Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

Posted (edited)

Things that were / are blatantly  obvious and many said before the season started. 

1) 352 always becomes 532. Unless your a top side it always happens. Change it. 

2) Rodney is better out wide than up top. 

3) Worrall is wasted and does not work at RWB. 

DC just got to a back 4 for the next game please. We’re overly defensive and don’t need to be. We have signed some great players. Let them play, if we lose, we lose. We will win more than we lose. All of the above is solved by go going back to 433 / 4321. 

Edited by valiant_593
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

He’s comfortable as a kick it and head it centre half. When he’s right as a back 3 he’s expected to carry the ball out, retain possession and offer to attacks. That cross at the end summed it up. 

What, you think Smithy with one  cross playing out of position was the problem? How many  crosses did we have from players who's job it is to cross that landed on target?

He's also  came closest for us with an over head kick against the bar, and an assister for the sitter against Northampton that Rodders missed.

Give the guy a break.

Edited by toyahw
  • Thanks 1

Lots of talking points about the performance but I have ask how the hell the shot that came off their keeper and hit the post managed to stay out of their goal I’ve no idea.  Talk about fine margins.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rider1308 said:

Rather win a football match based on ability rather than having to rely on luck !!!!! ☹️

I think the squad has the ability but just needs a little rub of the green to get the monkey of the back. The longer we go without a goal the more of an issue it becomes and breeds low confidence into the playing squad.

I’m still hopeful that with another addition and with a few changes to the formation that we will get there in the end.

it is way too early to be writing ourselves off with the first 3 games.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, toyahw said:

What, you think Smithy with one  cross playing out of position was the problem? How many  crosses did we have from players who's job it is to cross that landed on target?

He's also  came closest for us with an over head kick against the bar, and an assister for the sitter against Northampton that Rodders missed.

Give the guy a break.

Where have I said he’s solely the problem? Him playing out of position as well as Worrall, is clearly becoming a problem. His distribution is never going to be his strongest attribute.

Not sure what game you watched at Northampton but Rodney crossed the ball to Wilson who missed. 

A bit too early to panic but we certainly look a little disjointed. Our build up play is way too slow and quite often ended up with a hoof from the back after playing it sideways and backwards.

Too many bad touches and waisthigh passes. I'm sure we are playing a different way than we were when on the good run towards the end of last season. Maybe being there in person instead of watching the stream clouds my judgement but something just doesn't seem right.

Only brief glimpses of urgency and passion in the game, not at all like I expected us to play

As I said too early to start panicking but we need to be on the front foot at home otherwise the buzz will fade rapidly

11 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Further point - the match sponsors must have been on the Pinot Noir to give Rodney MOTM!

Phil, totally agree. I thought Legg was perhaps our MOTM due to his aerial dominance. However we all see things differently.

• Like 1

Personally I think the performances have been much better this season, the extra quality of the players is abundantly clear, we all knew before a ball was kicked that we still lack a prolific goal scorer, but we’ve had some hard luck with hitting the woodwork 4 times in a week and a couple of decent penalty shouts waved away, all we need is one to go in off someone’s backside.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Phil, totally agree. I thought Legg was perhaps our MOTM due to his aerial dominance. However we all see things differently.

Toss up between Legge and Jones for me.

1 minute ago, sandyford_valiant said:

We won’t! Simple as that. 

Yep, we've scored 17 goals in 21 games under DC.  Zero in five. We don't have any strikers with any goal scoring history. Or look like scoring. We create very few chances. We'll 0-0 ourselves to safety. Great.

• Like 1

Personally I think the performances have been much better this season, the extra quality of the players is abundantly clear, we all knew before a ball was kicked that we still lack a prolific goal scorer, but we’ve had some hard luck with hitting the woodwork 4 times in a week and a couple of decent penalty shouts waved away, all we need is one to go in off someone’s backside.
Totally agree, we look a lot better team than last season, just that last, and most important piece of the jigsaw missing, goals!!!