onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

It's all very well setting up not to concede, but we have over 1,000 signed up junior Valiants. Just how many goal less games completely lacking in goalmouth excitement do they have to witness before their Dad or Mother hear the words 'do I have to go, it's boring'.

Until they are about 10, dont they just boot a bottle up and down the concourse anyway?

Advert

2 hours ago, MBE said:

Really? I think he's worked really hard each time he's played and has been a little unlucky not too score but here's my problem....... We keep playing long balls to him and thats not his game.  We need to be playing balls into his feet in between the lines to build the attack draw the CB's out of position for others to exploit. He needs a bit of time to form a strike a partnership with Proctor.

I agree with your post MBE , but he seems to have gone down the line of either / or with Wilson and Proctor. 

In the 3 league games they have not played a single minute on the pitch at the same time

Northampton Wilson off Proctor on 75 mins

Tranmere Wilson off Proctor on 70 mins

Carlisle Proctor off Wilson on 67 mins

Each game has followed a similar route with the starter being the sacrificial lamb.

Not good for continuity or confidence. 

Conlon back and we go up 3 gears.

If we don’t have him we need to change the formation and personnel, as there’s no goal threat from midfield without him.

Simply swapping Garrity in for Conlon is not going to cut it, as they play differently and offer different attributes.

Wait until his team plays against the likes of Oldham, Colchester, Walsall, Barrow; the teams that regardless of their starts will be down there at the end. We’ve had a tough start fixtures wise and I’m confident when we’ve settled in to the season, we’re into September and playing with confidence and a settled team, this squad will show their undoubted quality. The defence is solid as a rock, and we could play a full defence off the bench to keep clean sheets if needed. We’re not far off and for me top 7 will be achieved this season. When all is said and done, we will finish in the top 7.

5 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

How anyone can have a go at Worrall is beyond belief for me. He puts in a shift every game and definitely one of our best players if not the best at the club. 

It’s like taking a track-running Olympian, chucking them in the pool and expecting them to swim to gold, and saying he’s a <ovf censored> Olympian if he can’t.

There’s no point in playing him in a 433 in the correct position after an hour of sprinting up and down all game defending. How’s he going to put his best attacking effort in then?

makes no sense, will never make any sense.

6 minutes ago, 1 said:

Wait until his team plays against the likes of Oldham, Colchester, Walsall, Barrow; the teams that regardless of their starts will be down there at the end. We’ve had a tough start fixtures wise and I’m confident when we’ve settled in to the season, we’re into September and playing with confidence and a settled team, this squad will show their undoubted quality. The defence is solid as a rock, and we could play a full defence off the bench to keep clean sheets if needed. We’re not far off and for me top 7 will be achieved this season. When all is said and done, we will finish in the top 7.

Sounds to me more like a mid table sort of thing like last. Beating the lower clubs is never a given in this league and given how well Clarke started with the old squad, it was reasonable to hope with his own, he would do better. 

Most clubs defend reasonably well and most of our games are low scoring. The promoted teams are the ones that can rattle off 3/4 wins without much effort. 

5 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Enlighten me. What chances did our strikers have last night?

Not a hatful that’s for sure, but you could flip it any way you like.  I’d say last night you could look at the strikers themselves as much as the formation, or for that matter anything else you’d like to focus on.  Did you think that the strikers played well enough?  Did they take up great positions?  Did they hold the ball and link up well?  They have to create opportunities, not just wait for a great cross to drop on their head, or a perfect through ball to tap in.

3 hours ago, MBE said:

Do you think he is a LWB? I don't think he is. Whenever I remember him playing against us for Mansfield he played LB. Solid enough defensively but very dangerous offensively with overlapping runs using the LM to put crosses in 1st time to good effect. To me he doesn't looked comfortable at all playing LWB where you need a ball carrier like Monty was. I just think we need to go to a back 4 with him a LB.

I think the players we have now are better than Monty in any position. Frankly Monty did like a dribble but his crossing was consistently poor. Most the time the outcome of a Monty dribble was a goalkick.

Last season lost both home games v last 2 opponents and in particular the way we lost in both games was extremely poor .

We didn't even concede a goal at times first half last night we looked like we might but second half tightened up significantly and didn't look like conceding at all POSITIVE. 

So that's 2 points more than last season already must say L Legge was outstanding .

Here's my marks 

Covalan 7 few routine saves gets off his line commands his box like him his kicking is good but no use kicking ball in the air to Rodney or Wilson as they never win a damn thing .

Smith 7 hit bar did defensive  job well not particularly good on the ball though and noticed him wandering off out of position at times ,you think from.them long throws he would get on the end of one but no doesn't do enough in opposition penalty area.

Legge 8 star man won everything a leader tremendous player .

Benning 5 underwhelming seems scared go past anyone and tobe honest there right back Carlisles that is first half had too much room for my liking hopefully he improves a big fan of Montano he would do a lot more and be more positive.

Jones 7 like him plays lovely balls and does his job well .

Garrity 5 ran around a lot should have scored twice once with a free header and from a corner think it was him who's shot was blocked more composure required put it in the corner .

Pett 5 got better as game went on but first half game bypassed him somewhat .

Walker 7 put two terrific balls through which should have led to 2 goals for Worrall everyone should be raving about him today as he puts challenges  in also, if the chances were taken that is .

Worrall 5 had one of them nights where he was getting in right areas but was too slow too finish or to put that ball in what as to put away ,worked hard though as always but is lacking the finish his delaying cost do not delay David smash the ball in at all times .

Proctor 6 like him thought when he got it he kept it didn't get the ball enough for me but certainly out of all the forwards signed is a good team player (not necessarily the best on paper but enjoying his efforts )disappointed see him replaced I'd have replaced Worrall or one of the midfield trio personally .

Rodney 6 frustrating night again he looks like he is going do something then more often than not doesn't with his pace he should be going at people and trying win free kicks around the box penalties etc I mean yesterday after good work from a long ball where proctors headed on he is one and one with the last defender yet he as managed balls it up MUST DO A LOT BETTER. 

Sub 

Wilson 5 hardly noticed him 

19 minutes ago, Warren said:

I think the players we have now are better than Monty in any position. Frankly Monty did like a dribble but his crossing was consistently poor. Most the time the outcome of a Monty dribble was a goalkick.

Harsh on montano in my opinion that is. When he played at wing back he drove forward very well and got up and down the pitch very well and crated goals. And he chipped in with a fair few as well. Something benning won’t do. When we had that great run towards the end of last season it was when he was back fit and playing every week. 

26 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Last season lost both home games v last 2 opponents and in particular the way we lost in both games was extremely poor .

We didn't even concede a goal at times first half last night we looked like we might but second half tightened up significantly and didn't look like conceding at all POSITIVE. 

So that's 2 points more than last season already must say L Legge was outstanding .

Here's my marks 

Covalan 7 few routine saves gets off his line commands his box like him his kicking is good but no use kicking ball in the air to Rodney or Wilson as they never win a damn thing .

Smith 7 hit bar did defensive  job well not particularly good on the ball though and noticed him wandering off out of position at times ,you think from.them long throws he would get on the end of one but no doesn't do enough in opposition penalty area.

Legge 8 star man won everything a leader tremendous player .

Benning 5 underwhelming seems scared go past anyone and tobe honest there right back Carlisles that is first half had too much room for my liking hopefully he improves a big fan of Montano he would do a lot more and be more positive.

Jones 7 like him plays lovely balls and does his job well .

Garrity 5 ran around a lot should have scored twice once with a free header and from a corner think it was him who's shot was blocked more composure required put it in the corner .

Pett 5 got better as game went on but first half game bypassed him somewhat .

Walker 7 put two terrific balls through which should have led to 2 goals for Worrall everyone should be raving about him today as he puts challenges  in also, if the chances were taken that is .

Worrall 5 had one of them nights where he was getting in right areas but was too slow too finish or to put that ball in what as to put away ,worked hard though as always but is lacking the finish his delaying cost do not delay David smash the ball in at all times .

Proctor 6 like him thought when he got it he kept it didn't get the ball enough for me but certainly out of all the forwards signed is a good team player (not necessarily the best on paper but enjoying his efforts )disappointed see him replaced I'd have replaced Worrall or one of the midfield trio personally .

Rodney 6 frustrating night again he looks like he is going do something then more often than not doesn't with his pace he should be going at people and trying win free kicks around the box penalties etc I mean yesterday after good work from a long ball where proctors headed on he is one and one with the last defender yet he as managed balls it up MUST DO A LOT BETTER. 

Sub 

Wilson 5 hardly noticed him 

I think a little harsh on Worrall yes he missed a couple but some of the balls he put into the box especially second half were sumptuous, a decent striker would have put one or two away. But I Agee with your assessment in the main

Yesterday was a mixed bag for me.

First half was more or less even, both sides threatening but neither grabbing a goal.

Second half was better. It reminded me of the home game against Oldham last year - chance after chance but no-one there to finish it off. I don't think another striker is the answer. Proctor played well in the first half and I was surprised to see him removed. Wilson didn't do a lot as his replacement and he's not so good at holding up the ball. Rodders had plenty of the ball but didn't do much with it. Seemed like he would rather take the extra touch than pull the trigger. The shot that bloke has is amazing - surprised he doesn't use it more often.

Legge was immense again and must pose somewhat of a headache for Clarke.

Garrity isn't a straight swap with Conlon in terms of his role in the team, but he runs and runs and has defensive value further up the field. Walker looked good on the ball with a couple of sexy passes. Pett keeps it ticking over but got caught in possession more that he should for an experienced midfielder.

Shape-wise I felt like we were screaming out for a 4-3-3 once we got on top. As mentioned already, Worrall in a more attacking role isn't so effective once he's played 60 minutes at wingback and his delivery wasn't as good as it usually is. Amoo provided a threat when he came on but I can't see him starting many games. Seems much more like an impact sub.

Strikers win games, defences win titles. I'm not worried.

Archived