onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

Advert

3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

But we should have given him a contract don't you know!

If he hadn't have injured his shoulder at Sunderland then my opinion is that he should have been given a contract, especially seeing the balls that Benning puts in the box and the long throws that Jones puts in the box, they're screaming out for a Pope like center forward.

Also If that had been Pope on the LH touchline and Worrall had made that run IMHO there's a much better chance that ball would have been played with better weight and landed at Worrall's feet compared to the ball Proctor played as we've been watching Pope play passes like that for donkeys years.  I'm not knocking Proctor as he looks a decent player and he will play good passes and link up play.

Please do not reply with "He doesn't score enough goals story" as the stats show for each season Tom Pope played in the league for Vale he scored a goal every approx. 270 mins (3 games). I reckon that's pretty good.:feedthepope:

25 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

If he hadn't have injured his shoulder at Sunderland then my opinion is that he should have been given a contract, especially seeing the balls that Benning puts in the box and the long throws that Jones puts in the box, they're screaming out for a Pope like center forward.

Also If that had been Pope on the LH touchline and Worrall had made that run IMHO there's a much better chance that ball would have been played with better weight and landed at Worrall's feet compared to the ball Proctor played as we've been watching Pope play passes like that for donkeys years.  I'm not knocking Proctor as he looks a decent player and he will play good passes and link up play.

Please do not reply with "He doesn't score enough goals story" as the stats show for each season Tom Pope played in the league for Vale he scored a goal every approx. 270 mins (3 games). I reckon that's pretty good.:feedthepope:

Over his career I agree with you Paul. The point is that in the last couple of seasons he hasn’t scored at anything like that rate. He scored 3 goals last season, 2 against relegated Southend and 1 against Walsall. All good things come to an end and I fear it had come to an end for Tom.

There are 71 other teams in the Football League and 24 in the National League. It seems that none of them thought he was worth a contract so I think it’s a bit daft to think that we should have kept him. 

7 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Over his career I agree with you Paul. The point is that in the last couple of seasons he hasn’t scored at anything like that rate. He scored 3 goals last season, 2 against relegated Southend and 1 against Walsall. All good things come to an end and I fear it had come to an end for Tom.

There are 71 other teams in the Football League and 24 in the National League. It seems that none of them thought he was worth a contract so I think it’s a bit daft to think that we should have kept him. 

Jacko, I don't know why I chewed on your response 'cause we've been over this many times.

Every season Tom Pope was at Vale, even the last season, he scored a goal every approx 270 mins he was on the pitch in the league. The reason in season 2020/21 his goals to games ratio was low is that in a few of those games he was only bought on for a minute at the end of the game but that minute counts as one game in the total game count. Yep the stats surprised me also but they don't lie.

The two goals against Southend were particularly important but they were worth 6 points to Vale during the bad run and before the winning streak as if we had lost/drawn to Southend we would have been closer to them points wise and the phsychology in the Vale team could have been very different as with that win we had a cushion.

I remember some interest from Scunthorpe (?) in Jan 2021 and Tom Pope said in a Sentinel article that some clubs had contacted him about a trial/discussion after his release but he felt the injury to/state of his shoulder would make it difficult to get another contract with a league club.

Tom Pope with a good shoulder is still as good a target man as there is in Lge 2 even given his age, Tom Pope with a knackered shoulder can't play lge football or perhaps any level of football close to what he's been used to.

Anyway, Tom Pope sadly is history, what's going on with Jake Taylor, any idea.

Please, I am begging lads and lasses, enough of Tom Pope. Lad is barely semi-professional anymore. I've played with/against lads who are now up against Pope and I was absolutely torrid at football. I was an absolute dog, pure pony, and was on a competitive level with lads who are marking Pope this season. You might as well bang on about signing Tim Grice from Leek as he plunders goals at a better level than Pope at a younger age. Trickett-Smith runs rings around Pope's current team. Farcical.

Sick of it. 

Move on! Please! No more! Cease and desist! 

5 hours ago, Joe B said:

Please, I am begging lads and lasses, enough of Tom Pope. Lad is barely semi-professional anymore. I've played with/against lads who are now up against Pope and I was absolutely torrid at football. I was an absolute dog, pure pony, and was on a competitive level with lads who are marking Pope this season. You might as well bang on about signing Tim Grice from Leek as he plunders goals at a better level than Pope at a younger age. Trickett-Smith runs rings around Pope's current team. Farcical.

Sick of it. 

Move on! Please! No more! Cease and desist! 

You’re an absolute dog, pure pony  as a writer as well. Pope is a legend. UTV 

7 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Don’t read it Joe if you don’t like it. I find everyone’s views interesting, even the Zebra’s. Looking forward to the podcast later to hear how the legend was handled by Billy Big Balls when he left us. 

To be fair to Joe it's impossible not to read .

I made a lengthy post about Pope and what a great career he had at Vale in probably May when he left. 

It's been done to death, every thread has something about him. I'm sick of reading about his shoulder. I've got news , he was a busted flush prior to shoulder injury. 

So far Carlisle and Stevenage threads have been infiltrated by stuff that should be in ' Port Vale past ' . 

Why can't folk accept he's left, it's gone, he's not coming back. It's over. Thanks for some amazing moments, we move on. 

It's akin to a 14 year old pining over their first love moving onto someone else. 

And it's no use saying put on ignore as there's not just lone voices.

I want to read about thoughts on Carlisle and Stevenage not about what someone might of done were they still in the team. 

It's boring now . If they love him so much get down Congleton on Sunday and watch him in the Lee Collins fundraising game. 

8 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

To be fair to Joe it's impossible not to read .

I made a lengthy post about Pope and what a great career he had at Vale in probably May when he left. 

It's been done to death, every thread has something about him. I'm sick of reading about his shoulder. I've got news , he was a busted flush prior to shoulder injury. 

So far Carlisle and Stevenage threads have been infiltrated by stuff that should be in ' Port Vale past ' . 

Why can't folk accept he's left, it's gone, he's not coming back. It's over. Thanks for some amazing moments, we move on. 

It's akin to a 14 year old pining over their first love moving onto someone else. 

And it's no use saying put on ignore as there's not just lone voices.

I want to read about thoughts on Carlisle and Stevenage not about what someone might of done were they still in the team. 

It's boring now . If they love him so much get down Congleton on Sunday and watch him in the Lee Collins fundraising game. 

Well bleeding said 👏🏻👏🏻

10 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Move on. Go watch congleton if your that bothered. He’s past it. 

40 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Don’t read it Joe if you don’t like it. I find everyone’s views interesting, even the Zebra’s. Looking forward to the podcast later to hear how the legend was handled by Billy Big Balls when he left us. 

What's it got to to with a thread on Port Vale v Carlisle, Dave? 

He's playing at a poor standard of non-league football.

We need to move on. If people want to discuss Pope, there's a Port Vale Past section of the forum, which is where he belongs.

3 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

You’re an absolute dog, pure pony  as a writer as well. Pope is a legend. UTV 

Never said he wasn't. Just sick of reading about him on threads that have nothing to do with him. Don't be silly enough to conflate 'talk about Pope in Port Vale Past' with 'Pope was a bad player', as that's silly. 

Archived