have really held him back.

fair enough... but i m judging it that Cass will be available week in week out, unfortunately Gibbo (much as I like him) hasn't shown that consistency of fitness as of yet which makes it more difficult for him to get in the team even when they are both fit. I also think Cass looks a bit taller (which we know DC likes) and can play in more positions, again adding weight to his argument for inclusion in the starting  11 given the managers propensity for changing formations mid game.

But we ll see, lets hope both players stay fully fit and at it throughout the season, this can only benefit us.

Anyway lets see.

Funny how fans get blindsided by a young player coming from a higher division and automatically write off our own players for the sake of developing someone else’s. It happens year after year. Yes Gibbo had an unlucky season last season and imo the club need to look at how they handled it, because I think he got rushed back when not ready, but it seems like Clarke is more switched on this time around. If we’re making snap judgements on Cass based on his few sub appearances I’m going to say he looks like one of those players not tall enough or strong enough to be a centre half, so gets lumped as a centre half / fullback, (like Crookes did), I also don’t think he has the mobility or pace for a fullback either. Throwing the height issue at Gibbo is a non starter for me, I don’t recall his lack of height being much of an issue for him. Hopefully we see him back soon because he’s one of those rare fullbacks that can change a game at this level. 

4 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Funny how fans get blindsided by a young player coming from a higher division and automatically write off our own players for the sake of developing someone else’s. It happens year after year. Yes Gibbo had an unlucky season last season and imo the club need to look at how they handled it, because I think he got rushed back when not ready, but it seems like Clarke is more switched on this time around. If we’re making snap judgements on Cass based on his few sub appearances I’m going to say he looks like one of those players not tall enough or strong enough to be a centre half, so gets lumped as a centre half / fullback, (like Crookes did), I also don’t think he has the mobility or pace for a fullback either.

yes I agree with the point you make regarding developing another teams players which denies our own players opportunities to develop themselves. I m not blindsided about (in fact I m fully aware of)  the risk of this happening with the Cass / Gibbons scenario.

I m sure our director of football is aware of this too and will have some plans in place to negate it. (Possibly Cass will be available to sign at the end of the year ?)

What I m not sure of is if Gibbo is a player who will become a first team regular let alone someone we can make any money on further down the line. I guess this opinion is where we differ: and thats fine. The signing of Cass perhaps indicates that DC isnt sure either.

I also agree  the full back / centre back description of a player makes me uncomfortable which is where Crookes struggled slightly as you say. I think Cass will only feature as a full back for us as to play centre back in league 2 you have to be very good if you don't have the physical attributes.

Anyway looking forward to the game tonight if we can get through the turnstiles !

Guest Vale at home
16 hours ago, bomber said:

One thing is for sure we need to at the very least hit the target! I think shooting practice is the order of the day. Far to many wide or over the bar at least work the keeper.

Yes I agree . 

3 hours ago, SFBT said:

I reckon another tough, tight game tonight.
Carlisle another pretty decent, established, league two team.
We're a pretty decent, but not yet established league two team.
Another draw would be a decent result at this stage of the season.
Two tough away games to follow, where I think we'll do ok.
Then we're into some of the less fancied teams.
I'm not expecting anything great for a while yet.

I don't want to be established. 

Isn't this one of longest runs ever in the bottom division ?

We need to quickly unestablish ourselves from this difficult league. 

Guest Vale at home
3 hours ago, The man in the pub said:
16 hours ago, bomber said:
One thing is for sure we need to at the very least hit the target! I think shooting practice is the order of the day. Far to many wide or over the bar at least work the keeper.

Agreed Bomber, didn't create endless amount of chances but a bit more composure Infront of goal would have won it for us. Tranmere had no more/ better chances than us. Wozza to play in a more forward position to give our strikers the additional scoring chances they obviously need.

I just hope vale can score a  Goal  or t two tonight . Come on the Vale .Good Luck for tonight . 

3 hours ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Anyway lets see.

Your not sure if gibbo can be a first team regular whats he been for the past few seasons then 🤣

25 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I don't want to be established. 

Isn't this one of longest runs ever in the bottom division ?

We need to quickly unestablish ourselves from this difficult league. 

Maybe becoming established is a step on the way to where you, and I, would like us to be.

21 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Maybe becoming established is a step on the way to where you, and I, would like us to be.

True. I guess it's all on interpretation. For example Lard were established after 5 or 6 years in the Premier. 

I'm reading established as just plodding along content with our lot. 

Probably my misinterpretation. 

Gillingham are now established in League one having gone up with ourselves. A pretty much nothing team meandering between 10th and 18th every season. 

It wasn't a pop at you, just my different idea of what established is 

26 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

True. I guess it's all on interpretation. For example Lard were established after 5 or 6 years in the Premier. 

I'm reading established as just plodding along content with our lot. 

Probably my misinterpretation. 

Gillingham are now established in League one having gone up with ourselves. A pretty much nothing team meandering between 10th and 18th every season. 

It wasn't a pop at you, just my different idea of what established is 

Aren't words wonderful 🤠🤔

Becoming established for me is getting a settled squad and getting some results on the board.

Becoming a stronger, coherent unit.

Having a strong core, and add to it year on year.

We've lurched from crisis to crisis for far too long.

Recovering from that will take time.

Some excellent steps have already been taken, and the signs are positive.

However, I would be surprised if it all went smoothly, it's football!

Established to me is being stable, approx mid table  and not being involved in relegation battles during successive seasons.  Usually the base from which a promotion bid is made, but not necessarily as successive promotions are sometimes made, Leicester were Prem Champions after a relegation escape the previous season.  

Archived