onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

My overall impression is that we look solid defensively, which is often a springboard.

We may well be decent on our travels based on this.

I thought that 352 relied on ball playing defenders/ keeper, and playing through the midfield.

But, the defensive solidity is again based around Legge and Smith, who do not fit this mould, and Cov has largely resorted to launching it.

Midfield is not retaining possession for long enough periods either.

So the system isn't really working.

We spluttered into action a few times last night, but there were lengthy periods where it just wasn't clicking.

Advert

Too early to judge but that shouldn't stop us trying - we are supporters after all.

I have enjoyed the two home games for different reasons, v Tranmere I thought both sides looked good, vs Carlisle it was a challenge for us to wrest the initiative from them after a strangely muted stand-offish start but I thought by the end of the game we were the team more likely.

Probably 2 draws were fair results.

We don't have as much possession as other teams at home (not a big deal in league 2)) however we do create opportunities (definite positive) but I don't think we have created a situation where we can say say that a player should definitely have scored and we haven't created a single 1 v 1 on the keeper which usually indicates a lack of guile in the central areas of the pitch (missing Conlon ?)

I think we ll be able to put more passes together away from home as other teams push on us a bit more and we ll certainly be hard to score against so I haven't given up on getting a couple of good results from our next away games.

Midfield 3 last night for us all lack pace and there isn't any of them that want to get in behind the oppositions defence to give us an extra attacking option even if it creates space for others rather than themselves.: for me that's a concern along with how to get the best out of our 5 attack minded players Wilson, Proctor, Rodney, Worrall and Amoo especially if we sign another forward on top of the winger we ve just signed on loan

But lets see where we are after 10 games. I just don't see us playing as badly as some people on here are describing: at least at the moment anyway.

It's all very well setting up not to concede, but we have over 1,000 signed up junior Valiants. Just how many goal less games completely lacking in goalmouth excitement do they have to witness before their Dad or Mother hear the words 'do I have to go, it's boring'.

Guest Vale at home
1 hour ago, CambridgeDon said:

Spot on.

Well said. I agree totally with you .  Vale needs to  start getting  some Goals  . You only win games if you can score Goals. 

Guest Vale at home
2 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

We huffed and we puffed, we look solid. No one is going to hammer us but we are goal shy. Agree its not all down to the strikers, they need more chances. Alan Shearer in his prime might get 2 chances in a game and would score 1 or 2 goals. A league 2 free transfer striker might need 5/6 chances to do the same. 

It therefore defies logic to put Wozza our best creator of chances and the 2nd best in League 2 last season on defensive duty. Our defence looks sound, let Wozza do what he does best. It would appear that is what we need more of.

Well Said. I agree with you totally. Vale needs to start scoring some s Goals . And only Goals. That wins  Games  . Come on the vale Good Luck for Saturday. .. 

1 hour ago, Vale1995 said:

Feel like I could copy and paste my post from after the tranmere game. When that one goal goes in i think we will be fine

One player i have been slightly disappointed in so far not writing him off as only three games but think mel benning has been really poor so far. seems a bit lightweight and not really effected the games in anyway. The only reason why picked him out as there was a lot of hype around him signing. Hopefully he will improve and like i said no way am i writing him off- just an observation from what ive seen so far

Strange one benning is. From when we signed him I thought we were getting a potential top league one player (that’s what the Mansfield fans said) or do they just like him because he scored against Chesterfield and he’s a bit of an hero there? He’s certainly nothing to shout about early days is he. I’d choose montano over him put it that way if he was still at the club. 
we have to keep plugging away whether that’s a formation change or not, but we have to have some luck soon surely abs when we do those chances go in last night. Disappointed in Worrall so far. He works his socks off but in key areas he really needs to sharpen up. We had a couple of times last night where if sharper then we probably score and it’s a different game. Rodney is another. He burst past the fullback a few times last night then stopped and let their players get back. Key decisions are letting us down. 

I also don’t think Pett Walker or garrity (if he plays) won’t ever get goals with what I’ve seen of them. Garrity burst into the box last night once and should’ve planted that header away but that was all he did for me. We desperately need Conlon back to give us the spark higher up the pitch. The forwards will need to score 35 goals between them if we are to have any chance of a decent finish. And I can’t see that happening. Early days I know so fingers crossed things change soon. The longer we go without scoring never mind winning becomes a problem and puts pressure on everyone. 

4 hours ago, Sick_Valiant said:

Wilson looks a real plodder to me

Really? I think he's worked really hard each time he's played and has been a little unlucky not too score but here's my problem....... We keep playing long balls to him and thats not his game.  We need to be playing balls into his feet in between the lines to build the attack draw the CB's out of position for others to exploit. He needs a bit of time to form a strike a partnership with Proctor.

I think part of the problem is that most of the players don't have any connection to Port Vale, it is just a job to them. If we had signed them under previous managers the term "journeyman" would probably been applied to some of them, not in a positive way. They are going through the motions but don't have that extra determination that makes the difference. You can see that Wilson has class but he doesn't really bust a gut to score. This is the problem with recruiting players from a catalogue. Better than using YouTube I guess. 

1 minute ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I think part of the problem is that most of the players don't have any connection to Port Vale, it is just a job to them. If we had signed them under previous managers the term "journeyman" would probably been applied to some of them, not in a positive way. They are going through the motions but don't have that extra determination that makes the difference. You can see that Wilson has class but he doesn't really bust a gut to score. This is the problem with recruiting players from a catalogue. Better than using YouTube I guess. 

The question would be then, which players with a connection to port vale should we sign who are better? 

Does every club's best player have a connection to the club?

1 hour ago, Vale1995 said:

One player i have been slightly disappointed in so far not writing him off as only three games but think mel benning has been really poor so far. seems a bit lightweight and not really effected the games in anyway

Do you think he is a LWB? I don't think he is. Whenever I remember him playing against us for Mansfield he played LB. Solid enough defensively but very dangerous offensively with overlapping runs using the LM to put crosses in 1st time to good effect. To me he doesn't looked comfortable at all playing LWB where you need a ball carrier like Monty was. I just think we need to go to a back 4 with him a LB.

By connection to the club, I meant players like Montano, Brisley, Joyce and Brown who had become established at the club. I understand the need to release players and sign new ones but I think the wholesale changes of over half the squad, half the coaching staff, all of the youth team apart from Eden Bailey was too much. 

Suppose if you're a cup half full person you can say that even though there's still clearly a lot more to come, we've lost one league game out of three and even that was to a rather fortunate goal. All good sides are built from the back. Just think at home we need to be going after teams a bit more and keeping the ball much better ourselves. 

By connection to the club, I meant players like Montano, Brisley, Joyce and Brown who had become established at the club. I understand the need to release players and sign new ones but I think the wholesale changes of over half the squad, half the coaching staff, all of the youth team apart from Eden Bailey was too much. 
The alleged 'extra determination' as you put it of the 4 you mention didn't do us much good for years. Get a grip man. Give me a half assed Walker Jones etc over them any day of the week. They've already shown that they're miles ahead of what we've released in performances

21 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I would agree I do think it was a bit wholesale but at least with this there are no excuses that he hasn't got his own players if it does not work out 

6 minutes ago, philmpv said:
22 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

The alleged 'extra determination' as you put it of the 4 you mention didn't do us much good for years. Get a grip man. Give me a half assed Walker Jones etc over them any day of the week. They've already shown that they're miles ahead of what we've released in performances

i think in fairness the jury is still out on the new players certainly no evidence to suggest that Benning is miles ahead of Montana or that Johnson / Martin are miles ahead of Brisley as back up centre halfs  or that Covolan  is miles ahead of Brown or even Walker being miles better than Joyce.

But once settled in after 10 games or so we hope the new signings will start showing a difference compared to the old ones... if not then the consequences are unthinkable , i.e. doomed to at least another season in League 2.

Archived