onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

12 minutes ago, bomber said:

I think a little harsh on Worrall yes he missed a couple but some of the balls he put into the box especially second half were sumptuous, a decent striker would have put one or two away. But I Agee with your assessment in the main

Did he? I genuinely can't recall him putting any good balls into the box last night. Though we're not exactly blessed with forwards that excel in the air anyway.

Advert

Only things to say about last night performance are Vale are making chances and surely some will eventually go in and the defense looks solid. Walker has got to watch his positioning if he plays the holding midfield role, he nearly cost us a goal on the counter a couple of times last night.

Perhaps Politic will provide the spark and clear chances and the  new striker will kick start the goal scoring.

Two tricky games coming up and Vale could do with registering a win asap.

What the heck has happened to Jake Taylor, he's fallen off the radar. Is his injury bad enough to keep keep him out of the whole pre-season and the first 3 games of the season, must be significant if so.

8 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

If we are after a 20 goal a season striker Tom Pope is not the man - it has taken him the last three seasons to get to 20. This time last year he hadn’t even been on the pitch due to his social media exploits. He was one of the reasons we lost to Carlisle when he missed a penalty. Two of his three League goals last year were against relegated Southend. Even before his injury he didn’t look fit.

Tom Pope will always be a legend at this club and I will be forever grateful to him for what he did in a Vale shirt but giving him a contract this season to watch him lumbering about and moaning at refs would have been cruel - despite what his mates in the pub say on Facebook. 

If we had a like for like instinctive striker similar to Tom Poep, neither I nor anyone else would be mentioning his name.  Unfortunately over the last 5/6 seasons, we haven't found anyone who has looked close to scoring at least a dozen goals each season. 

If we had a like for like instinctive striker similar to Tom Poep, neither I nor anyone else would be mentioning his name.  Unfortunately over the last 5/6 seasons, we haven't found anyone who has looked close to scoring at least a dozen goals each season. 
Erm, Rodney? Conlon?

56 minutes ago, bomber said:

I think a little harsh on Worrall yes he missed a couple but some of the balls he put into the box especially second half were sumptuous, a decent striker would have put one or two away. But I Agee with your assessment in the main

I agree Bomber, the ball wouldn't drop for the two chances he latched onto and the defender just managed to clear, the 2nd one I thought he was going to <ovf censored> over the goalie but the ball just didn't sit right and the defender got a toe on it.

The one disaster was when Worrall make the superb run through the middle but Proctor played an abysmal ball, it was hit  miles too hard and Worrall didn't have a chance to get near hit.

IMHO the criticism of Worrall last night was not warranted, he gave 110% and got in some great positions all whilst patrolling the whole of Vale's right wing.

I wish DC would stop playing 3 at the back and play Worrall further up the pitch, it's a crime against Port vale FC and David Worrall!!!

5 hours ago, MBE said:

Really? I think he's worked really hard each time he's played and has been a little unlucky not too score but here's my problem....... We keep playing long balls to him and thats not his game.  We need to be playing balls into his feet in between the lines to build the attack draw the CB's out of position for others to exploit. He needs a bit of time to form a strike a partnership with Proctor.

So where do we currently sit in the balance of whole game set up and tactics versus team/player ability?

We are creating chances but at the moment we either take to many touches, not clinical or just not getting the rub of the green amoos shot on other occasions shoots of the keeper and flies in the net. I can't remember us hitting the bar or post this much. We've got the players to start getting wins. I thought it was harsh to boo its only the 3rd game in Saturday we applauded them the team need us to stay with them. Its early days

2 hours ago, Old fort said:

So where do we currently sit in the balance of whole game set up and tactics versus team/player ability?

Back to the drawing board I think . I'm convinced overall we have the players to do well this season but tactics are just not utilising our players.

55 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

If it’s any consolation, we are not the only teams who have struggled to score against Northampton and Tranmere.

27D851FA-BC7C-444B-9924-D253C7B28C4A.jpeg

That’s because those 2 and Carlisle are very likely 3 of the top 10 teams. 14 teams will not be (assuming we are in the top 10), and they’re coming up. I really don’t see the issue myself. We’re bedding in and we’ll get it together. 

4 minutes ago, MBE said:

Back to the drawing board I think . I'm convinced overall we have the players to do well this season but tactics are just not utilising our players.

It’s better than having the tactics and not the players!

1 hour ago, windsorvale4ever said:

We are creating chances but at the moment we either take to many touches, not clinical or just not getting the rub of the green amoos shot on other occasions shoots of the keeper and flies in the net. I can't remember us hitting the bar or post this much. We've got the players to start getting wins. I thought it was harsh to boo its only the 3rd game in Saturday we applauded them the team need us to stay with them. Its early days

I think it depends, what you count as a 'chance'.

I don't expect us to create open chance after open chance after open chance, like we did at home against Oldham last season. But if you look at last night, the only two really open chances we created, were those Worrall had. Otherwise, we didn't create that open chance, just waiting for the tap in. All our other dangerous finishes, bar Amoo's, came from second balls or rebounds. And for the first time this season, I just went away with the thought, that I can't see us scoring. That's not to be negative, because I know they're working very very hard to put it right. But I just can't see what we're trying to do in our attacking play. There were tiny signs, and of course every team we come up against, will have a weak spot we can try to take advantage of. But we need to form our own attacking style, not always trying only to capitalize on the opponents weak spot. Which it seems like we're doing right now. 

We're not passing it around with purpose in the final third, cutting defences open, ending up with a clear cut chance. I know it comes down to relations on the pitch and that will take more than 3 or 4 games. But at the moment, I just can't see what we want to do on the final third. What is our style or concept, as it's called with a fancy word. 

We all want a 20 goal striker, but at the moment we could have Kane playing up top, and he would have a hard time scoring! We don't set our strikers up to score. We don't have that wide player or attacking midfielder, creating chances for them at the moment. I'm sure it will come in time, when relations fall into place and they learn each others movements etc. It has only been 3 league games to be fair.

So we are judging Wilson , Proctor and Rodney on 3 games hmmmm. I think with better service some of the half chances would be converted . It looks horrible at the moment as the midfield is unbalanced we’re playing 2 holding midfielders and Pett .So there’s no dynamism or creatively  from the No8 role Conlon or Taylor would sort this . But I agree it’s crying out for 433 .

Archived