Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

13 hours ago, sandyford_valiant said:

Harsh on montano in my opinion that is. When he played at wing back he drove forward very well and got up and down the pitch very well and crated goals. And he chipped in with a fair few as well. Something benning won’t do. When we had that great run towards the end of last season it was when he was back fit and playing every week. 

Totally agree mate the problem was though he was not fit very often 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

If we had a like for like instinctive striker similar to Tom Poep, neither I nor anyone else would be mentioning his name.  Unfortunately over the last 5/6 seasons, we haven't found anyone who has looked close to scoring at least a dozen goals each season. 

I was of the belief that Wilson would be like Pope, but he is nothing like him. Unbelievable to think Wilson had games in the Prem, scored in the Prem, yet Pope never played above league 1.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was of the belief that Wilson would be like Pope, but he is nothing like him. Unbelievable to think Wilson had games in the Prem, scored in the Prem, yet Pope never played above league 1.
Based on around 180 minutes of seeing him play? Jesus. Nowt like the snap judgment of a Vale fan
  • Like 1

Wilson’s never ever been a target man nor was it claimed he was a target man when he signed. So to have a comparison to pope in your head is just strange.
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, philmpv said:
20 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:
If we had a like for like instinctive striker similar to Tom Poep, neither I nor anyone else would be mentioning his name.  Unfortunately over the last 5/6 seasons, we haven't found anyone who has looked close to scoring at least a dozen goals each season. 

Erm, Rodney? Conlon?

Yes, they have in one season only--I'm saying we need a season after season consistent scorer as replacement for Tom Pope.  I have high hopes for Devante but after last season's great start he's not yet put one in the back of the net--fingers crossed he clicks again soon!

5 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

If he was that good, Salford surely would not have let him go?

Yes, they have in one season only--I'm saying we need a season after season consistent scorer as replacement for Tom Pope.  I have high hopes for Devante but after last season's great start he's not yet put one in the back of the net--fingers crossed he clicks again soon!
Plenty of time for Wilson and Rodney. Pope only did it 5 times in the league (scored over 10) out of 16 seasons. Rodneys done it once already. Wilson hasn't had hardly any full seasons in the FL

5 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Proctor is as close to a Pope type player in our squad. He can head a ball, hold the ball up, but he was quiet against Carlise. When he came on against Tranmere he had a great touch and skinned a player and moved the ball about on the counter. 

He drifted off to the left on Tuesday when I wanted him central. I'm sure one of the exercises in training will be Rodney and Woz's crosses into the box because so far this season 95% have looked like they have gone to the opposition.

6 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

I’m amazed Wilson has played and scored in the prem  on his showing so far early days I know maybe he prove to be a gem , 

Whether you like xG or not we have the highest of all the teams that are yet to score.

It has some flaws but in general it says we should have scored 3 or 4 goals so far this season.

It’s a shooting problem… nAF9F9CD9-6DE5-4E8B-A821-CE42BC5617EC.thumb.jpeg.33a50bf916e9d6e4635f30276a8fc309.jpegot a creating problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coyney Valiant said:

I’m amazed Wilson has played and scored in the prem  on his showing so far early days I know maybe he prove to be a gem

We keep playing the aimless balls in behind for him to close down or high balls which is not his game. He needs the ball to feet. Until we start playing to his strengths he is going to continue to look average in L2. There is no doubting he has superior technical ability above L2 level even over the 4 games so far.

• Like 1

We keep playing the aimless balls in behind for him to close down or high balls which is not his game. He needs the ball to feet. Until we start playing to his strengths he is going to continue to look average in L2. There is no doubting he has superior technical ability above L2 level even over the 4 games so far.
Exactly this. We'd be bemoaning the service if it was Pope, and we were lumping balls in behind for him to run on to. Play to his strengths and he will prosper

40 minutes ago, MBE said:

Agree MBE, Wilson has the skills and looks a good player but it's if he can get the intangibles right, being in the space where the ball drops and being composed and producing the finish when the ball falls to him in the box.

Scoring a few goals will do his confidence the world of good as for any striker and we all know the saying, "Strikers are judged on goals scored".

21 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

You can use the same analogy for Pope !! 

Pope's shoulder has gone, nigh on impossible to play his position or football at any decent level with a suspect/dodgy shoulder. 

37 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Pope's shoulder has gone, nigh on impossible to play his position or football at any decent level with a suspect/dodgy shoulder. 

But we should have given him a contract don't you know!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

But we should have given him a contract don't you know!

If he hadn't have injured his shoulder at Sunderland then my opinion is that he should have been given a contract, especially seeing the balls that Benning puts in the box and the long throws that Jones puts in the box, they're screaming out for a Pope like center forward.

Also If that had been Pope on the LH touchline and Worrall had made that run IMHO there's a much better chance that ball would have been played with better weight and landed at Worrall's feet compared to the ball Proctor played as we've been watching Pope play passes like that for donkeys years.  I'm not knocking Proctor as he looks a decent player and he will play good passes and link up play.

Please do not reply with "He doesn't score enough goals story" as the stats show for each season Tom Pope played in the league for Vale he scored a goal every approx. 270 mins (3 games). I reckon that's pretty good.:feedthepope:

Edited by Paul6754
  • Haha 2