onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

That was a really really poor 2nd half. We lacked real conviction in the box, players look scared of having a shot. Nobody is attacking the ball in the box - too many players are just waiting for something to happen. Zero creativity just aimless balls upfront most the match. Very hard watch,.

The team looked very pedestrian playing 352 which was more like 532 most of the game. Why are we playing not too loose at home? FFS nowhere near good enough.

Can we please stop playing Rodney as a central striker he offers absolutely nothing. Keep it simple play him wide and let him push the ball past his man.

Very very very frustrated by the lack of cohesion. We have most of the ingredients but not making the most of it.

Positives -: I thought Walker's passing in midfield was superb and Leon was immense in the air.

Advert

Phil Sherwin territory soon. 5 league games without a goal .

Felt we huffed and puffed and just got frustrated.

Yet again horrendous referee , the one in injury time at the paddock was almost a rugby tackle on Pett. Blatant cheating from Guy faking a head injury and the goon who kept getting cramp. 

A very frustrating evening. Didn't rate them one little bit apart from the right back. 

12 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

Completely agree. Okay we haven’t won yet but with a bit more luck we have 6 points from the last 3 games instead of 2.

The team needs time to gel and we haven’t been outplayed in any game so far, so we have to be hopeful things will click and then pick up some wins..

Rather win a football match based on ability rather than having to rely on luck !!!!! ☹️

Thought we were fairly poor tonight but I’m not hitting the panic button yet. Let’s look at the positives. Again didn’t look like conceding, that’s two clean sheets out of 3 games. Hit the woodwork twice again. That’s 4 times in 2 games. A couple of inches either way and we’ve scored 4 goals. Shows how our luck just hasn’t been in. This time is still new and will take time to gel. Definitely positive signs for sure.

Negatives tonight. Still not sold on Covolan. Came for a ball in the first half he clearly hadn’t called for and Jones cleared it, looked dodgy. Kicking poor again. Will still wait to see him more before I form an opinion on him.
Far too much hoofball yet again. There were some instances where an obvious pass was on and we launched it up and lost it. It was also very frustrating with the lack of urgency at the end. Jones in particular was guilty of this at the end, as instead of passing to Amoo he kept waiting or going back to Covolan.

Overall if we took our chances we could be talking about a win here. We seem hesitant to shoot. E.g. Worrall early in first half waited to pull trigger and got tackled. Then there was Rodney in the second half where he held the ball for an age before shooting. Maybe just a lack of confidence? Hopefully we can kick on and get a win at Stevenage.

Although I didn't agree with the booing at the end, I think it was borne out of frustration more than anything else.

A new striker isn't, as I've said before, magically going to get us scoring. All 3 strikers we have will score if presented with better chances than we're creating currently. It's the crossing that baffles me. Every corner seems to fail to beat the first man (Benning mainly the culprit) or is simply floated aimlessly for the GK to grab. When we do whip a cross in from open play, there seems to be no design to it at all, just hit and hope.

I'm more encouraged than negative at the moment. It will come, but it needs to come quickly to stop fans giving up already. Those who are saying this team is no better than last years? Get a grip. If you can't see the massive improvement in passing, ball retention, intelligence and all round quality already, then you know absolutely nowt about football.

The system does need to change, or he needs to drop Worrall. There's no point playing him in the role that he is. Go 433 with Cass behind him, or play Cass as RWB and bring Worrall on when you need to change it.

Things that were / are blatantly  obvious and many said before the season started. 

1) 352 always becomes 532. Unless your a top side it always happens. Change it. 

2) Rodney is better out wide than up top. 

3) Worrall is wasted and does not work at RWB. 

DC just got to a back 4 for the next game please. We’re overly defensive and don’t need to be. We have signed some great players. Let them play, if we lose, we lose. We will win more than we lose. All of the above is solved by go going back to 433 / 4321. 

42 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

He’s comfortable as a kick it and head it centre half. When he’s right as a back 3 he’s expected to carry the ball out, retain possession and offer to attacks. That cross at the end summed it up. 

What, you think Smithy with one  cross playing out of position was the problem? How many  crosses did we have from players who's job it is to cross that landed on target?

He's also  came closest for us with an over head kick against the bar, and an assister for the sitter against Northampton that Rodders missed.

Give the guy a break.

4 minutes ago, rider1308 said:

Rather win a football match based on ability rather than having to rely on luck !!!!! ☹️

I think the squad has the ability but just needs a little rub of the green to get the monkey of the back. The longer we go without a goal the more of an issue it becomes and breeds low confidence into the playing squad.

I’m still hopeful that with another addition and with a few changes to the formation that we will get there in the end.

it is way too early to be writing ourselves off with the first 3 games.

Archived