onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

I was a bit surprised Proctor was subbed, he was doing OK  One problem we have playing Rod and Wilson up top is that neither can head a ball.  Even if the service was any good they ain't going to be winning too many headers against your typical Div 4 centre half.  The other problem for DC is that the strikers seem to have no understanding of one another and are rarely close enough for any interplay.

It's not just the strikers, as others have said, we look really disjointed as a team, alarmingly so at one stage, to the point we looked like we'd fall apart.  Fair play to the lads for digging in and I felt we actually finished the stronger, Carlisle being happy just to spoil and waste time as the second half wore on.

At the moment it's all a bit deja vu, the opposition playing the better football but we create the better chances, without taking them.

Advert

44 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Shut down far too easily in the second half. Worrall should have had the game won by then. Carlisle had more control of the game overall.

Concerning stuff going forward but a few kneejerk, frustration-borne responses tonight. We had 7 points from 9 and 0 goals conceded at this stage last year, and then completely collapsed. 

Legge continues to defy age and, when we bothered to get the ball into his feet, Walker is technically a class above. I'm not yet enamoured with either Benning or Garrity. 

Benning is far and away the biggest disappointment for me at the moment. I expected great things from him

Less hoof and a bit more composure will see us right. We need to control the game abit more and play to our strengths. 2/1 Vale. UTV

Way too much hoof ball in the 2nd half, dire football. 1st 25 we played some good stuff and had it not been for the hesitant Wozza we’d have been 2 to the good

It  was a typical Vale under Clarke performance. We scrapped away, with very little quality or cohesion and scraped a point. It is always going to be that way, the way we play at this moment in time.

We are bang average.  At best.

Well watched it tonight and I must say there were a fair few situations where we should have burst there net open and a clear a penalty as can be not awarded again .

Legge was supreme and as the game went on  thought we looked the more likely win it but not to be .

2 clean sheets in 3 games and I'm looking at the  stats and ok Carlisle had 3 on target and 7 off but no clear cut opportunity just hopeful bangs when we were loose first half yet funny enough even though they were the better side in that half we should have had 3 goals twice where Worrall has got the goal side of his marker but not reacted quick enough slam it home and Garritys had a free header which he should have buried  

Second half much better Amoo had a shot saved against the post and someone had a header cleared off the line .

Rodney watching him frustrates me he as the pace get past players yet seems do not do enough .

A fair scoreline in the end but we need capitalise on these wonderful through balls .

UTV 

The last couple of games has reminded me of this old Jasper Carrot joke :-

"I was at Birmingham's first match of the season on Saturday and bought a ticket for their golden goal competition.

If the time on my ticket matches the time they score I could win a £1,000.

I opened the ticket and it read “October”.

Ever the optimist, especially with only only three games in stuff, but we listen to all the detail and analysis from DF / DC and end up still playing mainly hoofball, so I'm not sure how the plan of opening the opposition up fits in to the thinking. Two decent away performances except we're at home. 

Our forward play is devoid of creative movement, making final third link up play almost non existent. I know that we've hit the woodwork a few times, but in 180 minutes of home football, surely you would expect to create something to be worthy of note anyway 

Generally seem to be playing 10-15 yards too deep, with little urgency to close down from the front, allowing opposition too much time and midfield possession. 

Must admit,  I expected better than this, even in these early days, but just a bit concerned that this style of play will be difficult to change from, the more we play it.

Still hoping there is more to come from our new players who have arrived with glowing promise but have yet to show their potential.  

Overall, no panic from me, but improvement  required  in order establish a positive identity factor.

4 hours ago, eh up nah said:

Definitely missing something up top at the moment.  We need to find it pretty quickly or we're going to be playing catch up this season.

Fingers crossed the lad coming in before the window closes has got something.

Have to say I'm enjoying the games though and found it pretty disgraceful that there was booing at the end.

Absolute morons.

If people think tonight was boo worthy, where the hell have you been for last 5 years?!

Spot on it wasn't even that bad three times we have got behind them and 3 times we were slow to smash the bloody thing in the net .

Second half people will say it was scrappy but I'd say we improved 32 per cent possession to 68 first half end of game 49 to 51 that means we made some positive nullifying changes and got hold of the ball more I thought we looked the fitter side as the game wore on .

2 clean sheets 20 should give us promotion but i agree with another poster Smith cannot effect the game going forwards yes ge can defend I'm not convinced he can attack Legge does enough to bring in a attacking centre half to play along side him .

It’s frustrating but football is a funny game Rodney will shank one then off we go , it’s not like we are not making chances is it? When you think we hit the woodwork twice 5 shots blocked all going in . Tbh it could of been 4 tonight but it will change .

6 hours ago, Beech said:

Who said he should be dropped? I haven't seen anyone say such a thing.

Have a look at the last few pages. Plenty of people have given their teams for the next game without him in. Ok they didn't directly say it, but they think he should be dropped. 

Think people should calm down abit , it’s practically a new team that play good stuff just need abit more in final third but defence looks good . 
People on radio joke calling for Clarke’s head is bonkers!! If we are 18th at Christmas fair enough but bleeding hell ! But for better officiating and a stroke of luck we’d be in the second round of league cup and in the play of positions!! 
Chill !!!

6 hours ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

The last couple of games has reminded me of this old Jasper Carrot joke :-

"I was at Birmingham's first match of the season on Saturday and bought a ticket for their golden goal competition.

If the time on my ticket matches the time they score I could win a £1,000.

I opened the ticket and it read “October”.

I can only see us at best grinding out a 0-0 on Saturday 

A poor performance certainly brings out a lot of different faces on here and also a lot of knee jerk reactions. The goodwill build up by players, in particular Rodney and Worrall after last night, soon gets forgotten and they're seemingly written off in that knee jerk reaction. Saying Rodney will never make a footballer is just a ridiculous statement. 

Archived