onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Never said he wasn't. Just sick of reading about him on threads that have nothing to do with him. Don't be silly enough to conflate 'talk about Pope in Port Vale Past' with 'Pope was a bad player', as that's silly. 

Pope was a cracking player, Not for the last few seasons. Sadly, he became a waste of resources.

Thankfully, we've moved on. Let's get back to talking about who can't score for us at the moment.

Advert

14 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Jacko, I don't know why I chewed on your response 'cause we've been over this many times.

Every season Tom Pope was at Vale, even the last season, he scored a goal every approx 270 mins he was on the pitch in the league. The reason in season 2020/21 his goals to games ratio was low is that in a few of those games he was only bought on for a minute at the end of the game but that minute counts as one game in the total game count. Yep the stats surprised me also but they don't lie.

The two goals against Southend were particularly important but they were worth 6 points to Vale during the bad run and before the winning streak as if we had lost/drawn to Southend we would have been closer to them points wise and the phsychology in the Vale team could have been very different as with that win we had a cushion.

I remember some interest from Scunthorpe (?) in Jan 2021 and Tom Pope said in a Sentinel article that some clubs had contacted him about a trial/discussion after his release but he felt the injury to/state of his shoulder would make it difficult to get another contract with a league club.

Tom Pope with a good shoulder is still as good a target man as there is in Lge 2 even given his age, Tom Pope with a knackered shoulder can't play lge football or perhaps any level of football close to what he's been used to.

Anyway, Tom Pope sadly is history, what's going on with Jake Taylor, any idea.

The two goals against Southend we worth three points, not six. 

On 19/08/2021 at 10:54, Jacob_123 said:

Wilson’s never ever been a target man nor was it claimed he was a target man when he signed. So to have a comparison to pope in your head is just strange.

He took Pope’s squad number and I presume he was brought in to score goals. If he isn’t able to do that, then I think we have found the problem.

In the games he has played he has jogged around a bit looking to get into positions to score but nobody has supplied him. Not his fault. 

However he isn’t seemingly a “poacher”, he doesn’t seem to be able to create his own chances as the top guys can and as yet isn’t proving to be a lynchpin for Rodney. 

So I do question what the point of him is? 

3 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

He took Pope’s squad number and I presume he was brought in to score goals. If he isn’t able to do that, then I think we have found the problem.

In the games he has played he has jogged around a bit looking to get into positions to score but nobody has supplied him. Not his fault. 

However he isn’t seemingly a “poacher”, he doesn’t seem to be able to create his own chances as the top guys can and as yet isn’t proving to be a lynchpin for Rodney. 

So I do question what the point of him is? 

It’s been 4 games. Let players settle in instead of writing them off straight away. Wilson has never been nor will he ever be a target man. Just because he has popes squad number Dosent mean he’s been signed to play like pope. 

Obviously he’s been signed to score goals, which he scored more of than pope last season. Give him a chance. I still think he and Rodney will both be around the 15 mark this season and proctor around 10 

On 19/08/2021 at 14:43, philmpv said:

Plenty of time for Wilson and Rodney. Pope only did it 5 times in the league (scored over 10) out of 16 seasons. Rodneys done it once already. Wilson hasn't had hardly any full seasons in the FL

You're correct of course and I'm not in panic mode yet, but currently it's hard to see where goals are likely to come from.  As I've said before, let's hope that I'm wrong and we net a hatful tomorrow!

Archived