Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

We are creating chances but at the moment we either take to many touches, not clinical or just not getting the rub of the green amoos shot on other occasions shoots of the keeper and flies in the net. I can't remember us hitting the bar or post this much. We've got the players to start getting wins. I thought it was harsh to boo its only the 3rd game in Saturday we applauded them the team need us to stay with them. Its early days

• Like 2

Advert:

2 hours ago, Old fort said:

So where do we currently sit in the balance of whole game set up and tactics versus team/player ability?

Back to the drawing board I think . I'm convinced overall we have the players to do well this season but tactics are just not utilising our players.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

If it’s any consolation, we are not the only teams who have struggled to score against Northampton and Tranmere.

27D851FA-BC7C-444B-9924-D253C7B28C4A.jpeg

That’s because those 2 and Carlisle are very likely 3 of the top 10 teams. 14 teams will not be (assuming we are in the top 10), and they’re coming up. I really don’t see the issue myself. We’re bedding in and we’ll get it together. 

Edited by 1

4 minutes ago, MBE said:

Back to the drawing board I think . I'm convinced overall we have the players to do well this season but tactics are just not utilising our players.

It’s better than having the tactics and not the players!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, windsorvale4ever said:

We are creating chances but at the moment we either take to many touches, not clinical or just not getting the rub of the green amoos shot on other occasions shoots of the keeper and flies in the net. I can't remember us hitting the bar or post this much. We've got the players to start getting wins. I thought it was harsh to boo its only the 3rd game in Saturday we applauded them the team need us to stay with them. Its early days

I think it depends, what you count as a 'chance'.

I don't expect us to create open chance after open chance after open chance, like we did at home against Oldham last season. But if you look at last night, the only two really open chances we created, were those Worrall had. Otherwise, we didn't create that open chance, just waiting for the tap in. All our other dangerous finishes, bar Amoo's, came from second balls or rebounds. And for the first time this season, I just went away with the thought, that I can't see us scoring. That's not to be negative, because I know they're working very very hard to put it right. But I just can't see what we're trying to do in our attacking play. There were tiny signs, and of course every team we come up against, will have a weak spot we can try to take advantage of. But we need to form our own attacking style, not always trying only to capitalize on the opponents weak spot. Which it seems like we're doing right now. 

We're not passing it around with purpose in the final third, cutting defences open, ending up with a clear cut chance. I know it comes down to relations on the pitch and that will take more than 3 or 4 games. But at the moment, I just can't see what we want to do on the final third. What is our style or concept, as it's called with a fancy word. 

We all want a 20 goal striker, but at the moment we could have Kane playing up top, and he would have a hard time scoring! We don't set our strikers up to score. We don't have that wide player or attacking midfielder, creating chances for them at the moment. I'm sure it will come in time, when relations fall into place and they learn each others movements etc. It has only been 3 league games to be fair.

Edited by Danish Valiant

Advert:

So we are judging Wilson , Proctor and Rodney on 3 games hmmmm. I think with better service some of the half chances would be converted . It looks horrible at the moment as the midfield is unbalanced we’re playing 2 holding midfielders and Pett .So there’s no dynamism or creatively  from the No8 role Conlon or Taylor would sort this . But I agree it’s crying out for 433 .

Wow - we do have some Moaning Minnies on here, don't we? When will you muppets realise that, if 3 or 4 players miss sitters, hit the woodwork or have shots blocked it doesn't matter what the system is - it's still a player not scoring rather than any combination of 10 numbers at fault??

13 hours ago, sandyford_valiant said:

Harsh on montano in my opinion that is. When he played at wing back he drove forward very well and got up and down the pitch very well and crated goals. And he chipped in with a fair few as well. Something benning won’t do. When we had that great run towards the end of last season it was when he was back fit and playing every week. 

Totally agree mate the problem was though he was not fit very often 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

If we had a like for like instinctive striker similar to Tom Poep, neither I nor anyone else would be mentioning his name.  Unfortunately over the last 5/6 seasons, we haven't found anyone who has looked close to scoring at least a dozen goals each season. 

I was of the belief that Wilson would be like Pope, but he is nothing like him. Unbelievable to think Wilson had games in the Prem, scored in the Prem, yet Pope never played above league 1.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was of the belief that Wilson would be like Pope, but he is nothing like him. Unbelievable to think Wilson had games in the Prem, scored in the Prem, yet Pope never played above league 1.
Based on around 180 minutes of seeing him play? Jesus. Nowt like the snap judgment of a Vale fan
  • Like 1

Advert:

Wilson’s never ever been a target man nor was it claimed he was a target man when he signed. So to have a comparison to pope in your head is just strange.
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, philmpv said:
20 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:
If we had a like for like instinctive striker similar to Tom Poep, neither I nor anyone else would be mentioning his name.  Unfortunately over the last 5/6 seasons, we haven't found anyone who has looked close to scoring at least a dozen goals each season. 

Erm, Rodney? Conlon?

Yes, they have in one season only--I'm saying we need a season after season consistent scorer as replacement for Tom Pope.  I have high hopes for Devante but after last season's great start he's not yet put one in the back of the net--fingers crossed he clicks again soon!

5 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

If he was that good, Salford surely would not have let him go?

Yes, they have in one season only--I'm saying we need a season after season consistent scorer as replacement for Tom Pope.  I have high hopes for Devante but after last season's great start he's not yet put one in the back of the net--fingers crossed he clicks again soon!
Plenty of time for Wilson and Rodney. Pope only did it 5 times in the league (scored over 10) out of 16 seasons. Rodneys done it once already. Wilson hasn't had hardly any full seasons in the FL

5 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Proctor is as close to a Pope type player in our squad. He can head a ball, hold the ball up, but he was quiet against Carlise. When he came on against Tranmere he had a great touch and skinned a player and moved the ball about on the counter. 

He drifted off to the left on Tuesday when I wanted him central. I'm sure one of the exercises in training will be Rodney and Woz's crosses into the box because so far this season 95% have looked like they have gone to the opposition.

Advert:

6 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

I’m amazed Wilson has played and scored in the prem  on his showing so far early days I know maybe he prove to be a gem , 

1 hour ago, Coyney Valiant said:

I’m amazed Wilson has played and scored in the prem  on his showing so far early days I know maybe he prove to be a gem

We keep playing the aimless balls in behind for him to close down or high balls which is not his game. He needs the ball to feet. Until we start playing to his strengths he is going to continue to look average in L2. There is no doubting he has superior technical ability above L2 level even over the 4 games so far.

• Like 1