onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

I think we have the makings of a decent team, but we are being held back by the formation we are playing.

I hate 352, so maybe I'm a little biased, but we need to change it to either 442 or 433.

We seem to get the ball in to good positions at times, but the final ball, touch etc let's us down.

Another frustration for me last night was that when we got in those good positions there was no one in the box.

Advert

I've been very impressed with the investment off the pitch. If we're going to improve on the pitch, we need just a little bit more investment in a decent striker. 

With what we currently have, I think Proctor and Wilson need a run of games together to try and form a decent partnership. 

If this happens, hopefully we can get them both scoring regularly by mid to late September. 

Rodney needs to be used as a lone striker away from home and a left winger at home. He could be a good impact sub but he's, in my opinion, got no footballing brain at all and is the most frustrating player we've got.

Woz is the best player we've got and is consistently on his game. He's had a bit of stick today from some, which I think is unfair after just one game where he looked average. 

Its probably easier to coach a new set of players to be defensively solid than it is to train lots of attacking patterns of play. Thats one of the reasons why international football can often be so turgid.

I think we do now have the passing ability to unlock defences but it takes time for that all to click.

Until then i'd like to see a bit more old fashioned wing play and taking players on. One of the simpler ways of creating chances. It might not be what we are aiming to do lots of longterm but might get us a few goals to get us up and running. 

I've seen a ton of Twitter posts from fans saying "we need a proven striker".

But what chances did we create for our strikers tonight that a "better" striker would have scored?

It doesn't matter who we have upfront if we just keep hoofing the ball up to their head or down the channels.

We are getting there. Clarke did warn us his team's start slowly.
At least we are not conceding goals at an alarming rate like we used to.
I just still feel there isn't loads of goals in this team.
Early days yet and I hope to be proven wrong but Wilson looks a real plodder to me, not the type of player I thought he was. I can only assume his serious injuries have changed him as a player.

22 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I've seen a ton of Twitter posts from fans saying "we need a proven striker".

But what chances did we create for our strikers tonight that a "better" striker would have scored?

It doesn't matter who we have upfront if we just keep hoofing the ball up to their head or down the channels.

We did create chances though, OK non were tap ins.  Wozz could’ve had a couple of goals.  There were various shots blocked, including one cleared off the line.  We had a couple of good headed chances that looked more like clearances than attempts on goal.

Nobody looks like they’re going to burst the net at the moment.

38 minutes ago, valiant steve said:

Woz is the best player we've got and is consistently on his game. He's had a bit of stick today from some, which I think is unfair after just one game where he looked average. 

Yeah a lot of that was kneejerk and really harsh considering who it was aimed at. One game below his normal standard, and miles out of position. Mental to be giving him pelters, and the booing at the end won't help either. 

33 minutes ago, Sick_Valiant said:

We are getting there. Clarke did warn us his team's start slowly.
At least we are not conceding goals at an alarming rate like we used to.
I just still feel there isn't loads of goals in this team.
Early days yet and I hope to be proven wrong but Wilson looks a real plodder to me, not the type of player I thought he was. I can only assume his serious injuries have changed him as a player.

Should we accept that his teams start slowly ? What's wrong with starting fast ? Should Clarke accept his teams start slowly ? Time isn't something afforded in the game these days. Fans turn very quickly if things aren't going well especially after all the promise of pre-season and the end of last. 

31 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

We did create chances though, OK non were tap ins.  Wozz could’ve had a couple of goals.  There were various shots blocked, including one cleared off the line.  We had a couple of good headed chances that looked more like clearances than attempts on goal.

Nobody looks like they’re going to burst the net at the moment.

But as I said, what chances did we create for our strikers? The clamour to sign a "proven striker" baffles me. What we need are "proven creators" if anything.

What clear cut chances have we created?

We either hope someone gets on the end of a cross, hope their defender makes a mistake, or hope something drops to us kindly in the box. That's our attacking play.

6 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Can the groundstaff please measure the width of our goalposts?  That's 4 times in last two games that the woodwork has saved the opposition!!!

Maybe put the white nets back on as well 😀

3 minutes ago, TEXAS said:

Fans turn very quickly if things aren't going well especially after all the promise of pre-season and the end of last. 

Sounded to me like they turned last night. 3 league games in and booed off already. 

But as I said, what chances did we create for our strikers? The clamour to sign a "proven striker" baffles me. What we need are "proven creators" if anything.
What clear cut chances have we created?
We either hope someone gets on the end of a cross, hope their defender makes a mistake, or hope something drops to us kindly in the box. That's our attacking play.
Spot on. I think some are expecting Messi, or a similar type who can basically do it all himself

Archived